Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

06-20-2018, 10:32 PM   #1
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
HydroSilex feedback

I haven't seen much on this product so I want to give some feedback. I saw this on Detailer's Domain and decided to give it a shot because of the purported ease of use. I also have limited time for car appearance maintenance like I used to because I have small children, so cutting out the hour+ for traditional sealant & wax process is appealing.

I have a driveway with limited space and it's just two concrete tracks with fancy mulch all around, so I have to be careful. As a result I haven't hand washed my F80 in over 2 years now. I moved to this house and lost access to a nice concrete driveway and garage, so I've been spending my money at the $10 touchless washes and the occasional $40 "hand wash" places, trying my best to avoid swirls.

Anyway, last weekend for father's day my wife graciously allowed me to spend a few hours detailing my car while she took care of our infant and toddler.

I soaped it with my foam gun, 2 bucket hand washed it, gave it the Iron X treatment, used the clay bar to remove any remaining contaminants, dried it then applied the HydroSilex per instructions.

So far I'm quite impressed. It went on super easy, did not leave streaking and polished up great. It didn't matter if I sprayed it on trim, glass, anything. I put it everywhere, the paint, wheels, trim, headlights, everything. My car feels like it has a coat of glass on it.

It's been three days and still feels great when I touch the door handles. Pollen isn't sticking to it very much and it doesn't feel greasy. I plan on going through touchless washes then applying more of the stuff immediately after in the parking lot since it's so easy and quick to apply. The instructions say it works best this way.

It's weird stuff. It almost feels too easy. You literally spray it on and wipe it dry. It's a viscous liquid and wipes up really clean, at least if you follow the directions and don't allow it to dry. Just be quick about it and you'll be done in no time. You can do the whole car in about 10 minutes. It doesn't feel like you're doing much but after it's on and dry it seems to cure very quick and suddenly everywhere on the car feels like it's coated.

Here's some pics, and I'll try to keep this thread updated with feedback going forward.

Day of coating

And here it is after three days. Still looks great, not a lot of pollen is sticking to it, though I do have some minor gunk that stuck, I'll use a speed detailer to get it off. There's some fingerprints on the shadow trim near the windows but that wipes off easy. I plan on washing it through a quick wash this weekend or next week and immediately applying another coat of the hydrosilex.

Last edited by mephiska; 06-20-2018 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 4
KevinM2935.50
Poiseuille5392.50
boss2k1085.50
      06-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

Did you apply it to the exterior rubber trim around the windows?

I'm trying to figure out how to clean and maintain that part of the car. Still find it ridiculous there is so much exposed rubber on this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
Teeone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I am very happy with hydrosilex

Last edited by Teeone; 06-21-2018 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: Spelling correction
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #4
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JibSTir13 View Post
Did you apply it to the exterior rubber trim around the windows?

I'm trying to figure out how to clean and maintain that part of the car. Still find it ridiculous there is so much exposed rubber on this car.
Yes, everything. And the trim now feels smooth. It won't darken and shine the rubber like typical armor all type stuff, but it makes it all extra hydrophobic.

Day 5 and car still feels like glass. I have no garage so it's outside, exposed.
      06-21-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeone View Post
I am very happy with hydrosilex
What's your cleaning regimen? How often are you applying it?
      06-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #6
Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Its an easy product to use, using it dry will help in not running thru it. Using it wet, you use alot more.

It is great to top a coating with it, but I'm not sure I would call it a coating, more of a great sealant.

That being said, I need to order some more.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 07:38 AM   #7
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

So far so good. Easy to apply. Slick feeling. Great shine. Sheds brake dust better (but not completely, lol). I'm going to try Sonax Xtreme Spray and Seal next. The short clips I've seen on that look impressive too.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #8
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
Its an easy product to use, using it dry will help in not running thru it. Using it wet, you use alot more.

It is great to top a coating with it, but I'm not sure I would call it a coating, more of a great sealant.
Agreed on using it dry. I didn't use all that much, maybe 1/5th of the bottle. The instructions say it's intended to be used on clean paint as a base layer, not on top of other sealants or waxes, then layered on top of itself.

They are a bit contradictory on the website though, they say it should last 6-8 months, but then say it's intended to be multiple coats, so I'm not sure what they mean. I doubt one coat of this stuff will last that long, but I'm okay with that, I'll be adding more coats after runs through a touchless wash every week or so for a couple weeks to build up a good layer.
      06-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
JibSTir13
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
Yes, everything. And the trim now feels smooth. It won't darken and shine the rubber like typical armor all type stuff, but it makes it all extra hydrophobic.

Day 5 and car still feels like glass. I have no garage so it's outside, exposed.
Please post some photos of the treated trim if you have time, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #10
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JibSTir13 View Post
Please post some photos of the treated trim if you have time, thanks.
Here you go. It's getting a bit dusty now at 6 days. I brushed some of the pollen off with my hand, still smooth feeling.

06-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #11
cs11787
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CP

Did you do any PPF or Ceramic Coating? My car will be here in 2 weeks and I'm debating PPF, Ceramic Coating, or just taking the risk and cleaning and maintaining it often with something like this.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #12
JibSTir13
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
Here you go. It's getting a bit dusty now at 6 days. I brushed some of the pollen off with my hand, still smooth feeling.
Looks good! Appreciate the photos.
Appreciate 1
mephiska515.00
      06-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #13
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs11787 View Post
Did you do any PPF or Ceramic Coating? My car will be here in 2 weeks and I'm debating PPF, Ceramic Coating, or just taking the risk and cleaning and maintaining it often with something like this.
Nope. Bare naked. And I went 2 years of just touchless washes and occasional "hand wash" drive through type of car wash businesses. Before I moved I had a coat of CG JetSeal and Butter Wax on it and I'm sure that was long gone.

Get the PPF if you can do it prior to or immediately after taking delivery. I was planning on it but the logistics didn't work out as the dealer I was buying from was over an hour away and I had an 18mo old and a tired wife to help at home. My car's not in bad shape but I do have rock chips on the hood and bumper. YMB is nice in that it doesn't show swirls that bad, though I do have a small bit despite my best efforts to keep it away from rotating brushes.

Last edited by mephiska; 06-22-2018 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 01:49 AM   #14
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Thanks. I was going to order a bottle after the last Hydrosilex thread and forgot. I"m always looking for a durable sealant that is easy to apply. Right now I'm using Sonax PNS on the M3 (still using Zaino the my other Ms because I've been doing so since I bought them). Have you used PNS and if so, any feedback on differences?
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #15
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Thanks. I was going to order a bottle after the last Hydrosilex thread and forgot. I"m always looking for a durable sealant that is easy to apply. Right now I'm using Sonax PNS on the M3 (still using Zaino the my other Ms because I've been doing so since I bought them). Have you used PNS and if so, any feedback on differences?
I have not tried PNS, though after reading your thread I'm inclined not to. This stuff is not grabby and isn't quite as picky about overspray as PNS seems to be. HydroSilex is way, way easier to apply and fast. Only takes about 15 minutes to do the whole car and feels like glass.

The main drawback is price. I've applied it twice now and I'm about halfway through the $35 16oz bottle. I figure with two coats I can switch to maintaining it with Griot's Spray-On Wax while I dry the car.
      06-28-2018, 09:24 PM   #16
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
car looks great, but I just love the lic plate
Appreciate 1
mephiska515.00
      06-28-2018, 09:45 PM   #17
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
car looks great, but I just love the lic plate
Thanks! I mean it too. I've got two little ones with two car seats in the back and a my little pony sticker on the back of the passenger seat. My daughter loves it when I go through tunnels with the exhaust valves open.
      06-28-2018, 09:50 PM   #18
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I'd actually be curious to see what DetailersDomain says about it now compared to PNS. They are currently promoting HydroSilex on their homepage and with a thread on their forum and blog. Yet they had this to say about Sonax PNS in your thread back in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
Sonax PNS I feel is currently the best sealant out there for the money. Beading properties are up there with some of the best coatings and last for up to 6 months.
      07-01-2018, 07:53 PM   #19
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

great review glad you are enjoying the product.

pns is still one of the best however to me, PNS never felt smooth to the touch, and is a little trickier to use.

beading - sonax
easy of use - hydrosilex
slickness - hydrosilex
Appreciate 2
mephiska515.00
      07-01-2018, 08:21 PM   #20
Teeone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I just finished washing my car and applied hydrosilex for the third time. I love this stuff. It is so easy to apply with no streaking if too much is used. I put it on the entire car - paint, glass, carbon, rubber door trim, etc. I use the two bucket method ( 3 actually, as I have a separate bucket for wheels). Have ppf on the front, hood, mirrors, rockers and wheel arches. This is my new go to finisher. Ps - I tried applying it to a wet car and I don’t think I will use that method again. Seemed very wasteful with minimal results (no comparison in the results category yet I used 2x as much).
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #21
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Quote:
I just finished washing my car and applied hydrosilex for the third time. I love this stuff. It is so easy to apply with no streaking if too much is used. I put it on the entire car - paint, glass, carbon, rubber door trim, etc. I use the two bucket method ( 3 actually, as I have a separate bucket for wheels). Have ppf on the front, hood, mirrors, rockers and wheel arches. This is my new go to finisher. Ps - I tried applying it to a wet car and I don’t think I will use that method again. Seemed very wasteful with minimal results (no comparison in the results category yet I used 2x as much).
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #22
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Are you using an additional sealant as well? Or has Hydrosilex become your sealant? If so, what has been your experience of the durability? Thanks.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0