BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Sponsor M3/M4 Project Cars Showcase

Closed Thread

07-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #67
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM3 View Post
The fact that GSR can't even reply to their own thread or post more dyno files makes me think they don't have a thing.

Any company that has developed a tune would be more open and wouldn't have a problem to post any info regarding the new tune.

I say GSR don't have a tune or not even close to have one.
This is either really exciting or going to be some serious egg-on-the-face embarrassment... Come on GSR - post up some proof!
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #68
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Couple of things for everyone to keep in mind:

1) You don't always have to crack the encryption, you only need to find a way around the implementation. Cell phone Jailbreaks are a great example of this. You don't attack the encryption head on, you look for deficiencies in the way that the encryption is implemented. Encryption is tremendously complex and very easy to get wrong.

2) Plenty of "CIA grade encryption" (whatever the fuck that is) gets "cracked" every day. OpenSSL, which is one of the most developed security libraries on the planet suffered from a little something that you might have heard about on the news: the heartbleed vulnerability. With this vulnerability, it doesn't matter if you were running a 4096-bit private key, the attacker could use the vuln to cause your server to leak the private key to untrusted clients.

3) Automotive ECU encryption gets a small fraction of the attention that is paid to things like web server security and cell phone jailbreaks. The companies that make web servers and cell phones are technology companies at their core, yet their shit gets cracked all the time. With the right amount of resources directed at their systems, I have serious doubts that BMW's implementation is completely unbreakable. You don't get to set the rules when the attackers come for your software.

I'm not saying GSR has done the unthinkable, but I am cautioning everyone to believe in the infallibility of the encryption that BMW has implemented. All encrypted systems look hard... until they're broken.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #69
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Curious if you are using ESYS to accomplish this.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #70
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Couple of things for everyone to keep in mind:...
Excellent contribution.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #71
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

As a newbie to this forum, as well as a newcomer to flash tuning, can someone give me a quick rundown of what this is exactly.

You connect a car to a computer and it comes out with 50 more HP? Why didnt BMW just do this from the factory? How can you squeeze another 50HP without any hardware upgrades? Will it void the warranty?

Fascinating stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #72
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:

1) You don't always have to crack the encryption, you only need to find a way around the implementation. Cell phone Jailbreaks are a great example of this. You don't attack the encryption head on, you look for deficiencies in the way that the encryption is implemented. Encryption is tremendously complex and very easy to get wrong.

2) Plenty of "CIA grade encryption" (whatever the fuck that is) gets "cracked" every day. OpenSSL, which is one of the most developed security libraries on the planet suffered from a little something that you might have heard about on the news: the heartbleed vulnerability. With this vulnerability, it doesn't matter if you were running a 4096-bit private key, the attacker could use the vuln to cause your server to leak the private key to untrusted clients.

3) Automotive ECU encryption gets a small fraction of the attention that is paid to things like web server security and cell phone jailbreaks. The companies that make web servers and cell phones are technology companies at their core, yet their shit gets cracked all the time. With the right amount of resources directed at their systems, I have serious doubts that BMW's implementation is completely unbreakable. You don't get to set the rules when the attackers come for your software.

I'm not saying GSR has done the unthinkable, but I am cautioning everyone to believe in the infallibility of the encryption that BMW has implemented. All encrypted systems look hard... until they're broken.
Agreed... but how could one have translated the entire ECUs tables within days lol? This begs to ask, what are they actually modifying? Encryption is only one part of the process.
      07-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #73
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep

bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Agreed... but how could one have translated the entire ECUs tables within days lol? This begs to ask, what are they actually modifying? Encryption is only one part of the process.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #74
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian
As a newbie to this forum, as well as a newcomer to flash tuning, can someone give me a quick rundown of what this is exactly.

You connect a car to a computer and it comes out with 50 more HP? Why didnt BMW just do this from the factory? How can you squeeze another 50HP without any hardware upgrades? Will it void the warranty?

Fascinating stuff.
This is an easy answer as it hasn't changed since the first tuner started poking around with " points" and carbs

- the manufacturer designs, road tests, and tunes a vehicle for performance, reliability, and also a certain amount of fuel economy ( which is then tested and rated by the EPA in the US) and also provides a warranty.

- a tuner can provide more power but generally provides little to no guarantee of reliability ( note that this is not saying that the tune is not reliable) , and furthermore provides no warranty, with the exception of Dinan Engineering, who will warranty the vehicle for any failure caused by their products. Fuel economy may or may not suffer, depending on the tuner.

Is the OEM warranty voided by a tune? Yes , if the tune is what caused the failure then the manufacturer will not warranty it, and again, aside from dinan, the tuner doesn't provide any warranty

As far as further tuning, yes it's possible but generally dialing up the boost leads to less reliability, particularly over time
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:44 PM   #75
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

LOL at people pretty much asking for GSR's trade secrets.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #76
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

399-339 isn't 50whp guys.
      07-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #77
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM3
The fact that GSR can't even reply to their own thread or post more dyno files makes me think they don't have a thing.

Any company that has developed a tune would be more open and wouldn't have a problem to post any info regarding the new tune.

I say GSR don't have a tune or not even close to have one.
Haha. They're running a shop which is their primary business.

You think they have time to be sitting on the computer 24/7 answering all of these questions?

I'm sure they will respond when it is convenient for them.

Everyone here is always so damn needy for answers instantly. Chill out.
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #78
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by abe12345
Lack of low rpm torque is NOT turbo lag. After reading that I have trouble believing any of the qualitative claims
I didn't like the way that this was worded either, not to mention very few people have reported noticeable lag.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #79
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

saw this car along with the 228i at buttonwillow on saturday..in fact, this car is at the end of my video

how was she running there? which run group?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #80
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post

399-339 isn't 50whp guys.
That point is just at 2785 rpms.... What exactly are you talking about? You're reading the torque curve, too.

'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #81
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep

I think asking questions to a company that will obviously try to sell this and start possibly voiding warranties is not something to laugh at. Unless this is a BMW tuned file then warranty should be OK. Get me Think back to 2007 when AC Schnitzer copied the Alpina B3 BMW file and tried to re market it as their own in the 335i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #82
m3heaven
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
Haha. They're running a shop which is their primary business.

You think they have time to be sitting on the computer 24/7 answering all of these questions?

I'm sure they will respond when it is convenient for them.

Everyone here is always so damn needy for answers instantly. Chill out.
+2
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #83
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
What trade secrets? You mean the same things someone asks for when there is a new tune in town? Or the same things that were asked of M5 tuners with flashes that couldn't substantiate anything?

No one is asking for their encryption algorithm or how any part of that was bypassed. I think it's common sense to ask for a log of a stock car and a tuned car showing a few basic tables that would have needed to have been modified to make these changes. Cobb provided about 50 tables when the N54 flash was released lol with 0 holding back and allowed the user to make all changes. Except that took a year not days.

There is 0 secrets here if you can do this.
      07-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #84
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR Autosport
To answer a few pressing questions from M3/4 post members and put some anxious minds at ease:

- Yes, the ECU flash is real, this is not a hoax! No smoke and mirrors, its not a reported Yeti sighting Hehe

- Yes, the ECU flash is done via the OBD2 Port just as the factory would do it.

- Yes, the Max speed limiter is deactivated (See Video Link on previous post)

- Data Logs and Related Information: We will post more information in the coming weeks as we are currently developing tunes for the F10 M5, the GSR 228i Racing Project, the 650 and 740 non M Turbo V8s, and the current Generation 35i engines.

Please be patient as there is a massive amount of work involved in bringing these products to market utilizing proper testing methodology and validation processes. It is our goal to present the community with the best possible products that combine amazing performance with factory reliability.

As you can imagine having an OBD2 Flash available for the current Untunable generation of vehicles is no easy feat. While we are new to this Forum, we are an established and respected company. We have a very talented and experienced team which brings unique technical capabilities to the BMW Marketplace. Check out our New Sponsor Intro Post or give us a call to find out more
Why don't you post the boost logs from your baseline and tuned Dyno's? That data should already be available and easy to show us!

GTS
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #85
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I would like to know what BMW has as far as tuner codes and flash tracking on the ECU.
      07-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #86
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I heard some hearsay somewhere that the system on the M5 used a "rolling" encryption such that on each power up there is a different key and this was a contributing factor to the difficulty there. I also heard additional hearsay that one work around (for the M5 and likely as well for the M4) was just buying a new ECU.
Hearsay.....
+1 lmao
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #87
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky1215 View Post
When they release this and M5 tune, we can all laugh at Dinan's piggyback system that costs few thousands dollars.
I'm pretty sure most people are laughing at it now.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #88
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

1) You don't always have to crack the encryption, you only need to find a way around the implementation.
Exactly. If someone can dream it up, someone else can dream up a way to bypass it. Look at DVD encryption - a 12 year old kid wanting to play DVDs on his Linux system cracked it.

Right now, some part in the engine has to decrypt the encrypted code in order for the engine to function. Many design-arounds flow from this one detail. Can't have anything too complicated or it will mess up - some DVD/Blu-ray schemes were so complicated that a normal (e.g., Sony, Panasonic, etc.) player couldn't play them back, resulting in irate customers. So can't have anything complicated or the engine won't work.

IMO, BMW is just shooting themselves in the foot doing things like this. On the sport compact side, many companies, like Subaru, are "tuner friendly" and so enthusiasts prefer to buy those cars because of the many mods that are available. Some of the local Honda dealers saw the mods and started selling third party mods to cash in. One dealer I talked to used to install a 3rd party supercharger in a brand new car (Civic Si) and sell it off the lot that way.
Closed Thread