ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

07-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #67
Zero4910
///Mmmm Good!
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Wow. Super awesome pics!!!

On another note, did you or any Of your ED buddies have any issues with your cars? Tired of seeing all the "bad" posts and only a few good "initial impressions". I'm guessing you guys drove a lot.
[ Black Metallic Sapphire | Black Ext. Merino Leather | 18" Silver-Light Alloy Wheels | 6 Spd Manual Transmission | Carbon Fiber Trim| Driver Assistance Plus / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Moonroof / Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #68
JL M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4910 View Post

On another note, did you or any Of your ED buddies have any issues with your cars? Tired of seeing all the "bad" posts and only a few good "initial impressions". I'm guessing you guys drove a lot.
Funny you should ask, because I was just thinking about that after reading another thread. Between the 22 of us, we drove over 30,000 miles, including some hard drives - spa , ring, 140+ mph on the autobahn, etc.

There was only one problem. And it wasn't even an issue really. We were at spa and a plug came loose in one car (forget which plug). Plugged back and problem solved. Oh, and a few people ran out of gas, lol. So I'd say...22 cars, 30k miles, 2 tracks, no "real" issues...the cars did pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #69
MDrill
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Great photos and awesome experience. Thank you for sharing.
For those of you who are thinking about doing this..
1- if your brand new M car breaks down while in Germany, BMW will check your car to see if you went over 5500 rpm or did something stupid. If you did, they may very well void factory warrantee and you will be responsible for your own repairs.
2- as you are NOT supposed to rev above 5500 rpm until your car hits 750 miles, driving on Nurburgring will not be much fun and too risky.
3- if you cause an accident while participating in track days in Europe or while driving on Nurburgring, and or if someone bumps into you, your euro insurance will be voided and you will have to deal with the mess on your own.
4- there are spies ( not kidding ) from all major car rental companies to catch you driving on Nurburgring and if caught by photographs, you will face so much hell, you will wish that you were man enough to pay 1000 bucks to drive one of those properly prepared swifts/ rental race car for few laps instead.
I may get shit for posting this but know what you may have to face if something goes wrong.
      07-22-2014, 11:41 PM   #70
GBPackerfan1963
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5 2007 E60 550i

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL M3 View Post
Funny you should ask, because I was just thinking about that after reading another thread. Between the 22 of us, we drove over 30,000 miles, including some hard drives - spa , ring, 140+ mph on the autobahn, etc.

There was only one problem. And it wasn't even an issue really. We were at spa and a plug came loose in one car (forget which plug). Plugged back and problem solved. Oh, and a few people ran out of gas, lol. So I'd say...22 cars, 30k miles, 2 tracks, no "real" issues...the cars did pretty well.
For those who ran out of fuel, did you take possession of their "man cards?"
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #71
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL M3 View Post
Two totally different experiences IMHO. As background, we were at Spa for 12 hours and at the Ring for less than 2 hours (that's how long public session lasts).

If you don't have a ton of track experience like me (or maybe even if you do), Nurburgring was like visiting an interactive tourist attraction. You don't really drive/race around the ring, you just kind of hold on for dear life and hope you don't crash. At same time, you're thinking...omg, omg, I can't believe I'm freaking doing this. I just checked this off my bucket list!!

For Spa, it was a full on track/driving instruction day. So you get the full on driving experience. But you're doing it on one of the most amazing tracks in the world. The feeling of approaching Eau Rogue is awesome. And because of our amazing guides, RSR Spa, I did several lap where I did not see a single car. That just doesn't happen in my neck of the woods (Southern California) So in that environment, I felt much more comfortable to push my car than I was at the ring.

So both absolutely amazing, but for different reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELPhilly View Post
If I were to pick one, I'd definitely do spa, no question. You can push the car there, but it's forgiving enough that you shouldn't get into too much trouble. The ring, however, is impossible for the average person to memorize, and while amazing in its own right, I think that spa is far more fun.

Plus, the ring is crowded and if you make the smallest mistake, you'll be paying thousands of euros to "repair the road." I did some accidental off roading at spa and apart from scaring the hell out of me, no harm, no foul. The same slip up would have resulted in a massive fine at the ring.
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. I do have track experience and have been tracking and autocrossing for over 10 years now so I'm not a total n00b but have never been to either of those tracks.

From my friends who have gone to the ring they suggested going when they first open to minimize traffic as they do let tons of cars on. So I'd get my 6-10 laps in and call it. It is hard to say, I feel like I know MY limits but it's just an unfamiliar track and a few hundred turns that I would not be able to get the hang of in 2 hours.

I might have to do both - I'm not sure if I can live with myself going to the ring and not driving it! But I'll sit on it for another few weeks and decide - maybe cooler heads prevail. I think I'll try and do the day at Spa, although the RSR day is not coinciding with our schedule right now. Might have to reschedule the trip around to make it work.
      07-23-2014, 12:34 AM   #72
GBPackerfan1963
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5 2007 E60 550i

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. I do have track experience and have been tracking and autocrossing for over 10 years now so I'm not a total n00b but have never been to either of those tracks.

From my friends who have gone to the ring they suggested going when they first open to minimize traffic as they do let tons of cars on. So I'd get my 6-10 laps in and call it. It is hard to say, I feel like I know MY limits but it's just an unfamiliar track and a few hundred turns that I would not be able to get the hang of in 2 hours.

I might have to do both - I'm not sure if I can live with myself going to the ring and not driving it! But I'll sit on it for another few weeks and decide - maybe cooler heads prevail. I think I'll try and do the day at Spa, although the RSR day is not coinciding with our schedule right now. Might have to reschedule the trip around to make it work.
Do it. I already have my Nürburgring lap card in my possession. I don't plan to go crazy, I just want to say that I've been there. A check off of the bucket list.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #73
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrill View Post
1- if your brand new M car breaks down while in Germany, BMW will check your car to see if you went over 5500 rpm or did something stupid. If you did, they may very well void factory warrantee and you will be responsible for your own repairs.
2- as you are NOT supposed to rev above 5500 rpm until your car hits 750 miles, driving on Nurburgring will not be much fun and too risky.
3- if you cause an accident while participating in track days in Europe or while driving on Nurburgring, and or if someone bumps into you, your euro insurance will be voided and you will have to deal with the mess on your own.
4- there are spies ( not kidding ) from all major car rental companies to catch you driving on Nurburgring and if caught by photographs, you will face so much hell, you will wish that you were man enough to pay 1000 bucks to drive one of those properly prepared swifts/ rental race car for few laps instead.
I may get shit for posting this but know what you may have to face if something goes wrong.
Just saw this post. I haven't heard about the 5500rpm / warranty thing but I have heard of the insurance hell. Kinda why I want to just rent the swift / 1er at the 'ring. It's expensive for just 6-10 laps but especially on the 'ring I think it might be worthwhile....
      07-23-2014, 01:39 AM   #74
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Yas Marina Blue M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
Impressive pictures and unbelievable mountain views. I'm sad I missed the majority of the trip.
Excuse to go on more road trips once you get your car back!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 01:44 AM   #75
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Yas Marina Blue M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Man looking at these pictures i really wish I could have stayed with you guys for the whole trip down to Stelvio pass, nonetheless I had the time of my life and made some great friendships! looking forward to a reunion!
We'll have to do a reunion right when you get your car too! We'll probably get it around the same time, if I had to guess. (They will have to replace my bumper after cracking the bottom when I drove off from the photo taking grass...)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 02:17 AM   #76
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

post of the year thus far! Thanks for sharing! LOOKS AWESOME
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 02:23 AM   #77
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
Can you cite an instance where this has happened or provide an official document from BMW stating this?

Quote:
If one is planning to do a European Delivery of a M3/4, and not drive on the Nurburgring or hit the speed limiter on the autobahn, I would recommend buying a 320i instead.

Quote:
Most types of auto insurance aren't meant to cover track days. How would an incident on track cause your insurance to be voided? Are you speaking from experience? Did you try to use the BMW provided insurance to cover track damage?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 02:25 AM   #78
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
I might have to do both
If you can afford it, this is the only way to go. Spa, the Nordschleife and the Nurburgring GP circuit were all a blast!

The only downside of this trip is that all future European deliveries will pale in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 04:40 AM   #79
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Some amazing photos, thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:04 AM   #80
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

@chowbow @Reid @GBPackerfan1963

Quote:
BMW AG might void your warranty... but BMW AG have no power over BMW NA. Its my understanding that the warranty's are separate - just like the companies are.

I've seen guys on Bimmerpost who are in the military and have mod'd their car's with a tune... while over here they try to get warranty work done... BMW AG will void their warranty. The dealer doesn't even know whats happening as the "mother computer" reads and reports the offending car's vin. Then its game over in Germany.

But when the car gets to the states... the warranty there still is fully covered. Not sure why this is, but I've read more than a few posts telling of this scenario.

Quote:
BMW says... not to exceed 170 kph or 5K rpms for the first 2K kms. But you can rev past 5K... BMW just says that it should be avoided. No full throttle starts or high engine loads. After that 2K kms... they say to gradually rev the engine higher and higher, until the 5k km mark. After that, you can drive will "full power" when you like.

Obviously some ED guys do not adhere to this "guideline" from BMW.

And btw... the car's launch control feature will not work until the first service has been done - by a BMW dealer/Zentrum(at 2K kms).

Quote:

Not sure about this. Nurburgring is a public "toll" road so the insurance from the ED plates should be ok. I think BMW AG knows a lot of their customer's take their new cars to the 'Ring.

Quote:
Yes, this is true. The spies are from the major rental companies(Sixt, Europcar, Avis, Budget, Herz, etc)... IF they see you have taken their rental car onto the 'Ring... you will be fined and banned from ALL rental companies over here. The spies work together for ALL the rental companies.

But every once in a while, you do see a rental car on the 'Ring...

Name:  SIXT Z4 rental car....jpg
Views: 715
Size:  44.3 KB

I've heard that Sixt is going to get some 'Ring-rentals for the next season. This is the First prototype for there Z4 ring-rental program. I hope this is really true. ?

Best thing is to rent a real race car from these RSR guys... They even have a new Castle tour with classic cars or sports cars. You can even rent a M car for this!

http://rsrnurburg.com/road-tours/cla...d-castles-tour

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:13 AM   #81
Euroboost91
Private First Class
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

Looks like an awesome ED! Definitely something I want to do down the road with a new F80!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:21 AM   #82
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

epic
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:44 AM   #83
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Well done! These photos are significantly better than most of the snapshots we get to see on here.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:57 AM   #84
gongtowjai
I'll Kung Fu Panda your ass
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 XDrive

awesome pics...hopefully, I get to experience this one day...
      07-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #85
Zero4910
///Mmmm Good!
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero4910 View Post

Awesome! Now take what you just wrote, start a new thread, and calm people the hell down!
[ Black Metallic Sapphire | Black Ext. Merino Leather | 18" Silver-Light Alloy Wheels | 6 Spd Manual Transmission | Carbon Fiber Trim| Driver Assistance Plus / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Moonroof / Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #86
BVSEDJESUS
Rep
Drives: Camry -_-

watched the video for the white M4. really cool.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #87
SF848
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
can we have a high res pic of this wolf pack
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...1&d=1405671570
Working on getting a few of them uploaded now, will let you know when they are completed
Retired

335iS Alpine White (ED 10.1.10) / 128i Montego Blue / Ducati 848 Dark SBK / Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #88
SF848
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
& @ando

Glad to see you guys really enjoyed the trip to Stelvio and back. Looks like all the cars fit in Fancesca's Post Hotel(Trafoi, Italy) "small" parking lot! But what a view that parking lot has! She told me she enjoyed having you all guys staying at her hotel.

Sorry I could not meet up with you guys. Anyways... what an awesome tour you guys had!

Dackel
The Fancesca's Post Hotel was great! Everyone was really nice and the food was amazing. I would highly recommend staying there when going to Stelvio.

Thanks to everyone from Bimmerpost that helped make this trip possible! It really was a unforgettable experience.
Retired

335iS Alpine White (ED 10.1.10) / 128i Montego Blue / Ducati 848 Dark SBK / Ducati Monster 696

Last edited by SF848; 07-23-2014 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 1