European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
Paletero
Essentially Auto
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Management Interview Questions (School Assignment)

I am currently taking a Management and Leadership class and I'm writing a paper on "Are Leadership and Management Different?" I need to interview a mid level manger or higher. I have some interview questions below and would really appropriate anyone's help. If you do not want to post your replies on the forum you can pm me your answers.

Thanks for your help!

1.) What is your title, position, name of company, and how long have you been with the company?
2.) Do you think management and leadership are the same?
3.) What do you think defines a good manager?
4.) What do you think defines a good leader?
5.) What do you think are the roles of a manager vs leader?
6.) What are some issues your organization is having? Do you feel this can be solved with better management or leadership? Why?
7.) As a manager what is your role at the organization?
8.) Do you feel you are not only a manager but a leader as well? Why?
9.) Do you believe managers and leaders are made or born?
10.) Do think an organization can only operate with leaders or only managers? Why?
11.) Tell me a little about your day to day challenges and your approaches to resolving them.

Last edited by Paletero; 04-24-2017 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

This is a leader right here.

Appreciate 1
Crimson921381.00
      04-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #3
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Sound like self assessment I absolutely hate doing this shit every year.
Sorry man I couldn't be more help
      04-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Wouldn't this be a more meaningful exercise if you spoke to someone you know or otherwise could confirm meets the criteria vs. someone you never met on the Internet?
jaye9441010.00
      04-23-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Here's a few.
What is the corporate culture of your firm?
Tell me about a difficult situation you faced and how you handled it.
What were the biggest challenges you faced movong into your role as a manager.
What is the corporate structure of your firm.
How easy or hard is advancement?
How long are people typically at your level at your firm?
What would you change about your role of you could
What is your favorite part of the job
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 11:05 PM   #6
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Would help but there's a lot of personal info you're asking for (like "who's the leader?"). I mean, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving out the name of the Exec.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Management and Leadership are two completely different things/idea.

There are managers that are worth a shit in the leadership category. There are junior analysts (heck even interns lol) who are leaders.
      04-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

You can teach management, you can't teach leadership.
Appreciate 2
      04-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #9
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
You can teach management, you can't teach leadership.
There are hundreds of leadership schools - guess they are just a waste of time.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #10
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
I would argue that just because you go to school for it you aren't cut out for it. There are math majors and then there are people who are just great with numbers. Two different things.

Now, if you have leadership attributes and go to leadership schools that will unlock other things. If you never had leadership in you, well that schooling is not going to do shit.
      04-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #11
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Interesting medium for your assignment asking on a forum. I`m bored so here goes:

1.) What is your title, position, name of company, and how long have you been with the company?
Former Branch Manager, CIBC (Bank), 2 years (currently in a non-management role with a different company left CIBC on my own terms).

No, but a good manager will have good leadership qualities. You can be a leader without being a manager.

A good manager is a good leader. Good communication, empathy and transparency are key to maintain `buy-in`of the individuals you manage. You are there for the company that employs you (that shouldn't be a surprise) and to get the best out of your team. Knowing those people and how to get the best out of them involves many strategies, but sincerity in getting the best out of everyone and thus yourself will get you there.

A good leader is someone who manages risk while having an appetite to take on a challenge and better whatever they are working toward. If that is profit or some other goal. Being a good leader is motivating those who work in your team to do their best to get to that common goal. Respect and communication will help you discover what needs to be done to get everyone on board (or off board).

The difference to me is someone who purely evaluates the end performance of their team as a defined roll "versus" someone who leads the team toward success in a common goal without it necessarily being defined to them as their objective. Having said that, this is where "positions" in a company may blur my definition for a manager versus a 'team leader'.

6.) What are some issues your organization is having? Do you feel this can be solved with better management or leadership? Why?
I will not be specific to my organization because I think these challenges are widespread for all organizations. It's simple, the proper amount of reward and recognition is a constant battle. It doesn't always have to be a cost issue. Proper recognition of accomplishments and 'did wells' can go a long way. Finding the right people to buy into this mantra and commit to it regularly and consistently is the issue. That issue can be solved with tools in place to support this structure by all leaders at all levels.

I manage my teams to deliver exceptional service while increasing profits for the shareholders of the company. In the end, my team and I fall into the group of shareholders as well as those who benefit from the financial success of the organisation.

I feel I am a leader as I am able to obtain the commitment for my team as we work toward a common goal.

Honestly, I think that's a terrible question. Certain qualities come from learning and gaining knowledge along the way. I hope from my answers you were able to derive some common trends and qualities. No one is "born with it"; management and leadership is not a Maybelline advertisement.

10.) Do think an organization can only operate with leaders or only managers? Why?
The line is blurred by organizations to define roles; that's why your question even exists! Leadership is a quality of a good manager (among other attributes). To answer the question every organization needs a good leader. Depending on the size and goals within a larger organization, certain objectives will need leaders heading the team focused on that goal or objective. Define that leader how you want (manager, team lead, guru etc.).

11.) Tell me a little about your day to day challenges and your approaches to resolving them.
Motivating everyone to the common objective or goal. It's that simple. Everyone is different and thus is motivated in different ways. They have their own lives that in many different ways can affect how they work as an individual within the team, as well as how they work with the rest of the team. Consistent cohesiveness of everyone is always a challenge along with encouraging teams to get the best out of each individual person. My success has been through good communication, appropriate transparency, empathy and honesty. Coach and record, motivate and inspire. That's all.

Last edited by 3GFX; 04-24-2017 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 02:56 PM   #12
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
I've worked with all kinds of folks who've been to all kinds of leadership programs.....some were leaders many were not. I've worked for and with many leaders and I've done my fair share of leading......all of the leaders I know come by it naturally.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #13
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
I've worked with all kinds of folks who've been to all kinds of leadership programs.....some were leaders many were not. I've worked for and with many leaders and I've done my fair share of leading......all of the leaders I know come by it naturally.
The best schools / results from schools help innate leaders focus their messaging and delivery to become more effective communicators. Can't completely transform anyone but can make small to moderate improvements depending on what they have to work with.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #14
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
...focus ...messaging and delivery to become more effective communicators.
Key.

Quote:
...make small to moderate improvements depending on what they have to work with.
As with any learning we do in life. We always come away with something and can choose to utilize the knowledge or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
As with any learning we do in life. We always come away with something and can choose to utilize the knowledge or not.
Believe it or not some of this shit can be ridiculously easy to fix. Just a simple example, worked with a CEO who had a habit of using the same phrase over and over and over again as he spoke. It was like a verbal crutch instead of saying um or just taking a beat to think, this was his go-to. It was to the point where 2 minutes into any discussion people quit paying any attention to what he was saying and started counting how many times he hit his phrase.

You'd draft a speech with him and it was incredibly on-point, polished, clear messaging etc. but none of it ever got through.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #16
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
...worked with a CEO who had a habit of using the same phrase over and over and over again...
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2017, 03:59 PM   #17
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, it was just like that.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 04:07 PM   #18
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paletero View Post
I am currently taking a Management and Leadership class and I'm writing a paper on "Are Leadership and Management Different?" I need to interview a mid level manger or higher. I have some interview questions below and would really appropriate anyone's help. If you do not want to post your replies on the forum you can pm me your answers.

Thanks for your help!

If it is in a real world situation, asking number 2 to that mid-level manager is all you need to find out if he/she is a the candidate.

Quote:
Schools and classes can't teach how to become a leader in real world situation. Experiences matter.
Appreciate 1
3GFX722.50
      04-24-2017, 04:09 PM   #19
bd307
Chef
Rep

Quote:
Naturally and by experiences are key
Appreciate 1
3GFX722.50
      04-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #20
bd307
Chef
Rep

Quote:
lol just did a search on this company.

http://initechinfo.com/

Didn't know they exist for real. Thought it was just the movie.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #21
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

This is a good one. Seems like everyone is on the right track. Anyone can be a manager. Not everyone are leaders. The one thing I will disagree about is learning leadership. There are some instances like the military, college, your job, sports, that may bring out leadership qualities that were in you the whole time, just not activated.
      04-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #22
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
This is a good one. Seems like everyone is on the right track. Anyone can be a manager. Not everyone are leaders. The one thing I will disagree about is learning leadership. There are some instances like the military, college, your job, sports, that may bring out leadership qualities that were in you the whole time, just not activated.
That assumes you had them. For example I can't stand working with senior management who are basically super analysts they're smart but don't have a fucking clue how to lead lol