proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #485
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Used Taurus's are cheap and plentiful to find.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 07:51 AM   #486
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Just test drove 340i, which reviews indicate has very minimal turbo lag.
indeed the turbo lag has improved over the n55 but it's still there and I just don't like it...I envy those of you who like turbo lag, so much more out there on the market for you...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #487
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
It might be nuts, but you might want to give a Camaro SS (6.2 L V8), Challenger/Charger 392, or Mustang GT350 (flat plane V8) a test drive. Totally different experience--like I said, I should not like this big American muscle but I do. But they don't have that lag issue and are responsive NA. The Camaro and Mustang handle pretty well too these days.
funny enough I went from a 2014 cayman s to a 2015 c7 for something different that had low end torque but the gm programmed laggy throttle response and the size of the car and poor visibility really made me dislike that car so I sold it 3 days later and went back to the cayman...i do want to test drive the gt350 though[/QUOTE]

I drove an X5M with the 4.4 litre V8 and some american muscle cars and can say that they seem to have power at any rpm, it's nearly impossible to be in the wrong gear. Maybe the i8 will also be similar (have yet to drive one) with the electric motor filling in the torque gap of the ICE.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #488
FrostyDC4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C63S Sedan|350Z

Garage List
2007 Nissan 350Z  [0.00]
2012 BMW 135i  [4.50]
Quote:
nicely put...it is that rubber band like lack of connection that puts me off
I think what you guys are experiencing is DBW/throttle lag (or the throttle not opening 100% at WOT) not turbo lag. This is VERY pronounced in the auto & DCT cars but was non-existent in every MT N54 & N55 car I ever drove. For example, if I downshift to 3rd to pass in my DCT car and take the car to redline the engine feels like its not giving the full gusto until the next upshift.

The N54-N55 cars pretty much make peak torque off idle (both auto, DCT, and 6MT) & provide instant response at low revs (very pronounced in the auto cars).

When I think of turbo lag I think of the N20/N26 which has to be taken past 3k before it starts moving.
      07-16-2017, 07:02 PM   #489
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I drove an X5M with the 4.4 litre V8 and some american muscle cars and can say that they seem to have power at any rpm, it's nearly impossible to be in the wrong gear. Maybe the i8 will also be similar (have yet to drive one) with the electric motor filling in the torque gap of the ICE.
My girlfriend picked up a low mileage M6 grand coupe (manual) that to my suprise came with a Dinan tune. That V8 TT engine is an absolute beast but the power delivery (to use the 2 stroke analogy) is like a old 500cc GP bike. Being such a heavy car, it is nearly impossible to get the power to the ground once the turbos kick in. The torque (~650 ft/lb) will overpowers the tires in all but 5th and 6th gear The first time I drove it, I spun the tires at 90mph with no problem. You can use 1st, 2nd, or 3rd to get the car rolling with absolutely no protest from the engine. At 20 mph, the car with tell you to shift all the way to 6th for fuel economy. Does the car have lag? It's hard to say. The throttle response is immediate (almost feels like the S65), but a split second later your faced with double the torque. I'm sure you could get use to it, but I wouldn't want to put that car on the track. That being said, I can't imagine a better car for a long trip down a long open highway.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 07:32 AM   #490
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Can't find a car that inspires me

So I've recently test driven a bunch of cars and thought I would share. I am looking to find a car that turns my crank and makes me smile like the 981CS did when I first got it. As of late, just like so many things in life, my 981CS has become normalized and some of the aspects that I used to love don't speak to me in the same way. I have been trying to find a car that makes me grin like my 981CS did and where get that "I just really want this car" feeling after driving it.

So I've tried in recent months:

2013 Audi S5. The example I drove was tastefully modified with a slight drop in suspension and a tuned exhaust. It was a nice car, but the throttle response wasn't as crisp (I think superchargers still have a slight lag), the sound was not as enticing. I didn't walk away with that "I want to make the switch now" feeling.

2016 M4, the turbo lag on this car was atrocious and it felt like a big car, not even close

2016 M2, nice car overall, loved the dimensions and visibility, buttery smooth engine, decent sound, but again the turbo lag was noticeable

2017 bmw 340I, heard great things about the new inline turbo and while it is smooth and strong, it still has turbo lag, transmission was also jerky

2013 e92 M3, torqueless, made my 981CS feel torquey, also felt like an older car, which it was.

2015 Audi RS5, wonderfully smooth engine, sounds great, sharp looking car, but the transmission had lag on upshifts, the e92's dct was much better in this regard

2015 Jaguar f type coupe S, engine had a coarsness to it which was immediately obvious driving it back to back with the rs5, the exhaust was a little grating after a while in dynamic, and not engaging in normal

2014 mercedes c63 amg coupe, wonderful engine, lots of low end torque and great sound, nice compact dimensions and good visibility, but the transmission had bad lag in upshifts,

2016 jag f type coupe r awd, this car actually made me smile and giggle, it's the closest I've come to that feeling of wanting to make the switch, it makes amazing sounds and has instant effortless power at any rpm, and I think it's a beautiful car, the lack of manual makes me hesitate, the zf 8 speed is pretty fast and instant in shifts with the paddles, but it's still not as engaging as a manual.

if the rs5, c63 and f type coupe r came in manual, I would have one of them, but i just think I would bore of paddle shifting rather quickly

a friend had a 430 and a 911 turbo manual at the same time and said the paddles became quite boring once the novelty wore off and he preferred the manual

SO...my latest target is a manual audi S5, 2012 and down, with the 4.2 v8,...

haven't driven one yet so we will see....I do find it disappointing that I have to turn to older models to find a car that will engage me in the same way the 981CS did, but such is progress....
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 07:43 AM   #491
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
So I've recently test driven a bunch of cars and thought I would share. I am looking to find a car that turns my crank and makes me smile like the 981CS did when I first got it. As of late, just like so many things in life, my 981CS has become normalized and some of the aspects that I used to love don't speak to me in the same way. I have been trying to find a car that makes me grin like my 981CS did and where get that "I just really want this car" feeling after driving it.

So I've tried in recent months:

2013 Audi S5. The example I drove was tastefully modified with a slight drop in suspension and a tuned exhaust. It was a nice car, but the throttle response wasn't as crisp (I think superchargers still have a slight lag), the sound was not as enticing. I didn't walk away with that "I want to make the switch now" feeling.

2016 M4, the turbo lag on this car was atrocious and it felt like a big car, not even close

2016 M2, nice car overall, loved the dimensions and visibility, buttery smooth engine, decent sound, but again the turbo lag was noticeable

2017 bmw 340I, heard great things about the new inline turbo and while it is smooth and strong, it still has turbo lag, transmission was also jerky

2013 e92 M3, torqueless, made my 981CS feel torquey, also felt like an older car, which it was.

2015 Audi RS5, wonderfully smooth engine, sounds great, sharp looking car, but the transmission had lag on upshifts, the e92's dct was much better in this regard

2015 Jaguar f type coupe S, engine had a coarsness to it which was immediately obvious driving it back to back with the rs5, the exhaust was a little grating after a while in dynamic, and not engaging in normal

2014 mercedes c63 amg coupe, wonderful engine, lots of low end torque and great sound, nice compact dimensions and good visibility, but the transmission had bad lag in upshifts,

2016 jag f type coupe r awd, this car actually made me smile and giggle, it's the closest I've come to that feeling of wanting to make the switch, it makes amazing sounds and has instant effortless power at any rpm, and I think it's a beautiful car, the lack of manual makes me hesitate, the zf 8 speed is pretty fast and instant in shifts with the paddles, but it's still not as engaging as a manual.

if the rs5, c63 and f type coupe r came in manual, I would have one of them, but i just think I would bore of paddle shifting rather quickly

a friend had a 430 and a 911 turbo manual at the same time and said the paddles became quite boring once the novelty wore off and he preferred the manual

SO...my latest target is a manual audi S5, 2012 and down, with the 4.2 v8,...

haven't driven one yet so we will see....I do find it disappointing that I have to turn to older models to find a car that will engage me in the same way the 981CS did, but such is progress....
Read up on the 4.2L V8 timing case oil leak just to make sure you want to get into that issue. The V8 has the timing chain at the rear of the engine, it takes pulling the engine to replace the timing case gasket.

A friend of mine had a 2014 S5 with the supercharged V6. That was a very nice car. She just sold it though for a 2017 Turbo, not sure why...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #492
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

GT350 seems like the car you're looking for
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #493
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Soooo, I have not tried all the cars on your list, but I have driven many of them. If you really like the F-Type, try a corvette C7 Stingray or Grand Sport. It doesn't seem obvious, at least to me, but after driving a CPO F-Type S about a month ago, and then driving a 2017 Stingray (which I bought), they reminded me of one another. Granted there are differences, but the personalities were somewhat simlar with the Corvette being a little more refined in normal driving and more composed in spirited driving. I would recommed checking a C7 out or at least putting it on your list even if to simply help you narrow down more of what you like or don't like.

I feel like it's very much addictive to drive, much like my 135is but has 100 more HP and 60 more tq. The torque band is very broad, almost like an N55 but no turbo lag. Power builds very linearly to redline and sounds wonderful especially with the Performance exhaust, which I also recommend getting (included in Grand Sport of Z51 package, optional in base Stingray).
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #494
1Bad540
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Many Bmws

go test drive a viper.... done! youll smile giggle and $hit yourself too!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #495
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bad540 View Post
Hope you got toilet paper !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #496
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
1st world problems...take the bus and let us know how you feel afterwards!
Appreciate 2
UPSROD945.50
jkoral1023.00
      07-22-2017, 09:15 AM   #497
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Sounds like you don't like turbo lag or transmissions. Get a tesla 1 speed
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #498
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
You need to go test drive actual sports cars. You'll get inspired
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #499
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

No way would I want an S5 with the V8. The 3.0 supercharged is much better.

As for the others on your list, I've driven most of them. Nothing really there that lights my fire outside of the F Type.

Speaking of which, you can now get them in manual. Also, try a manual Aston Vantage out. They're not the fastest or most modern things out there, but they sound fantastic, and have loads of character, which a lot of modern cars are lacking.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #500
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
GT350 seems like the car you're looking for
I have thought about it, but the size of the car discourages me. I really disliked the size of the C7 I owned for 3 weeks. In this instance size matters
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #501
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
Soooo, I have not tried all the cars on your list, but I have driven many of them. If you really like the F-Type, try a corvette C7 Stingray or Grand Sport. It doesn't seem obvious, at least to me, but after driving a CPO F-Type S about a month ago, and then driving a 2017 Stingray (which I bought), they reminded me of one another. Granted there are differences, but the personalities were somewhat simlar with the Corvette being a little more refined in normal driving and more composed in spirited driving. I would recommed checking a C7 out or at least putting it on your list even if to simply help you narrow down more of what you like or don't like.

I feel like it's very much addictive to drive, much like my 135is but has 100 more HP and 60 more tq. The torque band is very broad, almost like an N55 but no turbo lag. Power builds very linearly to redline and sounds wonderful especially with the Performance exhaust, which I also recommend getting (included in Grand Sport of Z51 package, optional in base Stingray).
been there, done that, moved from a 2014CS to a 2015 C7, within 3 days I wanted my CS back. C7 is big, low rpm partial throttle response is laggy so it doesn't feel all that quick unless you plant it all the time, just didn't connect with the car overall.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #502
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
You need to go test drive actual sports cars. You'll get inspired
I only have 1 car so it has to have some practicality...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #503
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
No way would I want an S5 with the V8. The 3.0 supercharged is much better.

As for the others on your list, I've driven most of them. Nothing really there that lights my fire outside of the F Type.

Speaking of which, you can now get them in manual. Also, try a manual Aston Vantage out. They're not the fastest or most modern things out there, but they sound fantastic, and have loads of character, which a lot of modern cars are lacking.
I have drove a manual f type S last year, I didn't get inspired to make the switch

a vantage is too expensive but it has always inspired me
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #504
SportySpice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bad540 View Post
Is that a feature or a bug?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #505
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

I am loving my ZL1, it makes me giggle and grin like an idiot every time i drive it
Appreciate 1
Tepr05112.00
      07-22-2017, 11:23 AM   #506
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Quote:

I went from a '15 M4 to a '16 F-Type Coupe R, to my current '17 M3 ZCP, and now seriously considering going back to a '17 F-Type Coupe R (my M3 is up for grabs BTW). There is just something about that Jag!!! You'll love it!
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0