Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #155
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzm3 View Post
From karussell's M4:

6MT
YMB paint
Adaptive Suspension
USB bluetooth
1/4 tank gas

3,416 lb

Add 55 lb to convert to F82 DCT = 3,471 lb

vs. my stock E92 M3 3,484 lb

Where is the weight savings BMW??
RZM,

I believe we have consistently seen around 100 pounds weight-savings across similarly equipped models. I'm not going to ask every nuance of your model, but I'll question two things:

- If you are comparing your rear seat delete + race seats, then this is kinda a weird comparison....that's alot of freaking weight you deleted.

- Did you have fixed rear seat backs or fold-down rear seat? (I can't remember if e92 all came with fold-down rear seats). I know the e9x m3, the fold down rear seats were very heavy adding something like ~40 pounds to the vehicle compared to fixed rear seats. If you have fixed rear seats, you have a 40 pound advantage over a vehicle equipped like an f8x with fold down rear seats.

....While I think BMW's ~180 pound weight savings was bunk, and also assuming the absolute most optimized scenario, 100 pound weight savings have been pretty consistently seen.

I think the best weight-savings are comparing M3 sedans with fold-down rear seats and manual transmissions and otherwise stripped. The e90 fold down rear seats weighed ALOT, it didn't have a CF roof, and it's manual trans was notably heavier. BMW cut alot of weight from those items, plus the lighter front seats on the f80 and other things. This is just my experience.

The weight-savings lessens when comparing an e92 with fixed rear seats, CF roof, and DCT.
      12-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #156
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
rzm3... doesn't that mean the delta is 28 lbs + the weight savings from the rear seat delete and racing seats? Meaning the delta is larger? Racing seats and rear delete must be worth 80-100lbs, no? Delta now 100+ lbs? What am I missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
RZM,

I believe we have consistently seen around 100 pounds weight-savings across similarly equipped models. I'm not going to ask every nuance of your model, but I'll question two things:

- If you are comparing your rear seat delete + race seats, then this is kinda a weird comparison....that's alot of freaking weight you deleted.

- Did you have fixed rear seat backs or fold-down rear seat? (I can't remember if e92 all came with fold-down rear seats). I know the e9x m3, the fold down rear seats were very heavy adding something like ~40 pounds to the vehicle compared to fixed rear seats. If you have fixed rear seats, you have a 40 pound advantage over a vehicle equipped like an f8x with fold down rear seats.

....While I think BMW's ~180 pound weight savings was bunk, and also assuming the absolute most optimized scenario, 100 pound weight savings have been pretty consistently seen.

I think the best weight-savings are comparing M3 sedans with fold-down rear seats and manual transmissions and otherwise stripped. The e90 fold down rear seats weighed ALOT, it didn't have a CF roof, and it's manual trans was notably heavier. BMW cut alot of weight from those items, plus the lighter front seats on the f80 and other things. This is just my experience.

The weight-savings lessens when comparing an e92 with fixed rear seats, CF roof, and DCT.
Sorry for the confusion guys... my car is bone stock... I've updated my sig finally

To further clarify, my car has:

Folder down rear seats
Heated front seats
DCT
19" wheels
1/4 tank gas

Weighted even with floor mats, tire change kit... 3,484 lb. Rupes has similar results with his E92.
Appreciate 0