Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

02-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #89
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
335i owner
this leather quality is a joke, so is the rectangular navg. I can see the last few years of economic depression by looking at those picture. BMW sure knows how to cut costs on quality.
My only reply is how dare you call me a 335i owner. Why I never.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #90
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Elsa - 2015 F80 M3 - YMB/SS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
This basically the same car I ordered except for CCB, but Im starting to consider them.
So I'm a bit confused by this and all the other posts that I see with people saying they ordered cars. This is probably the wrong place to post this, and I guess a bit of a But, does anyone have a production number from BMW? Im pretty close to my local dealership and from what I understand, Dealers do not have allocations yet, they do not have actual ordering guides to place orders from, and there are no orders being placed to BMW other that the dealers single demo car.

Can someone clarify this?

D
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #91
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
335i owner
this leather quality is a joke, so is the rectangular navg. I can see the last few years of economic depression by looking at those picture. BMW sure knows how to cut costs on quality.
you're such an e9x apologist / troll, go back to the e9x forums.

have you even seen the m3/4 interior in person? guessing no. I have, and its a whole lot nicer with better materials.

so your opinion on this subject is worthless
      02-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #92
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

I hate leather. I prefer speed cloth.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #93
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definitive View Post
So I'm a bit confused by this and all the other posts that I see with people saying they ordered cars. This is probably the wrong place to post this, and I guess a bit of a But, does anyone have a production number from BMW? Im pretty close to my local dealership and from what I understand, Dealers do not have allocations yet, they do not have actual ordering guides to place orders from, and there are no orders being placed to BMW other that the dealers single demo car.

D
+1
      02-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #94
messm6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:

D
That's bc they haven't ordered them. They're probably on a list or somehow got the dealers launch car.. The full pricing isn't even released yet so there are no orders or allocations.. Only allocation for the launch cars and the preliminary launch guides.. I'm not sure why they say on order.. Wishful thinking I suppose. I have the first slot with my dealer and there's nothing we can do until real pricing is announced and allocations come in.. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #95
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
I hate leather. I prefer speed cloth.
The seat area is definitely more durable with the Speed Cloth. Won't get the leather seat sag at least. After 5 M cars with leather I opted for the cloth/leather interior and I love it!

My current '13 E92 interior:

02-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #96
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Well you weren't very clear, and your statement was typed in such a way that I believed it was your seat. Either way, that is one horrible seat (..and it's still the driver's issue rather than an issue with the quality/craftsmanship of the leather).
Look, I don't know what your deal is? I don't think it's my responsibility to make my post more clear because you chose to ignore the entire thread(including the ORIGINAL POST, lol) to help you avoid confusion. Also, to argue against my "OPINION" that is shared among many others who would agree that BMW leathers are a weak link in the interior seems odd to me. Compare any M3 interior that is 5yrs old to any Porsche 911(or even MB, Lexus an even Audi) that is twice as old and you will see what I am talking about.

And for the record here is just a few examples of threads(none of which I started) on here alone with similar complaints:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...46&postcount=1

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...13&postcount=1

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...leather+cracks

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...leather+cracks

Attachment 974362

Nothing stays perfect
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #97
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Nothing stays perfect
I don't even know how that comment is even relevant? Who said anything about things staying perfect indefinitely? The OP posted pictures of a brand new car on the show room floor and even if you ignore the dirt which can be removed/cleaned, you can already see the seat area sagging, some deep wrinkles in the bolster area and yes even some wear/early cracking showing on the bolster area. All things M owners are all too familiar with after a few years of daily driven Novillo leather. It just seems as if the leather BMW uses is too thin, and the dyes tend to flake of real easily. Again, there is many threads on this matter, no reason to belabor the issue hear.

Name:  seat sag.JPG
Views: 1170
Size:  52.7 KB
      02-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #98
curehead
Second Lieutenant
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72 View Post
Thank you, so Arnold Kontz will have not have the M3? If that's the case, do you know where the M3 will be at on Saturday? In your pics both cars are present at one dealer...or maybe I'm seeing things.

Sorry about million questions.
No problem. Arnold Kontz told me yesterday that they would definitely have the M4 this weekend, but weren't sure whether they would also get the M3. I suspect the M3 will either be at Arnold Kontz or Schmitz this Saturday but to be sure you should give them a ring a day before.
These pictures were taken at two different dealers.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #99
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
The seat area is definitely more durable with the Speed Cloth. Won't get the leather seat sag at least. After 5 M cars with leather I opted for the cloth/leather interior and I love it!
Mine, too. The durability is great and a damp cloth can clean the surface perfectly. You can also Fabreeze it for the summer months when you're sweating from the gym, for example. If it's an option...I'm staying with SC or an alternative to leather.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #100
curehead
Second Lieutenant
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
It just seems as if the leather BMW uses is too thin, and the dyes tend to flake of real easily. Again, there is many threads on this matter, no reason to belabor the issue hear.

Attachment 974436
Yes, anyway, I have to say that I noticed no such wear marks on the M4's black leather seats. If one is worried about wear marks, then I'd say black is the safer option
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #101
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by curehead View Post
Yes, anyway, I have to say that I noticed no such wear marks on the M4's black leather seats. If one is worried about wear marks, then I'd say black is the safer option
Black is such a boring color. I apologize if I sound offending but I would never get black leather in any car let alone an M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #102
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Elsa - 2015 F80 M3 - YMB/SS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by messm3 View Post
That's bc they haven't ordered them. They're probably on a list or somehow got the dealers launch car.. The full pricing isn't even released yet so there are no orders or allocations.. Only allocation for the launch cars and the preliminary launch guides.. I'm not sure why they say on order.. Wishful thinking I suppose. I have the first slot with my dealer and there's nothing we can do until real pricing is announced and allocations come in.. Hope this helps!
Yea, I didnt want to just come out and say that, but yea. I guess dealers are just taking peoples money "deposits" and telling them their car is "on order"... My dealership has no list cause they dont have allocations which is what all honest dealers should be telling their customers. I was offered the demo car, but I dont want it cause its white and will be driven to hell.

D
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #103
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

It would be awesome if BMW M offered half leather/half alcantara seats. I like cloth just fine but I think alcantara is just a bit sportier looking in cars of this caliber.

Any heavily bolstered seats are going to be subject to increased wear, regardless of the quality of the leather.

This is why I opted for the half leather/half alcantara option I mentioned above:

The "sport" seats on my F30 M Sport 335i, however, were not nearly as aggressive with respect to the bolstering. Consequently, they did not show much wear despite being all leather:

I think the driver's seat of the dealer/showroom car in the OP's photos was most likely subjected to a lot of people getting in and out of the car carelessly.

I know that when I enter/exit my current car, I put the seat all the way back to facilitate ease of ingress/egress. This mindful approach makes me look like a nutcase but it helps to keep the bolsters looking like new.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #104
messm6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:
Yea, I didnt want to just come out and say that, but yea. I guess dealers are just taking peoples money "deposits" and telling them their car is "on order"... My dealership has no list cause they dont have allocations which is what all honest dealers should be telling their customers. I was offered the demo car, but I dont want it cause its white and will be driven to hell.

D
Exactly! I didn't even have to leave a deposit. They have no list as well but I've bought 3 m's from them and they know I'm serious and will give me first production car.. I was offered demo as well but I want to do an individual interior in Amaro brown!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #105
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
Typical delicate crap leather in the Mcars. I am a longtime BMW fanboi and have owned so many, but this is my number 1 complaint about the interior when compared to MB, Lexus...etc.

Attachment 974321
i had exact same situation in my e60 M5 leather (same color as well). those stains actually clean up real easy with some leather cleaner. just have to do it once in a while. if you want to enjoy beatiful color, there are consequences imo. just dont be lazy about it lol
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #106
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
It would be awesome if BMW M offered half leather/half alcantara seats. I like cloth just fine but I think alcantara is just a bit sportier looking in cars of this caliber.

Any heavily bolstered seats are going to be subject to increased wear, regardless of the quality of the leather.

This is why I opted for the half leather/half alcantara option I mentioned above:

The "sport" seats on my F30 M Sport 335i, however, were not nearly as aggressive with respect to the bolstering. Consequently, they did not show much wear despite being all leather:

I think the driver's seat of the dealer/showroom car in the OP's photos was most likely subjected to a lot of people getting in and out of the car carelessly.

I know that when I enter/exit my current car, I put the seat all the way back to facilitate ease of ingress/egress. This mindful approach makes me look like a nutcase but it helps to keep the bolsters looking like new.
You and I both. My ingress/egress technique results in literally no wear on my seats. People from the 'mindful approach' camp will understand completely.

P.S. I, too, wish that BMW would offer alcantara again like they did with the ZCP E46 (..albeit without the airplane seat pattern; that kept me from opting for it the first time around, and going with Speed Cloth instead).
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #107
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:
I don't even know how that comment is even relevant? Who said anything about things staying perfect indefinitely? The OP posted pictures of a brand new car on the show room floor and even if you ignore the dirt which can be removed/cleaned, you can already see the seat area sagging, some deep wrinkles in the bolster area and yes even some wear/early cracking showing on the bolster area. All things M owners are all too familiar with after a few years of daily driven Novillo leather. It just seems as if the leather BMW uses is too thin, and the dyes tend to flake of real easily. Again, there is many threads on this matter, no reason to belabor the issue hear.

Attachment 974436

These posts worry me. On the "normal" cars, I don't see ( or don't see as many wear concerns ) as on the M cars. For all my non-M experience, I've never had any issues at all and my side bolsters were always pristine. I know the leather was more supple on the e9x M's compared to the non-M's and when I look at used cars, the side bolsters are always worn to my eyes. Yes, I do know it depends on the person's body type and their method of egress as well as leather mtc.

How is the material on the F8x M3/M4? Anyone compare this with the E9x M leather? Smoothness/texture, softness, other attributes?
      02-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #108
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
These posts worry me. On the "normal" cars, I don't see ( or don't see as many wear concerns ) as on the M cars. For all my non-M experience, I've never had any issues at all and my side bolsters were always pristine. I know the leather was more supple on the e9x M's compared to the non-M's and when I look at used cars, the side bolsters are always worn to my eyes. Yes, I do know it depends on the person's body type and their method of egress as well as leather mtc.

How is the material on the F8x M3/M4? Anyone compare this with the E9x M leather? Smoothness/texture, softness, other attributes?
Merino and Nappa are nearly identical in feel/texture and thickness. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #109
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
You and I both. My ingress/egress technique results in literally no wear on my seats. People from the 'mindful approach' camp will understand completely.

P.S. I, too, wish that BMW would offer alcantara again like they did with the ZCP E46 (..albeit without the airplane seat pattern; that kept me from opting for it the first time around, and going with Speed Cloth instead).
Haha great minds think alike! What does your technique consist of?

I was unaware that the E46 offered alcantara as an option. Very cool. I'm going to go check out some pics now.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #110
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Haha great minds think alike! What does your technique consist of?

I was unaware that the E46 offered alcantara as an option. Very cool. I'm going to go check out some pics now.

I essentially put one leg out of the car, and use my left hamstring to get me up and out (..occasionally I'll brace myself against the door jam). When I enter, I don't slide into my seat. I step in with my right leg, engage my hamstring for support, position my ass over my seat and sit. My bolsters love me for it.

Here's an alcantara pic from an E46 (..but without the alcantara steering wheel that was available as well):

Appreciate 0