Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-17-2023, 03:26 PM   #1
cptclutch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

GTS vs CS steering flash

I have a F80 Comp that I'm looking to flash to GTS/CS and couldn't really find reliable information regarding the difference in steering between the CS and the GTS flashes. Does someone have more information regarding the differences?

Seems like the GTS flash is far more common, but I've heard a few mention that the CS is actually their preferred as it is a bit lighter than the GTS.

I found the stock steering to have way too heavy on the center and then it gets lighter off center and leads to a strange non linear feeling. Looking for a more consistent lighter feel without any of the stiff dead on center feeling that the stock has.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 10:58 PM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I have a CS and flashed the GTS steering. I immediately noticed more road feedback in the wheel with the GTS steering. It's not wildly different, but you'll notice it if you have frequent seat time in the car
      11-17-2023, 11:34 PM   #3
cptclutch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I have a CS and flashed the GTS steering. I immediately noticed more road feedback in the wheel with the GTS steering. It's not wildly different, but you'll notice it if you have frequent seat time in the car
Appreciate it. I'll go with GTS.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 05:53 AM   #4
RobEvans
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82

I bought a app called protool so I can swap and change myself.

I put the GTS steering on
GTS traction control
GTS differential (recalibrate after)
CS Dampener (recalibrate after)

As well as coding off start stop and some other bits. I was skeptical I'd feel any difference but it actually feels so much better I haven't even tried the CS settings yet
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 09:08 AM   #5
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptclutch View Post
I have a F80 Comp that I'm looking to flash to GTS/CS and couldn't really find reliable information regarding the difference in steering between the CS and the GTS flashes. Does someone have more information regarding the differences?

Seems like the GTS flash is far more common, but I've heard a few mention that the CS is actually their preferred as it is a bit lighter than the GTS.

I found the stock steering to have way too heavy on the center and then it gets lighter off center and leads to a strange non linear feeling. Looking for a more consistent lighter feel without any of the stiff dead on center feeling that the stock has.
Steering coding for GTS and CS is the same
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2023, 09:39 AM   #6
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Steering coding for GTS and CS is the same
All I can tell anyone is that I have an M2CS. When having my brakes coded I decided to try the GTS steering. I forgot about it. While driving the car a couple days later I had this WTF moment. What is this added vibration in the steering wheel? It was a negative reaction, not positive. I was annoyed by it. Oh crap, this is extra feedback. The GTS steering was the only change. It is my belief the the GTS coding damps the steering less than CS. Maybe a wheel weight flew off at the same time, I don't know. This was my experience and there is a small but noticable difference.

Is it worth it? I don't think it transmits meaningful added feedback on track. I kinda preferred the CS damping for DD, but you quickly get used to it and it's small difference. If you have other suspension mods that transmit more nvm ithe GTS steering may be unnoticed.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 09:55 AM   #7
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

M3/4CS uses GTS steering but M2CS (and M2C) use CS steering. That’s where the confusion is medphysdave.

IMO for F80/2/3, GTS steering is the def the best calibration all around - removes some of the artificial damping, loads up a bit more naturally.
      11-18-2023, 09:57 AM   #8
kubax86
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
All I can tell anyone is that I have an M2CS. When having my brakes coded I decided to try the GTS steering. I forgot about it. While driving the car a couple days later I had this WTF moment. What is this added vibration in the steering wheel? It was a negative reaction, not positive. I was annoyed by it. Oh crap, this is extra feedback. The GTS steering was the only change. It is my belief the the GTS coding damps the steering less than CS. Maybe a wheel weight flew off at the same time, I don't know. This was my experience and there is a small but noticable difference.

Is it worth it? I don't think it transmits meaningful added feedback on track. I kinda preferred the CS damping for DD, but you quickly get used to it and it's small difference. If you have other suspension mods that transmit more nvm ithe GTS steering may be unnoticed.
M2CS - F87CS settings
M3CS/M4CS/GTS - F82GTS settings
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2023, 10:10 AM   #9
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the clarification. Also glad I'm not crazy
      12-19-2023, 03:29 PM   #10
kablammo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x1 sDrive, e53 4.4, e36 M3/4/5

Can the early production vehicles 2015, 2016 NON-COMPS get EPS flashed to a later model? Is the hardware the same, just code is different?

Thanks in advance,

k
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 04:32 PM   #11
kubax86
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablammo View Post
Can the early production vehicles 2015, 2016 NON-COMPS get EPS flashed to a later model? Is the hardware the same, just code is different?

Thanks in advance,

k
Hardware is the same
Coding is the different
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 09:49 AM   #12
jbalabas
Private
Rep
Drives: f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablammo View Post

Thanks in advance,

k
I just recently did the full GTS flash to my 2015 f82.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 10:47 AM   #13
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

How would software calibration change what is typically described as feedback through the wheel during steady-state steering inputs? I can understand sense of resistance/loading as one turns the wheel, but things like vibrations from the road surface I don't see how software could alter that (this is more related to lack of a hydraulic system). Unless we're thinking that the EPS motor somehow, based on the calibration in place, applies some inverse function to effectively cancel out transmitted vibrations (like noise-canceling headphones)... but I'm pretty sure that's now how it works
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 09:48 PM   #14
cptclutch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Can anyone talk about the differences between the GTS and F87CS steering flash feel? I'm still feeling like the center feel on the GTS is too tight, even on comfort and makes the car feel a bit dead until you get some angle into it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 03:27 PM   #15
Rexican
Rep
Drives: NB miata

Can you do this via bootmod3?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 06:31 PM   #16
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexican View Post
Can you do this via bootmod3?
No. ISTA+, ISTA P and ISTA D are needed. There are also companies like bimmercode that has common coding features implemented and an advanced mode to do additional coding of other features. Also, there are companies that can remotely do the coding for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 06:47 PM   #17
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
How would software calibration change what is typically described as feedback through the wheel during steady-state steering inputs? I can understand sense of resistance/loading as one turns the wheel, but things like vibrations from the road surface I don't see how software could alter that (this is more related to lack of a hydraulic system). Unless we're thinking that the EPS motor somehow, based on the calibration in place, applies some inverse function to effectively cancel out transmitted vibrations (like noise-canceling headphones)... but I'm pretty sure that's now how it works
From my personal experience, going from base eps to GTS made a huge improvement in the overall performance and feel of the eps. It removed all of the dead spot on the wheel center. It also increased the steering effort. I did notice a slight difference in vibrations making it to the steering wheel. The only thing I can think of is there’s a torsional vibration damper/isolator in-line with the steering column. The GTS eps eliminates the dead spot on center and I don’t see how software alone can add/reduce sloop in the center of the steering (+/- 0 deg). The same mechanism may be in play with removing the dead spot and allowing more vibration to come thru the steering wheel. I haven’t looked into BMW eps so I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0