Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-10-2017, 07:36 PM   #221
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
I'd take the Vette GS too but it's not a better performer in all aspects vs. the ZL1...based on these cars' 1/4 mile trap speeds the ZL1 will be considerably quicker on the freeway, if that matters to you.
I guess I wasn't clear. I was comparing Vette GS to SS 1LE. I meant GS is a better performer in every aspect than SS 1LE.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #222
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

I drove the non-Z07 GS before buying my 1LE. The grip levels on both are so high there is not much difference in street driving. If you want the fastest thing at the track or like the look of the Vette it's still a good deal. The back tires are steamrollers.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #223
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
I will neve understand why domestics insist on being simply hideous inside. I mean not one is that attractive. Even the mighty tesla wreaks of GM inside. You step in the car and for the price it barely looks half what you expect. You can have a mighty platform and engine, but inside is where humans live. Devot a little effort to doing nice interiors or hire the interior designers from the European competition already! There is this believe we don't care or really appreciate beautiful interiors. Single biggest reason I still won't buy a domestic. . Fix that I'll consider one.
I have to disagree with this statement. There are some domestics that have great interiors. The perfect example is a C7 Z06 with the 2LZ/3LZ package. When i switched from my M4, i found the Z06 interior just as good if not better. Off course the iDrive is a lot better and the M4's leather quality is slightly better. But in terms of overall design, i love it. It truly feels like a cockpit in a exotic car. I wish the M4 had a digital dash - it is awesome!
Appreciate 2
swanson733.00
quattr0153.00
      07-22-2017, 12:22 AM   #224
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

I don't care about the backseat, as I would only use it for emergencies. If you can't fit back there, fine by me....then just Uber home. LOL

As for the M4 vs. the Stang vs. the Camaro, they're all really nice cars, but none of them are perfect. The fact that we even mention Mustangs and Camaros with M's shows just how far GM and Ford have come.

I had an M4, and I really liked the interior....but the exhaust note just wasn't pleasurable unless I was driving like a complete maniac (and I had an aftermarket exhaust and intake to boot). And overall, interior + exterior aesthetics, the BMW wins hands down, IMO. It looks mean and classy and has presence. Women love it, car guys love it and I never tired of looking at it myself (my Tanzanite was also dropped on coilovers).

The Stang sounds amazing, just amazing. And it's plenty fast enough. And it handles great. And the exterior is kind of nice, if you like Stangs anyway. But the interior, meh. If you're mostly living at that track and treating it as a weekend toy, the interior is definitely livable. If you drive it a lot, and plan to take it on long trips, just cruising down long interstates, you'll feel like you're in a rental car with an amazing engine. For me, this doesn't work, not for $65,000+.

The ZL1 is just badazz, super fast yet super docile when you're just cruising around. I really like it's dual personality. And it looks pretty good to me aesthetically, and the interior feels a little better to me than the Stang. But it has two terrible design flaws...one being the bathtub effect of the high window sills (so hard to see out of, and most will never get used to it)...and the center vents are at the bottom of the dash, so the air has to travel past your hand and arm first (so your hands will always be super hot or super cold since the air from the vent immediately hits your hands first - just a stupid design).

Of course both the V8s sound awesome, with the Mustang sounding OMG! sexy. But you can't turn it off.

The ZL1 can be loud too, but controllable from the cockpit so it can be much tamer (which I like). The LT4 will never sound as good as the Voodoo engine though, even with aftermarket exhaust and headers and whatever else you can throw at it. The issue is the LT4 itself, it's just LOUD, not sexy like the Voodoo. An LS7 it's not (which was in the C6, the last gen, and it sounded mahvelous, all the way to its 7200 RPM redline).

Of course the sounds is one the M's weakest traits, and it was always annoying to me when I stepped on the gas and heard that groan (even with the aftermarket exhaust). I always longed for a more substantial sound to match my speed - though when I was driving like a mad man, the engine sounded pretty damn good (like a race car).....but anything under 9/10ths and it was meh, and sometimes downright disappointing.

So, none of these wonderful cars are perfect, but the Americans have come a long way. Hec, I'm proud.

Honestly, if they just redesigned the Camaro cockpit and put the vents in the right place, and redesigned the exterior so that it doesn't look like a Hot Wheels car, I would buy one in a heartbeat....and I would have NEVER said that even 2 or 3 years ago.

Since I'm a road trip, country road kind-of-a-guy, I don't need awesome abilities at the track (though I'd go about once a year). So a redesigned Camaro with that 650 hp and 650 lb-ft of torque along with the Mag Ride suspension and adjustable exhaust checks all the right boxes.

And make mine a 6-speed please.

I loved my M, especially aesthetically. But I don't miss driving it all that much. The torque was great, but it was almost an on/off switch at times, which didn't fill me with confidence when I was really getting on it. The M is fast, and it felt fast....I'll give it that.

But, man, do I miss just looking at it....because my lowered Tanzanite M with spacers was one sexy beast. I may never own a better looking car in my life.
Appreciate 2
      07-31-2017, 08:10 AM   #225
Nothing
Roll Tide
United_States
Rep
Drives: White/red M3

I have thought hard about dumping the M3 in favor of the ZL1. I found a GT350R... still gets the fat $25k rich exclusive tax for some reason. I had a discussion with the Ford manager about it. He stubbornly stuck to his mindset and I told him that it was offensive. On the other hand, I have had great dealings with Chevy since they aren't treating the ZL1 like the GT350R.
      07-31-2017, 01:06 PM   #226
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
I have thought hard about dumping the M3 in favor of the ZL1. I found a GT350R... still gets the fat $25k rich exclusive tax for some reason. I had a discussion with the Ford manager about it. He stubbornly stuck to his mindset and I told him that it was offensive. On the other hand, I have had great dealings with Chevy since they aren't treating the ZL1 like the GT350R.
You can definitely do better the $25k over. There are a lot of people getting them for $2k-$5k over. Shop around. You cant go wrong either way.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 08:57 PM   #227
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
ZL1 1LE

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 10:11 PM   #228
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Such an impractical car for a daily but man that is some legendary engineering. After driving my 16 SS it was hard to believe you can improve that car much but that ZL1 1LE is just objectively impressive. Not everyones cup of tea but that is okay.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321115.00
      08-28-2017, 11:11 PM   #229
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

That Laguna lap time is very impressive.

ZL1 1LE - 1:34.30
Mustang GT350R - 1:36.11
BMW M4 GTS - 1:37.66
Appreciate 0