ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-10-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
jagged
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp M/T

I've been lurking around the forums to research about M cars. In my country, M cars are extremely limited and very expensive. I'm choosing between a new M2, an almost new M4, and a slightly used 1M. By the way, all M cars are generally very rare here so it's unlikely that the 1M will appreciate in value unlike elsewhere. Here are my pros and cons so far between the 3...

M2
+ almost all possible options included (Comfort Access, Park sensors + camera, Harman Kardon, etc)
+ as its in DCT, it can be an occasional city car and will be the most comfortable to use (I've live in a very congested country and even our weekend traffic is A LOT worse than weekdays in many other countries).
- interior seems more "ordinary"
- since it's brand new, I will take a big hit when it's time to sell

M4
+ Looks and feels quite premium even if interior doesn't have the expensive options
+ Price is almost same as the new M2 so might be best in terms of value
+ Most powerful on paper
- maybe a little bit too big?

1M
+ classic M car and highly regarded around the world
+ I'm almost sure that I can sell with almost zero depreciation
- I actually like the exterior but interior feels very dated
- with the car's age, parts probably needs replacement soon especially due to our extreme hot weather conditions

I'm not looking for a daily driver as I have other cars for that purpose. But as this will be my first M car and I would like to keep it for a while, I want a BMW car that represents the best M "driver's car" in terms of feel and fun.

I'm tempted with the M4 mainly because it seems the best value for money and more mechanically high tech. But I've been reading many good reviews on the M2 lately and with DCT and all the modern features in the package, it might be the most "practical". The 1M is sort of a 3rd choice for me as I'm more attracted to it due to its reputation as a collector's car.

So in terms of driving pleasure, would you say that M2 and M4 is very similar? For M3/M4 owners who have tried the M2, would you say that if you didn't have one yet, you might have just gotten an M2 instead if it was already available at the time? Or is the M2 sort of a downgrade in your opinion?

By the way, I do have a purely weekend car, a Porsche 997 Turbo S which is a rocket ship to drive. I hope I do not offend anyone but to M owners who also own Porsches, respectfully, would you say that the M cars represent more of a different feel and not step down?

Thank you very much for sharing in advance!

Last edited by jagged; 07-14-2017 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Go with the M4, while the M2 is a bit more nimble and easier to handle due to its smaller size, it lacks in terms of interior / tech. You can only get it with blue stitching on the seats no matter what color the car is and the leather quality of the seats is the crappy leather found on the non M cars like the 3 or 4 series, feels like a basket ball textured leather rather than real leather and is not as highly equipped in terms of tech/gadgets.

From what I'm seeing here locally in Dubai (your mileage may vary), the M2 resale value is not so great as well they are losing about 30% to 35% of their value in the first year

while the 1M is an awesome car, I personally wouldn't wanna own such an old car and start dealing with repairs and the hassle of that.

And yes, the M4 is the most powerful of them all, not only on paper
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I'd go with the 1M. ability to sell with no depreciation, and 6MT will be great.

My F80 was DCT and I realize (now that I am back to a 6MT car) that the fun of the 6MT outweighs the performance benefits of the DCT
Appreciate 2
quattr0153.00
Seniorleb528.50
      07-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
RIP1981
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80, Porsche Cayman S

Hi,

IMO yes, it is a step down coming from Porsche. But 997 is a bit old fashioned now. The new BMWs (M2/M4) are much more modern but lack a lot of traction in comparison.

For pure driving pleasure and NOT as daily for everything I would go for a more modern Porsche. They feel lighter, have more traction, are more agile and maneuverable in comparison with at least the heavy M3/M4 or bigger ...

But depending on what you are looking for. For drifting etc. a BMW might be the better choice. But nearly every single advantage of the M cars is related to daily driving. More space, more comfort etc.

Drivingwise apart from better characteristics for drifting (weight distribution and traction) the similar modern Porsches are better in every aspect I'd claim.

Have a lot of fun, no matter what you choose
RIP
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #5
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

I daily drive my 911, did the same with my Cayman, very good DD as long as you don't need real rear seats. The adaptive sport seats are so comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

I would 100% go with 1M. Last M car to weigh under 3300lbs. I would take the M2 out of your list especially when you have a 1M and M4 as an option
      07-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
voodoojar
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

I'd buy a 4 wheel drive SUV and drive a 911 whenever I wanted to have fun. I mean seriously why bother with an M is you have a turbo S sitting at home. The only reason I sold my 997 turbo (which I regret everyday) is because my kid got too long for the back seat and I was sick of hearing all the complaining.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
I daily drive my 911, did the same with my Cayman, very good DD as long as you don't need real rear seats. The adaptive sport seats are so comfortable.
+1 on this

OP, is your 997 exhaust stock? Switch to a europipe and high flow cats and you will be good to go.

You should consider f80 btw.

I like my 996TT more than F80 but both would be a nice pair
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 11:49 PM   #9
jagged
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just a quick update, I have decided to discount the M2 as it's the most expensive among the 3 and only available new so I will take the biggest hit during resale which I'm hoping to minimize for weekend toys.

I'm starting to lean more towards the M4 as it has all the driver aids I want and I could get it less than the M2 since it already has some miles. My only criticism is size as it looks much bigger than the previous M3.

The 1M is still a wildcard as it will depend with the seller. But I have some mixed feelings because I already have a 997 which is from the same generation.

Unfortunately, daily driving either the Porsche or BMW is out of the question due to our poor infrastructure, low clearance cars may get damaged in steeper driveways.

Rip, about the new 991, surely its a much more modern car as I've tested a friend's. But I felt the improvement from my old 997.1 to 997.2 was more significant than 997.2 to 991 somehow. Maybe PDK was the reason. Plus I can't afford to pay the full price of the 991 yet as basically, 991 TTS here will cost more than my used 997.2 + M1 or M4 + a Japanese SUV combined.

Thanks again to all and looking forward to see more comments!

Last edited by jagged; 07-13-2017 at 07:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 01:42 AM   #10
jagged
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
+1 on this

OP, is your 997 exhaust stock? Switch to a europipe and high flow cats and you will be good to go.

You should consider f80 btw.

I like my 996TT more than F80 but both would be a nice pair
Yes all stock. Ive never modded any of my old cars cuz i noticed that it doeesnt add any value come resale time. Plus its an expensive n relatively old car n i domt want to mess with it too much (got it less than a yr ago n it was a 2011).

But thanks for the recommendation! 👍
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 02:35 AM   #11
quattr0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i DD, 991.2 weekend toy!

I would go w 1M. Still the only car that has real steering and great engine!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 04:17 AM   #12
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattr0 View Post
I would go w 1M. Still the only car that has real steering and great engine!
Seems like a gooks choice for us here in the US, but it's an entirely different world where the OP Lives. His choice would have to be more pragmatic than visceral.

M2 more expensive than an M4 is ridiculous.

1M will lose its value and require a lot of maintenance soon. It's also the closest in size to his current P car.
      07-13-2017, 05:56 AM   #13
jagged
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Seems like a gooks choice for us here in the US, but it's an entirely different world where the OP Lives. His choice would have to be more pragmatic than visceral.

M2 more expensive than an M4 is ridiculous.

1M will lose its value and require a lot of maintenance soon. It's also the closest in size to his current P car.
Unfortunately yes, it is a big commitment to be a serious car enthusiast in some parts of the world. Just to share, here are the prices for the 3...
slightly used 1M -> $85k
slightly used M4 m/t -> $110k
new full option M2 -> $120k
And for comparison...
new full option M3/M4 -> $170k
new 991.2 TTS -> $350k

Last edited by jagged; 07-14-2017 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagged View Post
Yes all stock. Ive never modded any of my old cars cuz i noticed that it doeesnt add any value come resale time. Plus its an expensive n relatively old car n i domt want to mess with it too much (got it less than a yr ago n it was a 2011).

But thanks for the recommendation! 👍
If its your toy anyway, just modify the 997. With a great exhaust, you'll love it.

I don't see honestly, why you need to bother with F8X that will be a toy, if you have a TTS already, unless you just like collecting.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #15
jagged
Enlisted Member
Rep

Finally brought home the M4 in manual recently and have been enjoying it so far. While the 997TTS is still much faster, the M4 is much more comfortable. But the clutch pedal seems too deep and not good for shorter people so I guess I'll need to get used to it.

After a few hundred miles, I can say that the M4 has a more different personality from Porsche and not inferior at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #16
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
the clutch pedal seems too deep and not good for shorter people so I guess I'll need to get used to it.
BMS clutch stop. Best $10 mod ever conceived for a car.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #17
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 SO M4 ZCP

Depends where do u lives! if u have congested city and mountain roads the M2 is great! for highway and high roads the M4 is better
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 05:13 AM   #18
jagged
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
BMS clutch stop. Best $10 mod ever conceived for a car.
Wow, let me try that product!

Is it this? http://www.burgertuning.com/clutch_stop_BMW.html
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 10:22 AM   #19
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Wow, let me try that product!

Is it this? http://www.burgertuning.com/clutch_stop_BMW.html
Yes
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 06:09 AM   #20
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Quote:
Finally brought home the M4 in manual recently and have been enjoying it so far. While the 997TTS is still much faster, the M4 is much more comfortable. But the clutch pedal seems too deep and not good for shorter people so I guess I'll need to get used to it.

After a few hundred miles, I can say that the M4 has a more different personality from Porsche and not inferior at all.
I don't get this at all . . . I find the 997s way more comfortable than my F80 and it is not even close. I don't really find my F80 that comfortable. Seat is hard, bench like and seating position kind of sucks, especially when getting used to driving real sports cars with high end seats.

One of my business partners and workout buddies (bigger guy that played college football 6 years ago) in my 997.2 a week or so ago and dude kept saying it was the most comfortable car and seat he has ever been in in his life. Dude mainly owns drives various Mercedes, but has some big arse red neck truck as well as he is from Kentucky.

Thinking you might not have a real German made Porsche with all of those knock offs and copies you guys make and have over there in Asia.
Appreciate 0