Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-14-2017, 07:01 AM   #1
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Cool Just updated to Nav Maps 2017.1 - Middle East

So I bought a 2017 BMW M4 F83 in September, it came preinstalled with ancient maps version 2016.1 when at the time I know that 2016.4 were out but AGMC didn't have it yet.

Anyway, one of the features of iDrive 5.0 / the 2017 models is that they are able to get OTA (over the air) updates up to 4 times per year and you would see a map update percentage bar in the nav screen. I never ever saw that like people in the US on other forums have been reporting.

Fast forward to today, I called AGMC and told them I need the map update, they said that I have to go to the dealership first, pay 1000 dhs (500 dhs for the map and 500 dhs for the labor), then they would order the map update from Germany and call me when it arrives to update.

I thought that was absurd as I shouldn't be charged to pay for map updates on a brand new car, at least give me the 2017 first update for free as per my car's year model!

The people at the call center are very misinformed on how all this works.

I then went myself to the dealership on Sheikh Zayed Road and spoke with a senior technician, he told me that OTA updates weren't happening for me because this was a major bump from 2016 to 2017 and not a small incremental update. He also told me that my car comes with free map updates until 2019 so I don't need to pay. He downloaded the latest maps onto his USB Flash Drive and then updated my maps within 5 minutes and now I have that latest 2017.1 update. The maps have more detail, better graphics of buildings, metro stations, etc.

I hope I start getting OTA updates now that I have the 2017.1 map installed

According to the technician, my car has the latest map software called EVO which should receive OTA updates

Just wanted to share my experience in case you were wondering about this and to save you the hassle and the misinformation, DO NOT CALL the call center, just go to AGMC directly. The free map updates is only applicable to 2017+ models as per the technician, previous model years still have to pay for the updates.

Also, iDrive 5.0 is now available at AGMC if you have a pre 2017 model and want to upgrade from iDrive 4.0 to iDrive 5.0
Appreciate 1
messiry122.00
      02-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
Don Molina
not that guy
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 + S2000

I'm in Switzerland and I need to do the updates via USB. No OTA for some reason.
      02-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #3
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Molina View Post
I'm in Switzerland and I need to do the updates via USB. No OTA for some reason.
yeah that's how they did it for me.

The technician copied the files on to his USB Flash Drive, then simply plugged the USB under the armrest and the update prompt showed up.

He told me, that even if I copied those files on another USB and gave it to someone, it wouldn't work as it has some codes for my vehicle

On older models before like the E9x, one had to enter a code provided by BMW to start the update, but now the downloadable updates which they have come from BMW Germany as per the vehicle's VIN so no code entry is necessary since the new BMWs have NBT-evo

Last edited by Super Spartan; 02-14-2017 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 06:04 PM   #4
faiz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP SO/Amaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
So I bought a 2017 BMW M4 F83 in September, it came preinstalled with ancient maps version 2016.1 when at the time I know that 2016.4 were out but AGMC didn't have it yet.

Anyway, one of the features of iDrive 5.0 / the 2017 models is that they are able to get OTA (over the air) updates up to 4 times per year and you would see a map update percentage bar in the nav screen. I never ever saw that like people in the US on other forums have been reporting.

Fast forward to today, I called AGMC and told them I need the map update, they said that I have to go to the dealership first, pay 1000 dhs (500 dhs for the map and 500 dhs for the labor), then they would order the map update from Germany and call me when it arrives to update.

I thought that was absurd as I shouldn't be charged to pay for map updates on a brand new car, at least give me the 2017 first update for free as per my car's year model!

The people at the call center are very misinformed on how all this works.

I then went myself to the dealership on Sheikh Zayed Road and spoke with a senior technician, he told me that OTA updates weren't happening for me because this was a major bump from 2016 to 2017 and not a small incremental update. He also told me that my car comes with free map updates until 2019 so I don't need to pay. He downloaded the latest maps onto his USB Flash Drive and then updated my maps within 5 minutes and now I have that latest 2017.1 update. The maps have more detail, better graphics of buildings, metro stations, etc.

I hope I start getting OTA updates now that I have the 2017.1 map installed

According to the technician, my car has the latest map software called EVO which should receive OTA updates

Just wanted to share my experience in case you were wondering about this and to save you the hassle and the misinformation, DO NOT CALL the call center, just go to AGMC directly. The free map updates is only applicable to 2017+ models as per the technician, previous model years still have to pay for the updates.

Also, iDrive 5.0 is now available at AGMC if you have a pre 2017 model and want to upgrade from iDrive 4.0 to iDrive 5.0
So 2016s can be upgraded to id5? Did they confirm this a second time today? I know you mentioned that it was mentioned once with your wife's car. It will be truly awesome if it can be.

BTW, what is AGMC and can you please find out if the update is an official release or a regional hack that is offered. Some people in other threads are assuming that it a regional "unoffical" hack. Your help is appreciated!

Last edited by faiz; 02-14-2017 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz View Post
So 2016s can be upgraded to id5? Did they confirm this a second time today? I know you mentioned that it was mentioned once with your wife's car. It will be truly awesome if it can be.
Apparently, officially, no.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 07:01 AM   #6
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

BTW, what is AGMC and can you please find out if the update is an official release or a regional hack that is offered. Some people in other threads are assuming that it a regional "unoffical" hack. Your help is appreciated!
your memory serves you right. My wife's 2016 BMW 428i Convertible has ID4 and AGMC told her that she can have it upgraded to v5

AGMC is Arabian Gulf Mechanical Center, they are the BMW dealer in Dubai, United Arab Emirates so this is no hack, it's coming officially from the dealership.

My wife has an appointment to update her maps to 2017.1 as well on Sunday and iDrive 5, the update to ID5 is free but they will charge her for the map update since she has a 2016 model and not the 2017 like me which comes with free map updates for 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #7
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Apparently, officially, no.
Officially yes, I will let you know how it goes on Sunday once my wife taker her BMW 428i F33 to the dealership
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #8
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Officially yes, I will let you know how it goes on Sunday once my wife taker her BMW 428i F33 to the dealership
Apparently, the official word from BMW AG is no. What AGMC do in Dubai is different it seems - but I'll watch with interest. Outside Dubai, there's been no word nor hint of any official upgrade being available or possible - other sources have told me it's different hardware, so would require a head unit replacement.

Last edited by dinonz; 02-15-2017 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 09:28 AM   #9
faiz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. Do BMWs have Connnected Drive in Dubai?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 12:33 PM   #10
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Thank you. Do BMWs have Connnected Drive in Dubai?
There are 2 dealerships in the United Arab Emirates.

in Abu Dhabi (The capital), they have dealership called Abu Dhabi Motors, all the cars they import from Germany have no Connected Drive and no RTTL (Traffic Info), when I asked if that can be added, they said no as the cars come like that from the factory and it can't be added.

In Dubai and other cities, the dealership is AGMC, and all their cars have ConnectedDrive and RTTL

so whenever I see a used BMW for sale and the owner proudly saying bought from Abu Dhabi Motors with 6 years warranty (yes, Abu Dhabi Motors offers 1 year extra warranty vs the 5 years that AGMC offers), I steer away knowing that's a car thats missing a very important feature to me at least. Not a lot of people know this I found out accidentally when I called them inquiring about the BMW M4 then when they sent me the VIN number of the one they had for sale and I checked the features on some VIN Decoder site, I asked the sales rep where is the Connected Drive and RTTL? He said all our cars come like that from Germany and the management has no interest to order the cars with that feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #11
pnoyse84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Is anyone here from Dubai?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #12
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyse84 View Post
Is anyone here from Dubai?
not from Dubai,, but I live in Dubai since 27 years
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #13
faiz
Lieutenant
Rep

Will it be possible for you to ask them what exactly was done? Also, pics of Navi and Connected Drive would be awesome. Thanks!

Quote:
There are 2 dealerships in the United Arab Emirates.

in Abu Dhabi (The capital), they have dealership called Abu Dhabi Motors, all the cars they import from Germany have no Connected Drive and no RTTL (Traffic Info), when I asked if that can be added, they said no as the cars come like that from the factory and it can't be added.

In Dubai and other cities, the dealership is AGMC, and all their cars have ConnectedDrive and RTTL

so whenever I see a used BMW for sale and the owner proudly saying bought from Abu Dhabi Motors with 6 years warranty (yes, Abu Dhabi Motors offers 1 year extra warranty vs the 5 years that AGMC offers), I steer away knowing that's a car thats missing a very important feature to me at least. Not a lot of people know this I found out accidentally when I called them inquiring about the BMW M4 then when they sent me the VIN number of the one they had for sale and I checked the features on some VIN Decoder site, I asked the sales rep where is the Connected Drive and RTTL? He said all our cars come like that from Germany and the management has no interest to order the cars with that feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #14
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Will it be possible for you to ask them what exactly was done? Also, pics of Navi and Connected Drive would be awesome. Thanks!
the upgrade to iDrive 5.0 hasn't been done yet, they need to confirm to my wife on Sunday if it's a simple software update or a hardware upgrade is necessary.....

I'll keep y'all posted
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 04:54 AM   #15
hanafimahmoud
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Convertible

Quote:
Quote:
the upgrade to iDrive 5.0 hasn't been done yet, they need to confirm to my wife on Sunday if it's a simple software update or a hardware upgrade is necessary.....

I'll keep y'all posted
I have a Feb 2016 M4, would be interested in the iD5 upgrade if possible. Not quite sure why I would need to pay for updated maps. That sounds ridiculous and yet again another ripoff from AGMC.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2017, 07:03 AM   #16
F82_M4
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

A quick search and I found out that navigation maps can be updated by purchasing the latest maps through online vendors In addition to a FSC code for 40-50$ which is quite cheap in comparison to an arm and a leg from AGMC or ADM.

Waze does the job very well I would say.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:05 AM   #17
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanafimahmoud View Post
I have a Feb 2016 M4, would be interested in the iD5 upgrade if possible. Not quite sure why I would need to pay for updated maps. That sounds ridiculous and yet again another ripoff from AGMC.
indeed. at first when they were trying to charge me for the map update even for my 2017 model. I complained that I should be entitled to at least one free update to match my model year as when I bought this 2017 BMW M4, it had the 2016.1 update! not even 2017! Their reply over the phone was like, well sir, at the time when you bought the car that was the latest available map update which is not true, when I bought it which was in September 2016, the 2016.4 update was already out not 2016.1 like I had!

It's best to go there and speak to that senior technician in person. don't bother with the AGMC call center
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #18
faiz
Lieutenant
Rep

any update?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #19
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
any update?
My wife's BMW 428i Convertible 2016 is tomorrow afternoon. I will update you tomorrow as to how the update can be made if at all possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 12:27 PM   #20
faiz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My wife's BMW 428i Convertible 2016 is tomorrow afternoon. I will update you tomorrow as to how the update can be made if at all possible.
sweet. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 06:13 AM   #21
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Angry

Quote:
sweet. thanks.
man AGMC's service is atrocious!

We had the appointment booked for today since 1 week.....now my wife takes an excuse from work to go to AGMC and update her maps, then they tell her oh, wait, you have to pay a downpayment of AED 1100 DHS after you pay, we will order the maps/a code for your vehicle from BMW Germany, when the code arrives, we will call you to update the maps!

Why not tell me this from the beginning so we could pay in advance and not waste our time / commute from work!! Even Toyota offers better service than BMW Dubai!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #22
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep

Thumbs down

Quote:
any update?
Unfortunately, seems like the update from iDrive 4 to iDrive 5 isn't a simple software update. AGMC (The authorized BMW Dealer in Dubai) still don't know what needs to be changed as in the HDD or some other component but it's not a straight forward update so don't hold your horses
Appreciate 0