GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

11-22-2017, 06:09 AM   #1
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Question Backup/Surround View Cameras - Enable Backup Camera View when engaging reverse

MY2018 cars seem to default on showing 'Backup camera view' when engaging reverse, but the earlier models seem to show the last known view (aka it could be the top surround view or backup view).

(This applies only to cars that have the Surround View Camera option 5DL in addition to the backup camera 3AG).

I have a MY2017 and I am keen to set the camera view to always default to 'Backup or Reverse view' when engaging reverse gear. This is the default behaviour in F10 models.

Is there any coding parameter to ensure that the camera view always defaults to 'Backup Reverse View' when engaging reverse gear?

Ay help would be much appreciated? What CAFDs do I look in to search for this coding?
      11-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

It is a popular request, but I have never seen coding to change. Most of the time it varies by firmware. My F010 remembers, but F015 no longer does after update.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
It is a popular request, but I have never seen coding to change. Most of the time it varies by firmware. My F010 remembers, but F015 no longer does after update.
Hi Almaretto,

Same here, my F10 defaults to Backup, but the F82 does not.

Any idea as to which CAFD it might be under, or have you already exhausted the research? Knowing you, you probably have...
      11-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #4
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Hi Almaretto,

Same here, my F10 defaults to Backup, but the F82 does not.

Any idea as to which CAFD it might be under, or have you already exhausted the research? Knowing you, you probably have...
I have not exhausted search. It could be in any number of CAF's, but I would start in camera or head-unit ones.
Appreciate 1
gspannu199.50
      11-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I have not exhausted search. It could be in any number of CAF's, but I would start in camera or head-unit ones.
I'll have a look at KAFAS2 and HU_NBT/EVO and see if I can figure out anything...

Thanks for your inputs.
      11-22-2017, 05:53 PM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
I'll have a look at KAFAS2 and HU_NBT/EVO and see if I can figure out anything...

Thanks for your inputs.
I meant PMA/REM/PDC/TRSVC (ie cam in motion) ECU's, not DA+ camera.
Appreciate 1
gspannu199.50
      12-02-2017, 11:33 PM   #7
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

I've had a thorough look through HU_NBT2 for this and no luck as don't know enough about the systems. There is a section in there called "cameras" but nothing relating to backup cam behavior. I tried changing 4 parameters that sounded promising and they did not work. There is a big section of ICAM2 codes that might be related, but not sure what that is and didn't have too much time to tinker around. I do think the answer to this setting which defaults back to backup cam every time you engage reverse is in HU_NBT2 (possibly FEM_BODY) somewhere. Would appreciate any thought or pointers. Until then I'll keep searching. This must be an FDL thing.

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 12:06 AM   #8
jimmydick
Boner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 AW ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
I've had a thorough look through HU_NBT2 for this and no luck as don't know enough about the systems. There is a section in there called "cameras" but nothing relating to backup cam behavior. I tried changing 4 parameters that sounded promising and they did not work. There is a big section of ICAM2 codes that might be related, but not sure what that is and didn't have too much time to tinker around. I do think the answer to this setting which defaults back to backup cam every time you engage reverse is in HU_NBT2 (possibly FEM_BODY) somewhere. Would appreciate any thought or pointers. Until then I'll keep searching. This must be an FDL thing.
Thanks for the work. This would be great to figure out
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #9
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Went through HU_NBT2, FEM_BODY and TRSVC in depth this morning and no luck finding a simple "one liner" code for this.

My question is - where would the car store this setting? For example the brightness of the iDrive screen which is part of HU_NBT and set in HU_NBT isn't stored there because when you re-code HU_NBT it forgets your programmed button shortcuts but your old brightness setting is remembered. Since you changing this backup cam view in HU_NBT it's being stored somewhere else....any ideas?

TRSVC is chock full of calibration data just for PDC and cameras themselves but nothing for settings. Maybe REM?

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0