EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #177
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
Not true. The GTR and some Porsche's use the Bilstein system, but BMW uses systems from Sachs, Bilstein, and Tenneco on various models. Each of those suspension manufacturers also has multiple verisons of EDC that each have different capabilities.

You are correct that the tuning of the system is a HUGE part of it though.
I should have said M3 with EDC, I know mine is definitely Bilstein since I just swapped the springs last month and checked. Now that I think about it, I've only really checked 911s with PASM and know that's more or less the same Bilstein Damptronic as the GTR, I guess other Porsches could use other systems.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #178
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post
no, that is not correct

these aftermarket suspensions are not active at all. they are simply systems that may have two "modes" that can be controlled electronically, using the same controls as the OEM system. so basically, imagine a "normal" and "sport" mode.

the oem adaptive systems are active systems, which are constantly adapting to road conditions and making on the fly adjustments AND have multiple modes in which they do this. they are far more advanced than the OTS systems that claim to be "electronic".

and unfortunately not, substituting the springs only will make the system perform like garbage. it would probably be a good idea to read some articles on suspension setup and geometry.

the springs are bad for three reasons. one, the OEM setup calibrates the shock length and travel length to the spring height, allowing for a specific amount of suspension travel. two, the suspension geometry and alignment are specific to a certain ride height range. three, the shocks are calibrated for a specific spring rate, which will be different than the aftermarket springs.

adding aftermarket springs on OEM shocks, or any shocks that are not shortened and re-valved to account for the new spring heights and rates is an absolutely horrible idea and will perform much worse than stock
If this is true why would bmw make a spring only sleeve kit?
Appreciate 0