Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
phorbes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2CS

CATLESS DP - Monitors showing not ready - any tunes out there that will solve this?

I'm running JB4 and really don't want to have to remove my DP to pass state inspection if there's a solution out there with one of the flash tunes.

Anyone have any luck getting the monitors to show as ready while outfitted with DP?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
you will need O2 simulators to achieve "readiness" and to pass inspection. i don't know of any that exist on this platform as all other tunes/devices simply remove the CEL.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
phorbes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I really don't want to have to splice wires 😖

I was under the impression HEX tune stage 2 would have the monitors show as ready.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorbes View Post
I'm running JB4 and really don't want to have to remove my DP to pass state inspection if there's a solution out there with one of the flash tunes.

Anyone have any luck getting the monitors to show as ready while outfitted with DP?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

The answer is NO
There is no way to have catless down pipes with emission monitors showing a READY state

Wish there was but there is no way to do that.
You can try the "O2 bungs" people talk about but its a trial and error type of thing. No guarantee
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #5
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I was under the impression HEX tune stage 2 would have the monitors show as ready.
No that is not true. Stage 2 is for "Off road purpose vehicles" Or track vehicles in our case
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
applesauce683
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
The answer is NO
There is no way to have catless down pipes with emission monitors showing a READY state

You can try the "O2 bungs" people talk about but its a trial and error type of thing. No guarantee
I don't know the answer for this platform but on my 2011 Mustang with a catless exhaust, my tuner was able to show the monitors as ready and I did pass emissions with it. So I would think it might be possible on this platform. Obviously BMW tuning is a whole different ballgame compared to Ford.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Why do you have to get inspection on new car? I just got my car two weeks ago and inspection is good until like 2023, lol
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #8
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post
Why do you have to get inspection on new car? I just got my car two weeks ago and inspection is good until like 2023, lol
Depends on state. GA has 3 years off too but I think Cali needs it right away. Hell only 13 counties in GA even have emissions testing..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #9
applesauce683
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post
Most counties in Maryland it is every 2 years from purchase date. And now they have self-service kiosks, so there is no visual inspection.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #10
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Apply for an emissions waiver or reinstall the stock dps
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 02:44 PM   #11
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
you will need O2 simulators to achieve "readiness" and to pass inspection. i don't know of any that exist on this platform as all other tunes/devices simply remove the CEL.
+1

Most / all tunes just clear the code and prevent readiness. you would need standalone DP fix which I am not sure exists on this platform.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

you dont want to splice wires but would rather crack open your ecu ? lulz
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #13
phorbes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal f80 View Post
you dont want to splice wires but would rather crack open your ecu ? lulz
Several sources have confirmed that Stage 2 HEX tune will show monitors as ready without CEL even though legally it's for offroad use only. The tune was not intended for this purpose but it sounds like it will do the trick.

And I know that sounds funny but cracking open the ECU by an experienced shop vs. splicing wires myself makes me feel less worried.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 03:04 PM   #14
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Several sources have confirmed that Stage 2 HEX tune will show monitors as ready without CEL even though legally it's for offroad use only. The tune was not intended for this purpose but it sounds like it will do the trick.

And I know that sounds funny but cracking open the ECU by an experienced shop vs. splicing wires myself makes me feel less worried.
i thought your concern was about warranty or bmw seeing spliced wires . if warranty isn't a concern then hell yes ecu tune ! !! ! haahaaaa [ which i would think would get rid of cel also ]
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #15
phorbes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal f80 View Post
i thought your concern was about warranty or bmw seeing spliced wires . if warranty isn't a concern then hell yes ecu tune ! !! ! haahaaaa [ which i would think would get rid of cel also ]
my car had DP's outfitted as soon as I hit 1200 mile service. Once you have a car with DP's everything else feels dull. The sound, response and turbo whistle makes the car come alive.

I can easily remove the DP's, pass inspection and then install them again for the remaining of the year but it'll cost me $250 in labor for install and $250 for uninstall which is $500 yearly and I'd rather just sub out my JB4 for something that allows me to continue to play without the yearly visits to the shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #16
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:

You could use a positap to connect whatever. It's an inline splice using very small "needle" like things. People with the JB4 connect have to splice into the 5v wire in the JB4 harness to connect the kit. Totally reversible. I'm sure if you wrap it with some sort of heat shielding material it'll hold up enough to get you to the inspection station and back.

PSA for everyone:

The latest o2 spacer I found was from Fabspeed and it incorporated a mini cat. VERY high quality. Another forum member and myself gambled on them to see if they would fit our car.... and they DO NOT. I'm willing to bet they would technically work but given the location of the o2 bungs the guys at AutoCoture said they would bang up against each other and just too big to fit. I really thought these had the potential to be our solution but it unfortunately they are not.

If you think you can make them work you'll need a 90* and 45* spacer/mini cat.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #17
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982 View Post
The answer is NO

NOT TRUE!

a-r-e-a-7-4-{dot}-c-a (Bimmerpost auto deletes their website because of some vendor infraction. Take out the dashes and add the "dot")

They make electronic O2 simulators which keep catless DP's from triggering CEL codes. A by-product of this is the your car will go ODB2 "ready" as it thinks the cats are still in place (if this is important to you). These already work for cars with std O2 lambda sensors and they are just finishing up tweaking them to work with the new Titania style O2 lambda sensors found on some newer high end cars (like Audi and BMW). They should have the update for Titania sensors finished by April 1st. (I've been working with them on this...)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #18
phorbes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
NOT TRUE!

a-r-e-a-7-4-{dot}-c-a (Bimmerpost auto deletes their website because of some vendor infraction. Take out the dashes and add the "dot")

They make electronic O2 simulators which keep catless DP's from triggering CEL codes. A by-product of this is the your car will go ODB2 "ready" as it thinks the cats are still in place (if this is important to you). These already work for cars with std O2 lambda sensors and they are just finishing up tweaking them to work with the new Titania style O2 lambda sensors found on some newer high end cars (like Audi and BMW). They should have the update for Titania sensors finished by April 1st. (I've been working with them on this...)
So the currently offered O2 sim they sell doesn't work for our cars but they will have one in the coming weeks?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #19
cryptz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
You could use a positap to connect whatever. It's an inline splice using very small "needle" like things. People with the JB4 connect have to splice into the 5v wire in the JB4 harness to connect the kit. Totally reversible. I'm sure if you wrap it with some sort of heat shielding material it'll hold up enough to get you to the inspection station and back.

PSA for everyone:

The latest o2 spacer I found was from Fabspeed and it incorporated a mini cat. VERY high quality. Another forum member and myself gambled on them to see if they would fit our car.... and they DO NOT. I'm willing to bet they would technically work but given the location of the o2 bungs the guys at AutoCoture said they would bang up against each other and just too big to fit. I really thought these had the potential to be our solution but it unfortunately they are not.

If you think you can make them work you'll need a 90* and 45* spacer/mini cat.

Would it be possible to use some sort of SS braided line, or worse case a small diameter metal tube off of the DP to place these at another location? I would think your going to fail visual though unless they dont actually look..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #20
phorbes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptz View Post
Would it be possible to use some sort of SS braided line, or worse case a small diameter metal tube off of the DP to place these at another location? I would think your going to fail visual though unless they dont actually look..
they just plug in computer here in Texas, no visual inspection.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #21
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Someone should post up a screen shot of the monitors page on the diagnostic computer to show that it is in a "ready" state with VF Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #22
schnell1982
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
NOT TRUE!

Some more information backing this would be great. Like screen shots or someone that has the product and verified other then just typed out words that it actually works
Appreciate 0