Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-09-2017, 03:08 AM   #1
Lawton438
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Dash cams.

Just looking for abit of guidance from people who have got dash cams, what to go for?
Ease of install?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 03:44 AM   #2
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

I have a blackvue 2 channel hardwired.. Fitted it myself, very easy to do. Have a wifi hotspot with a pay as you go sim that keeps it connected to the cloud. Notification on your phone if there has been a bump and you have live view.

I have also just bought the celllink b battery so it's not running off the car battery.
      03-09-2017, 05:54 AM   #3
Johnraiders
Rep
Drives: M135i

Thinkware front and rear in my M135i with double Cell Link battery.

John
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 07:11 AM   #4
M4 GD
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

I've gone for the BMW advanced eye 2 way, it's being installed at dealership for when I pick up (hopefully tomorrow). Priced really well, although does lack the cloud feature like the black view. Has parking mode feature and everything else though, plus doesn't run of the battery.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 08:05 AM   #5
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 GD View Post
I've gone for the BMW advanced eye 2 way, it's being installed at dealership for when I pick up (hopefully tomorrow). Priced really well, although does lack the cloud feature like the black view. Has parking mode feature and everything else though, plus doesn't run of the battery.
I almost went for it as well but the 6hr parking mode put me off.

One thing I would say is that they do have an affect on DAB. I am in a weak signal area and the signal has dropped off since i put in the camera. Used all the cores suppressors etc but still plays up. (Not sure on the BMW one)

I like the idea of the second battery but I only do 40 mins each way so never charges
      03-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #6
Johnraiders
Rep
Drives: M135i

I do about an hour each way, batteries are always fully charged and I'm running from Aux in the boot. Hardwired to fuses charges about 30% quicker.

John
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #7
taitam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 X-Drive 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
I have a blackvue 2 channel hardwired.. Fitted it myself, very easy to do. Have a wifi hotspot with a pay as you go sim that keeps it connected to the cloud. Notification on your phone if there has been a bump and you have live view.

I have also just bought the celllink b battery so it's not running off the car battery.
Which model did you choose?

G 82 M4 X-Drive Aventurine Red III
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:39 AM   #8
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Quote:
I almost went for it as well but the 6hr parking mode put me off.

One thing I would say is that they do have an affect on DAB. I am in a weak signal area and the signal has dropped off since i put in the camera. Used all the cores suppressors etc but still plays up. (Not sure on the BMW one)

I like the idea of the second battery but I only do 40 mins each way so never charges
I'll 2nd this!

Was great whilst my car was in the dealership for 2 months as I configured their wifi in it before I dropped it off
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #9
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

I must admit, I'm thinking of fitting one of these after having some w**ker in a white Transit come storming up behind me in lane four on the A1 (M) Northbound just south of Peterborough. He must have been doing about 95mph before he slammed on the anchors and then sat inches from my rear bumper until I'd finished over taking the one car in lane three (nobody in lanes one and two). I pulled left and then looked across at him incredulously, which then prompted him to maintain the same speed as me and just sit to my right in lane two, blocking me deliberately. It wasn't so much as bad driving, but out and out goading. I eventually, slowed down to 60, pulled out into lane three, and overtook. He then accelerated and gave me the w**ker sign. I've no idea why he was doing this as he was the one who instigated all of this. I was just minding my own business.

What an absolute clown.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #10
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taitam View Post
Quote:

Which model did you choose?
I got the blackvue dr650gw-2ch

Happy to give provide photos of the install, really straight forward and I am crap at this stuff
JovanUK141.50
      03-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #11
taitam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 X-Drive 2021

Quote:

Happy to give provide photos of the install, really straight forward and I am crap at this stuff
Thanks, I would appreciate photos.

G 82 M4 X-Drive Aventurine Red III
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #12
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taitam View Post
Quote:

Thanks, I would appreciate photos.
I am installing the cell link battery at the weekend so will take loads of pics..

If you are close to Reading I can always show you/help fit it
      03-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #13
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

I also recommend the Blackvue dr650gw-2ch + the CellinkB.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #14
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
I must admit, I'm thinking of fitting one of these after having some w**ker in a white Transit come storming up behind me in lane four on the A1 (M) Northbound just south of Peterborough. He must have been doing about 95mph before he slammed on the anchors and then sat inches from my rear bumper until I'd finished over taking the one car in lane three (nobody in lanes one and two). I pulled left and then looked across at him incredulously, which then prompted him to maintain the same speed as me and just sit to my right in lane two, blocking me deliberately. It wasn't so much as bad driving, but out and out goading. I eventually, slowed down to 60, pulled out into lane three, and overtook. He then accelerated and gave me the w**ker sign. I've no idea why he was doing this as he was the one who instigated all of this. I was just minding my own business.

What an absolute clown.
I have to run the gauntlet of clowns on the A1 every Monday and Tuesday Mat, so many bellends on that road.

I find the ones that start to follow you after you've gone past the worst, they start to play some weird game of cat and mouse, you speed up they speed up, you slow down they pull in behind you, it's just bloody weird and worse than a tailgater as you can get rid of those.

Last edited by Wills2; 03-10-2017 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
mofomat791.50
      03-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #15
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
I must admit, I'm thinking of fitting one of these after having some w**ker in a white Transit come storming up behind me in lane four on the A1 (M) Northbound just south of Peterborough.
I have to run the gauntlet of clowns on the A1 every Monday and Tuesday Mat, so many bellends on that road.
I was on the A1 near Peterborough recently and was shocked with the level of driving. Eventually, I gave up and floored it undertaking lane hoggers only to be followed by a grey BMW which suddenly turned into a blue Christmas tree and pulled me over. But he empathised and let me off.

Now if I had a dashcam he could have asked to see how I was driving beforehand - one reason not to have one. It also annoys me how we are monitored everywhere we go, if not by the state then someone with a dashcam ready to post on YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #16
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDpetrol View Post
I was on the A1 near Peterborough recently and was shocked with the level of driving. Eventually, I gave up and floored it undertaking lane hoggers only to be followed by a grey BMW which suddenly turned into a blue Christmas tree and pulled me over. But he empathised and let me off.

Now if I had a dashcam he could have asked to see how I was driving beforehand - one reason not to have one. It also annoys me how we are monitored everywhere we go, if not by the state then someone with a dashcam ready to post on YouTube.
You've got to have your eyes peeled on that section! I've been warned near there before by plod to be fair I was doing 100mph so was grateful for the quick flash of the blues as he went past.

Agreed on the dash cam I wouldn't want to film myself cruising at 120mph for instance.
      03-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #17
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:

You've got to have your eyes peeled on that section! I've been warned near there before by plod to be fair I was doing 100mph so was grateful for the quick flash of the blues as he went past.

Agreed on the dash cam I wouldn't want to film myself cruising at 120mph for instance.
That's why you turn off the speed stamp and buy a camera with a one touch format button
      03-12-2017, 03:35 AM   #18
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

error
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #19
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I find the ones that start to follow you after you've gone past the worst, they start to play some weird game of cat and mouse, you speed up they speed up, you slow down they pull in behind you, it's just bloody weird and worse than a tailgater as you can get rid of those.
I suppose the only consolation is that this happens to everybody and not just me.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #20
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

I believe there are now permanent average speed cameras on the A1 near Stamford for quite a distance.

Oh, and I got my first points (and only second set ever) in 18 years a few weeks ago, but that was a mobile plod behind a bush in Hampshire.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 04:40 AM   #21
JonnyB82
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 (66) BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
does the dr650gw come with one touch format?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #22
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyB82 View Post
does the dr650gw come with one touch format?
There is a button on the side, you just hold it for 10 secs and it formats