ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #45
CHIA
Oh Hai.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Lexus RCF

Lexus RCF owner here. I've been a fan of M3's for a while and I can say they are definitely faster stock for stock. No comparison about it. The only way that the M4 might have lost would be traction issues.

I have a RCF with exhaust and I recently ran into a white M4 and was quite surprised by the outcome. First run was around 65 and I was ahead by half a car to a car length by the time we shut down. He was quite surprised as well and asked me "stock?". I told him I just had an exhaust system. In all honesty, we make pretty good gains from our exhaust system for an NA setup.

Second run - we honked off around 50... and his third gear was strong and he pulled a bit. However, surprisingly I pulled up top and when we shut down we were practically even. Gave him a thumbs up and we went our way.

If you're in here, good run! I'd be down to try against another stock M3/M4 again to see if the results varies at all. If anyone in the Houston area would like to meet up one of these days, hit me up!

I've seen some clean M3/M4s in Houston at the Cars and Coffee meet!
jmg18663.00
JTO245274.50
      06-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #46
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Lexus owners by and large aren't car people like we are, I am not surprised they don't know what whats up...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #47
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1nLMSFan View Post
WOW.... just came back from the ClubLexus forum... As a former ISF and RCF owner, I can say, yes, the M4 is a faster car. Even when I had mine, I would never debate that. I loved the Lexus lineup, and still do, but come on....

The reliability part is quite funny though. Through my research of the F80/82 platform, there did not seem to be many issues with reliability anywhere. It seems like they run with the early spun crank hub issues, and rumors of everyone's transmissions blowing up.

The RCF did have some issues with it, rear spoiler deployment, fuel pump issues etc, not that any of them were significant either.

I also love all of the logic of, "well if my car lost 400 lbs, I would clearly beat them", or "if I had x,y and z".... "try that race in the wet", what is the point?

For whatever reason, the CL board has a hard time admitting the M4 is a superior car when it comes to performance. Styling is subjective of course, I do like the look of the Lexus ISF/RCF models, the interior comfort I thought was better in the RCF, but the infotainment/nav system is a huge step behind the BMW setup. I do miss that wonderful V8 growl everyday though.

Anyway, if you want a good laugh, I suggest checking out that thread. I was tempted to try to set some people straight in there, but not sure it is worth the time/effort.

The dick measuring that happens in these VS threads in car forums is hilarious. I don't understand why people just can't enjoy their cars without assuming everything else sucks?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2017, 06:51 AM   #48
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Just wasted my time scanning that club lexus thread and I didnt see anything egregious in there at all

Virtually everyone admitted the M3/4 was faster and trumped up reliability/luxury of the lexus over the BMW rather than the performance. I will say however many people seem to have a misguided notion that BMW's are unreliable cars. In my past 8 years or so of BMW ownership that has not been the case at all.
Appreciate 3
F831355.50
ttruong92215.00
      06-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #49
Kerune
Registered
Rep
Drives: RC-F

I have read through the Lexus forum as well and what I did notice is that the Clublexus members in there aren't bashing the bimmerpost members.

Take the time to filter out the unrealistic posters but keep in mind they have to do the same for you when you talk smack. Lexus owners this and that, the RC-F members are well aware of what they bought, and the downfalls mainly get brought up when you compare it to an M car's performance. It's fair to let them weigh out why they should not be in an M4 the same way you didn't get an RC-F.

Many other times, they do the same as you, they discuss the value of the performance/luxury they have in their hands. I also don't believe a lot of you or them are playing what-ifs with their purchase because there's a long list of things to focus on enjoying while you own an M/F/AMG.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #50
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

We purchased an orange RCF when they first came because frankly I thought the look was a fresh, novel look and liked the V8 concept. I only like it orange though, except black with carbon fibre roof is okay.

I drove the wheels off of it, 34,000 miles in 21 months before I totaled it. It was a good car. The M3 is a better car and I would not go back to an RCF, although at one time I considered getting an LC F version if and when it comes out. Candidly, I am kind of over that look now and will stay with 911s for my 2 door daily driver options.

As to reliability, my RCF had more issues in the first 10,000 miles than my M3 which now has 10,500 miles. The RC F seats also have a couple of areas that show wear really bad. That GSF thing is butt fugly though . . .
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2017, 08:36 AM   #51
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
Lexus RCF owner here. I've been a fan of M3's for a while and I can say they are definitely faster stock for stock. No comparison about it. The only way that the M4 might have lost would be traction issues.

I have a RCF with exhaust and I recently ran into a white M4 and was quite surprised by the outcome. First run was around 65 and I was ahead by half a car to a car length by the time we shut down. He was quite surprised as well and asked me "stock?". I told him I just had an exhaust system. In all honesty, we make pretty good gains from our exhaust system for an NA setup.

Second run - we honked off around 50... and his third gear was strong and he pulled a bit. However, surprisingly I pulled up top and when we shut down we were practically even. Gave him a thumbs up and we went our way.

If you're in here, good run! I'd be down to try against another stock M3/M4 again to see if the results varies at all. If anyone in the Houston area would like to meet up one of these days, hit me up!

I've seen some clean M3/M4s in Houston at the Cars and Coffee meet!

Sounded like you had fun. Always cool when both sides acknowledge it was all for fun and no hard feelings lol. I must say though your few runs with that M4 sound like the M4 driver wasn't so sure you were racing at first or he did not know how to drive. From a roll, it shouldn't have even been a contest, let alone you being ahead as indicated by the previous video posted. An exhaust system would not make much of a difference. If he is indeed in here, I would love to hear his side.
Appreciate 1
Lexura314.50
      06-29-2017, 11:24 AM   #52
CHIA
Oh Hai.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
Sounded like you had fun. Always cool when both sides acknowledge it was all for fun and no hard feelings lol. I must say though your few runs with that M4 sound like the M4 driver wasn't so sure you were racing at first or he did not know how to drive. From a roll, it shouldn't have even been a contest, let alone you being ahead as indicated by the previous video posted. An exhaust system would not make much of a difference. If he is indeed in here, I would love to hear his side.
Definitely hope he's in here. Would love to chat to him a bit more. Like I said, been a big fan of M3/M4 and would love to get a few more runs in!

An exhaust system makes huge gains on the RCF. I've raced my best friend full bolt on ISF (I/H/E/Tune) when I was stock and he would walk me by 3 cars every time. After I got my exhaust, we are nearly even (he get's me by half a car). I've raced Mustang GT S550 (Intake/Exhaust/Tune/full E85) and beat it from a roll.

The RCF is no slouch if they know their range. 30 and 50 rolls are best for us.
      06-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #53
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
I had an ISF for several years. Only exhaust and drop in for sound. Pretty well understood that full bolt on with that motor does almost nothing. A lot of dyno work showed the various intakes actually dropped power a bit. Until very recently no one had cracked the ECU. Even with all the bolt on stuff, from what I've seen, not a lot of gains. Only real gains I saw were with guys running nitrous.
      06-29-2017, 04:19 PM   #54
CHIA
Oh Hai.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoob View Post
I had an ISF for several years. Only exhaust and drop in for sound. Pretty well understood that full bolt on with that motor does almost nothing. A lot of dyno work showed the various intakes actually dropped power a bit. Until very recently no one had cracked the ECU. Even with all the bolt on stuff, from what I've seen, not a lot of gains. Only real gains I saw were with guys running nitrous.
Exhaust and headers net big gain on ISF. My friends FBO ISF (prior to tune) dyno 405whp. That's great gains for Intake/Header/Exhaust when stock they put down around 340-350whp +/- some whp.

Agreed with intake though which is why I'm still on stock airbox. Haha.
      06-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #55
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
Exhaust and headers net big gain on ISF. My friends FBO ISF (prior to tune) dyno 405whp. That's great gains for Intake/Header/Exhaust when stock they put down around 340-350whp +/- some whp.

Agreed with intake though which is why I'm still on stock airbox. Haha.
      06-29-2017, 06:46 PM   #56
shyu0622
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Back when I had my ISF, I got the RR Racing tune, and it felt like it made the car faster. I never got it dyno'd so there's no actual proof of that. Aside from the tune, the car was stock.

If the numbers hadn't have worked out so well with the M3, and a bit better with the RCF, I probably would be driving an RCF now because I've had a BMW fall apart on me once already.

That said, I'm super glad to be back, and this time in an M3. I had no delusions that the RCF would be faster than the M3. I know magazine racing is to be taken with a grain of salt, but across the board, the M3/M4 posts 0-60 in the low 4s and in some magazines, as low as 3.9s. I don't think the RCF is capable of sub-4 in any condition.

The RCF has a couple things going for it: the rareness factor, proven reliability, and that 2UR-GSE V8 motor that sounds amazing!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #57
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

WoW the RCF has grown on me but they have lost value even worse than the M4. You can still get brand new 16s for 53k....
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #58
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

That's a good thing then.

For the driving I appear to be doing as of late an RCF would be fine, except maybe the crappy fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #59
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyu0622 View Post
The RCF has a couple things going for it: the rareness factor, proven reliability, and that 2UR-GSE V8 motor that sounds amazing!
It's rare because not many people really want a performance car that heavy. It does sound really nice though.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #60
Madvillain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: lada

have a friend with rocket bunny rcf and the dude admits he shouldve bought m4. its just better and faster in every single way. the guy claiming he beat an m4 is cute only would happen if m4 was strugglingfor traction. ive heard multiple rcf owners say they had problems with the car. so much for that whole lexus is reliable people seem to forget its a sports car they abuse on a daily basis its not a camry that lives its entire life under 3k rpm. rcf is a cool car and in 20 ywars will probably be very desirable but for now its worse thant he comp in every way but sound.
Appreciate 0