Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-12-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
MonacoMurphy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Who Buy's Used Suspension?

After my first tack day I want two things to change- brake pads and less body roll/lower ride height.

I like the stock shocks and am considering Dinan spring kit but there are KW V3's used for the same price.

I do like the ability to use Dinan with EDC though.

Would you guys buy used coilovers for track/street use?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Sure, why not? Just be aware of the mileage since aftermarket dampers do need rebuilt from time to time (manufacturer normally specifies interval).

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
Sure, why not? Just be aware of the mileage since aftermarket dampers do need rebuilt from time to time (manufacturer normally specifies interval).
Agreed, just need to be a scrupulous buyer.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I would/have. As others have already stated - be an informed buyer and ask for detailed pics of the dampers.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #5
F82K2S0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: IOMG G82/MG F82/AW E92

Skip the dinan and v3's and get some CS. When adjusted they work perfect on the street and then adjusted on track days easily for great track setup. win/win no compromise.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
MonacoMurphy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82K2S0 View Post
Skip the dinan and v3's and get some CS. When adjusted they work perfect on the street and then adjusted on track days easily for great track setup. win/win no compromise.
What's CS?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 11:03 PM   #7
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMurphy View Post
What's CS?
KW Clubsports, although I'd also recommend looking into JRZ RS2 Sport and MCS 2WNR.
Appreciate 1
mcvaughan704.00
      05-13-2017, 06:33 AM   #8
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

I 2nd the MCS 2WNR suspension! I have these installed on my M4 with F/R 500/800 (lbf/in) spring rates. Their performance (damping range, adjustable "can" pressure) is close to the performance of a remote damper setup but without the hassle of routing the remote cans.

The street ride with 500/800 spring rates is awesome - far better than stock. I'm about to switch to 600/950 spring rates and expect little change in street ride.

One nice option is you can upgrade your MCS 2WNR dampers to 2WR/3WR (remote canisters) if you think you've "out grown" the performance of the 2WNR.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #9
MonacoMurphy
Lieutenant
Rep

Have you guys heard anything good about the Ohlins R&T setup? Seem to be around the same price as used CS's. The shocks new are just too pricey for me. I would like to go JRZ though but curious about the Ohlins.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #10
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMurphy View Post
Have you guys heard anything good about the Ohlins R&T setup? Seem to be around the same price as used CS's. The shocks new are just too pricey for me. I would like to go JRZ though but curious about the Ohlins.
What are looking for - a street-biased or track-biased setup? The Ohlins R&T is a street-biased setup and is only single (rebound) adjustable. I have them installed on my Mini CooperS and it has a great ride; however, I'd run a different damper if I used this car on the track. Also, the Ohlins R&Ts need to be rebuilt fairly frequently (~25k miles) for a street setup.

I'd go with the JRZ RS2 over KW CS or Ohlins R&T.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 12:09 AM   #11
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
What are looking for - a street-biased or track-biased setup? The Ohlins R&T is a street-biased setup and is only single (rebound) adjustable. I have them installed on my Mini CooperS and it has a great ride; however, I'd run a different damper if I used this car on the track. Also, the Ohlins R&Ts need to be rebuilt fairly frequently (~25k miles) for a street setup.

I'd go with the JRZ RS2 over KW CS or Ohlins R&T.
The Ohlins R&T aka DFV is a 1-way (Comp+Rebound together) bleed adjustment in the shaft.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #12
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

I got my JRZ RS Pros used from kitesurfer.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #13
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
I hope they are working well for you and still going strong , curious what did you wind up running for spring rates?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #14
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

I bought my Tckline DA used and dont regret it.

Skip dinan and get real coilovers. They ride better than stock and perform much much better
      05-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #15
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
I hope they are working well for you and still going strong , curious what did you wind up running for spring rates?
750/900. added dry break quick connects to the rear and had the hoses shortened slightly.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 06:08 PM   #16
Caliboy951
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
I bought my Tckline DA used and dont regret it.

Skip dinan and get real coilovers. They ride better than stock and perform much much better
I'm going to get my suspension next month and I spoke with TcKline and I'm on the fence with JRZ, do you track a lot and if so what's your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 06:26 PM   #17
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliboy951 View Post
I'm going to get my suspension next month and I spoke with TcKline and I'm on the fence with JRZ, do you track a lot and if so what's your thoughts?
I track a ton. I personally run the TcKline Double Adjustable and they are amazing. The car feels amazing on the track with them. The only issue is the front coils are loud on the double adjustable.

If you daily your car I would highly recommend Tc Kline Singles in the front and double adjustable in the rear.

I was on the fence about the JRZ as well and was going to buy them but I got my Tc Klines used for an unbelievable deal and I love them. I run mine in TCs recommended "track settings" and they are very comfortable and are amazing on the track. I daily drive my car too. Definitely better than KW clubsport.

If you dont mind spending the extra money on the JRZ and having to rebuild them eventually I would 100% go with them as they are the more superior coilover. But from a value perspective it does not get better than the TCs. Extra benefit is they are semi local to you and are a phone call away and will answer any questions. Also any suspension shop can rebuild the Koni shocks if you need a rebuild (which you wont)

Hit me up if you are ever in Calabasas or Beverly Hills area and you can come for a ride along. I will also be tracking at BimmerFest if you will be around
      05-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #18
Caliboy951
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I track a ton. I personally run the TcKline Double Adjustable and they are amazing. The car feels amazing on the track with them. The only issue is the front coils are loud on the double adjustable.

If you daily your car I would highly recommend Tc Kline Singles in the front and double adjustable in the rear.

I was on the fence about the JRZ as well and was going to buy them but I got my Tc Klines used for an unbelievable deal and I love them. I run mine in TCs recommended "track settings" and they are very comfortable and are amazing on the track. I daily drive my car too. Definitely better than KW clubsport.

If you dont mind spending the extra money on the JRZ and having to rebuild them eventually I would 100% go with them as they are the more superior coilover. But from a value perspective it does not get better than the TCs. Extra benefit is they are semi local to you and are a phone call away and will answer any questions. Also any suspension shop can rebuild the Koni shocks if you need a rebuild (which you wont)

Hit me up if you are ever in Calabasas or Beverly Hills area and you can come for a ride along. I will also be tracking at BimmerFest if you will be around
Thanks for the info and I'll be tracking at Bimmerfest as well on Sat the third.
I'm looking for a good set up for Autoclub and a few other high speed tracks. I'm using a full APR aero package, Stoptech BBK, Apex EC-7 and NItto tires and some Dinan suspension stuff.

Any suggestions or feedback will be greatly appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 07:05 PM   #19
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info and I'll be tracking at Bimmerfest as well on Sat the third.
I'm looking for a good set up for Autoclub and a few other high speed tracks. I'm using a full APR aero package, Stoptech BBK, Apex EC-7 and NItto tires and some Dinan suspension stuff.

Any suggestions or feedback will be greatly appreciated!!
Damn I am going on the 4th

For TCs are great coilovers but if you have the money and want to ball out, the JRZ are def superior.

Your set up sounds good as is. I would recommend gutting the rear and adding a Studio RSR cage. If you are interested in one let me know and Ill get you in contact with the guys over there.

My current set up: TC Kline DA, Ground Control Camber Plates, Gutted Trunk and Removed back seats, Sparco Ergo II, and I have a studio RSR cage coming next week. Corner balance and 3.5 degree camber upfront and OE Spec rear alignment. The car feels amazing. I only took it to Willow Springs once so far after not tracking for 6+ months and I ran a 1:37 on stock Pilot Sports and i can def take at least 5 seconds off that time with driver mod
      05-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #20
Caliboy951
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Damn I am going on the 4th

For TCs are great coilovers but if you have the money and want to ball out, the JRZ are def superior.

Your set up sounds good as is. I would recommend gutting the rear and adding a Studio RSR cage. If you are interested in one let me know and Ill get you in contact with the guys over there.

My current set up: TC Kline DA, Ground Control Camber Plates, Gutted Trunk and Removed back seats, Sparco Ergo II, and I have a studio RSR cage coming next week. Corner balance and 3.5 degree camber upfront and OE Spec rear alignment. The car feels amazing. I only took it to Willow Springs once so far after not tracking for 6+ months and I ran a 1:37 on stock Pilot Sports and i can def take at least 5 seconds off that time with driver mod
It sounds like you have your car set up well. I'm fortunate to know Boris Said and I'm using his suggestions/contacts to get the M4 dialed in.
I'm very interested in the cage (and seats) and that's on my list of "to do's". Any other suggestions will be well received. My buddy has the Z28 ( http://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/camaro-z-28 ) and we have a bet later on this year at Autoclub. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #21
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It sounds like you have your car set up well. I'm fortunate to know Boris Said and I'm using his suggestions/contacts to get the M4 dialed in.
I'm very interested in the cage (and seats) and that's on my list of "to do's". Any other suggestions will be well received. My buddy has the Z28 ( http://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/camaro-z-28 ) and we have a bet later on this year at Autoclub. lol
Thats cool. Follow me on instagram and ill follow up back and give you some more info and get you connected with Studio RSR. My handle is @carmodification

Honestly, doing more mods will not help you be faster its all about the driver. I have a 991 GT3 and I put down the exact same lap times in that than I do my M4 and it should be wayyyyy faster. If you want to beat your friend I would recommend seat time and driving instruction. Hit me up on instagram and Ill help give some more advice.

OP, Sorry for thread jack
      05-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #22
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Quote:

Is the noise due to their camber plate design? Would I be able to use another companies camber plate with the dual adjustable front? I'm not sure I would release a product that makes noise.

btw added you on instagram: Mr.speederz
Appreciate 0