Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-30-2017, 08:25 AM   #23
sky03
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post
I cannot say in any car BmW makes there is more "control". Porsche is any kind from the boxster and cayman to the 911 and SUVs feel organic and have way more feel, precision and control.

OP - buy a 911, it's the car that will make you wonder why anyone else even makes other cars.

I meant that actually it is more hard to control the M cars and personally it gives "I am driving the car" feel. I hope I can tell what I mean.

otherwise I also think that porsche is really good in track handling ext.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 10:35 AM   #24
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep
Drives: Turbo/NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLOimJ View Post
I was wondering when this dude was gonna come in here and go full fanboy.

1. No way an m4 is less comfortable than a 911
2. Zero absolutely zero way the porsche SUVs come even close to an m4. And I own the most nimble on.. the macan gts.
Nothing fanboy about that.

It's not far off, but the Macan certainly feels a lot better than an x4 or x3 which is a competitive territory...that's what I meant.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #25
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

Quote:
Nothing fanboy about that.

It's not far off, but the Macan certainly feels a lot better than an x4 or x3 which is a competitive territory...that's what I meant.

its very far off from an m4, like different planet different.

I don't feel much of a difference btwn equally priced x4s/macans... for a macan to feel sporty u need air ride and some other niceties.. making it an 80k car. Don't get me wrong, love my macan, but lets be realistic here.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #26
quattr0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i DD, 991.2 weekend toy!

Op, if i have to do it again, i would get a minimal options C4S. I dont care much abt 0--60 but certainly dont mind w a tune, exhaust and it could become 10 sec 911. Thats 911.1 TT time!

I do enjoy my C2 w manual still! Exhaust on its way and plan to put it through diet plan (lighter battery, wheels, etc).

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #27
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

911 all the way. I just wouldn't buy the Cab since the Targa is the same price and looks dramatically better.

I'd do a 7MT Targa 4.

PDK is great, but so good it's a bit sterile and boring after time. And the neturbo cars are just so fast the S isn't necessary. Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 11:29 AM   #28
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Quote:
its very far off from an m4, like different planet different.

I don't feel much of a difference btwn equally priced x4s/macans... for a macan to feel sporty u need air ride and some other niceties.. making it an 80k car. Don't get me wrong, love my macan, but lets be realistic here.
I didn't like driving the x3/x4 but found the Macan S to be great. Good steering, engine and exhaust note are great, and the quality is superb and more so when you consider price. I'm looking to replace my M4 with a Macan GTS as I really liked how much nice the inside was (my m4 rattles and creaks to no end) and really found it to be a riot to drive. Plus it's such a great looking car.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #29
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn't like driving the x3/x4 but found the Macan S to be great. Good steering, engine and exhaust note are great, and the quality is superb and more so when you consider price. I'm looking to replace my M4 with a Macan GTS as I really liked how much nice the inside was (my m4 rattles and creaks to no end) and really found it to be a riot to drive. Plus it's such a great looking car.
macan steering is ok for porsche, lacks on center feel. DCT programming is terrible, and the interruption in power btwn shifts is annoying. The car feels planted BUT also feels heavy. Inside is nice but tight, build quality is great, especially with the leather dash. Given the price point, you get what you pay for. My macan came in at slightly under 80k, rivals are nearly 20k less. That's alot of coin. Funny thing is my m4 gave me zero issues. My macan has an odd fishing line type noise at low speeds in the steering that is actually quite common.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #30
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Quote:
macan steering is ok for porsche, lacks on center feel. DCT programming is terrible, and the interruption in power btwn shifts is annoying. The car feels planted BUT also feels heavy. Inside is nice but tight, build quality is great, especially with the leather dash. Given the price point, you get what you pay for. My macan came in at slightly under 80k, rivals are nearly 20k less. That's alot of coin. Funny thing is my m4 gave me zero issues. My macan has an odd fishing line type noise at low speeds in the steering that is actually quite common.
The M3/4 steering is not very good...let's be honest there.

I really liked the PDK. I still don't think there is a match to PDK out there( especially in the 911s) and when in Sport+ I only noticed rapid shifts that were executed perfectly. My m4 is 6mt but DCT I think is quite a ways off from the best dual clutches.

My 991S is also a manual so I'll still shift in my own while it's still available but PDK really is quite something and have no problems with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #31
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The M3/4 steering is not very good...let's be honest there.

I really liked the PDK. I still don't think there is a match to PDK out there( especially in the 911s) and when in Sport+ I only noticed rapid shifts that were executed perfectly. My m4 is 6mt but DCT I think is quite a ways off from the best dual clutches.

My 991S is also a manual so I'll still shift in my own while it's still available but PDK really is quite something and have no problems with it.
f80 steering, especially the comp is much better than the macan. Also, yah Sport+ pdk programming is good, but i hardly ever drive in sport plus. The programming in regular and sport isnt very good at all. My m4 with GTS flash felt very much like my good buddy's pdk 991s.

good read

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/jagua...ts-comparison/
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #32
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep

Quote:
f80 steering, especially the comp is much better than the macan. Also, yah Sport+ pdk programming is good, but i hardly ever drive in sport plus. The programming in regular and sport isnt very good at all. My m4 with GTS flash felt very much like my good buddy's pdk 991s.

good read

I'll check it out. I like the Jag styling a lot but find some angles to be odd looking. The GLC63 I think will be a good car but don't like the Merc transmissions.

That's interesting as I have not driven a GTS tuned DCT in an M3/4 but I've driven an M4 GTS and it was simply not as good as PDK-S in the GT3. There seems to be an optimization in PDK that no other dual clutch has. I think that is largely in part to Porsche standards and the fact that they tune the programming in house. Either way, I'm a fan that can get on board given they seem to be pushing it forward as opposed to BMW which looks to be moving ahead with automatics unfortunately.

How long have you had the GTS?

Last edited by Motorsportenterprise; 05-30-2017 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 11:43 PM   #33
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishskis View Post
I have a 2015 M4 Convertible. I love it. I have had multiple Ms and 6-series' over the past several years; but now I am seriously considering getting a 2018 911 Carrera (991.2) cabriolet. Probably looking at the Base model, but considering an "S" as well. With the new turbo engine, I feel like the Base model is as quick (or even a little quicker) than the old "S".

While I strongly believe the M3 is a better value, and a much more practical car, I have no kids, no wife, and while I am not completely price insensitive, I can afford the incremental difference in price. Fortunately, I am getting a good deal (9% off msrp), and the dealer is going to let me take home a demo for a few days next week (dealer is a friend of a close friend).

I drove both a Base and an "S" on short test drives, and I thought both were beautiful. I slightly preferred the "S", but with the new engines, the difference is minimal compared to the previous non-turbo engines. The PDK transmission, in particular, blew me away. I was also surprised at how nice the interior is, as well as the new electronics/nav etc.

I'm curious what you guys think about the two cars compared to each other. If anyone has experience with both, I'd love to hear your thoughts. This will be my daily driver.

Thank you.
After 15 years of M cars I moved to a 991.1S. If you want a drivers car the 991 will beat the M in all areas. If the latest I drive is your priority then stick with the Bmw as it's probably the car for you.

Everybody should have the experience of owning a 911 once in their life. You won't regret it. But it wil not sink in on the test drive, you will appreciate the 911 more and more over time.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 11:47 PM   #34
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
I recently had the opportunity of buying a Porsche Macan S for the family. The dealership is among my family and so it was easy process for my family. They also joked (the Porsche dealership that is) that they are actively trying to convert me to Porsche as they know I like/prefer BMWs. My cousin's family are all Porsche cars, Macan GTS, Cayanne Turbo and an unicorn 911 GT3 RS (6sp manual).

That being said, the more daily oriented cars from Porsche, Macan and Cayanne isn't for everyone. Actually a friend of mine just bought a X4 M40i and it's very comparable to a Macan S, close to a Macan GTS too.

911 and 911 S isn't a bad daily and you said it yourself, your single and don't have real obligations for a family etc. However that being said though I'm unsure if you will be able to continue to live with a 911. If you plan on keeping the car, it will cost you a lot to maintain. Way more than a BMW. The F80s have been proven to be able to do everything very well, if not exceptionally well for the class it is in. Despite all the healthy competition going on, I still would put the M on top (not gonna bash the Alfa).

M3 isn't just a very capable DD but it is also a trackable car. More than enough people have demonstrated this. Actually I find it funny half goes with the M3 for track the other the M4, when BMW keeps pushing M4 things (GTS and CS? o.O) I would always prefer the BMW, not because I dislike Porsche I just find simpler things to be better. In which case BMW has that mostly in spades. BMW iDrive pretty much beats everything infotainment wise.

Mind you I still dislike the Porsche PCM. I hate having to jump through hoops to do simple things like changing a playlist and removing a phone from the BlueTooth list. Not having a volume slider to tell you how loud your music is, is also very... VERY annoying.
If the infotainment interface and volume sliders is that big of a priority then the Bmw is probably the right car for you. If driving performance is the priority then it's the 911 all day.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 04:02 AM   #35
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
I traded a '12 Cayman S for a '13 Carrera S last fall. Prior to that we had a 335 and an M3. No comparison, it you don't need the rear seats and don't care about the extra money, the Porsche is a way better car. i daily drive mine. If I was buying new, I'd get a base model, they are plenty fast. I prefer a NA engine, that's one reason why I went with a CPO 991.1. Mine was loaded with almost $40k in options, a great mix of comfort (full leather, adaptive sport seats) and performance (SPASM, sport exhaust, PDCC).
I kind of disagree that the base model before the 991.2 is "plenty fast". in my opinion, a "sports car" better be blowing the doors of wagons and sedans in all situations. With F80 trapping ~119mph and super wagons like E63S even faster in a straight line, a base model does not cut it

At least an S with PDK will be able to hang in a straight line

When I was shopping in Dec '14 I didn't even consider 981.1 S because it was too slow in a straight line. Now with the 981.2 S having the turbo motor, I might have just skipped the M3
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 05:00 AM   #36
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

good read

I'll check it out. I like the Jag styling a lot but find some angles to be odd looking. The GLC63 I think will be a good car but don't like the Merc transmissions.

That's interesting as I have not driven a GTS tuned DCT in an M3/4 but I've driven an M4 GTS and it was simply not as good as PDK-S in the GT3. There seems to be an optimization in PDK that no other dual clutch has. I think that is largely in part to Porsche standards and the fact that they tune the programming in house. Either way, I'm a fan that can get on board given they seem to be pushing it forward as opposed to BMW which looks to be moving ahead with automatics unfortunately.

How long have you had the GTS?
18 months

It's a nice car, love the look and sound
Appreciate 1
bmw-nj99.00
      05-31-2017, 05:36 AM   #37
strettyend
Private
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 / F90 M5

Single with no kids? Definitely try a 911. I had a 991.1 Carrera S (coming from a C63 and my best friend has an F80 M3) and it's definitely useable as a daily. Sure it has less room but it's plenty comfortable and the driving experience is incomparable. I did end up trading it for a GT3 which imo you need a daily to complement.

My Carrera S

GT3
Attached Images

PoorLurker1136.50