EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
F8X to remain M3

So I was at the Welt earlier today on my trip in Munich and I was talking with some sort of SA (not exactly sure what his job description was). Anyways we began talking about the future of BMW and the future 4 series coupe and convertible. He said it has been finalized and confirmed that it was in fact going to be called the 4 series. So i said, will the coupe and covertible be M4 then? He said "Nope. The M3 name is a symbol and they aren't going to get rid of it." Furthermore i said, "well how can they have the base model as the 4 series and the M series still be an M3?" His reply was that they're different cars, even with different chasis numbers and only share the body shell basically. I'm not sure what to make of it because he was an SA, but on the other hand i feel that at the Welt they have access to more up to date information.

Other than that I have to admit i was expecting more out of the Welt. It was in the middle of some renovations for the new Rolls-Royce area and the new Mini area. They had a Ghost on display but it was roped off. The museum on the other hand i was blown away by. As we were leaving though i did see a frozen black M5 and that thing was soooo sexy! I wish i couldve gotten a pic but my camera had died just before the last exhibit of the museum (very upset). Pictures of the frozen colours really don't do them justice, they look really good in person.

Anyways, just wanted to share the info I'd discovered this morning.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Oh thank goodness, now I don't need to throw away all my t-shirts, wallets, key-chains, floor mats, boxers, socks, sunglasses, watches, rings, belts, pants, helmets, rings, shoes and everything M3 that I have.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
Oh thank goodness, now I don't need to throw away all my t-shirts, wallets, key-chains, floor mats, boxers, socks, sunglasses, watches, rings, belts, pants, helmets, rings, shoes and everything M3 that I have.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Amen. I've got a gold velvet track suit with M3 on the back that would look out of place in a M4.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thanks for the info but I doubt anyone actually in the know would just tell this info to random strangers visiting the Welt, especially about something the BMW Board decides on.

I'll take what Bimmerpost reports over an unnamed/untitled source standing in the Welt. Good idea to try and ask though.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

Okay!

BUT Dr.Nitschke stated in an interview (with bimmerpost I think?) that all single number M-models would have the same number following the M as the models their bodystyle is coming from.

So F82 = 4er Coupe based = M4

Nothing else is making really sense if they wants to sell the 4er as an "more premium" car. And for the Iconic/myth M3 they bring the F80M3.

Greets Uli_HH
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
Okay!

BUT Dr.Nitschke stated in an interview (with bimmerpost I think?) that all single number M-models would have the same number following the M as the models their bodystyle is coming from.

So F82 = 4er Coupe based = M4

Nothing else is making really sense if they wants to sell the 4er as an "more premium" car. And for the Iconic/myth M3 they bring the F80M3.
Good memory. You're referring to this interview with Dr. Nitschke, where we asked and he answered:

Q: Any consideration of renaming the M3 coupe and convertible to M4?

A: Speaking of M model names, it's pretty easy - we have two variants: those having the M in front / series number in the back (i.e. M3, M5, M6) and second way is like the X models (i.e. X5M, X6M, Z4M) where the M is at the back. If there would be a 9 series and if M would do it, we would call it an M9 I guess. [We then asked whether the M models with the # at the end will always reflect the underlying car on which it's developed, and they confirmed. Presumably then, if the F32 coupe is named a "4 Series Coupe", the M variant of it will be called the "M4 Coupe." Ultimately the decision comes down to BMW's board of management though, which can of course always decide to break with any of these conventions.]
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

BMW Welt staff are not open to such information regarding future models, a bit like BMW dealers.
      07-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
It seems as though he was wrong then. Just passing along a message, i do however, wish it were correct. Regardless, i had a great time at the Welt and was so giddy to see everything that my common-sense kind of abandoned me. Definitely taking european delivery of my F82 in like 6 years.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
DoD74
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
      07-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
skier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS2015 View Post
So I was at the Welt earlier today on my trip in Munich and I was talking with some sort of SA (not exactly sure what his job description was).
Did he have a broom in his hands?
      07-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
The officially "naming" for the next M coupe/sedan is going to be debated as much as what engine will be powering the car? I really hope BMW doesn't throw the M3 reputation to waste by turning the coupe's into M4s, but until we see concrete, BMW-released specs on the engine/naming/features of the car, it's all just speculation
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS2015 View Post
He said "Nope. The M3 name is a symbol and they aren't going to get rid of it."
Giving the individual the benefit of the doubt as far as the legitimacy of his knowlegde and claims for a moment, let me just point out that, since the time we've been aware that a 3-Series-sedan-based M would be in the offing for this generation, there was never any risk of the above happening anyway.

That is to say that just because the M3 name will remain does not mean that the M4 will not also join the lineup. In point of fact, as momentum builds and insiders more readily use this rumored new naming system, things appear to be headed in exactly that direction. And for another thing, we are going to get an M4 come hell or high water anyway because there is absolutely no chance (well, not on my probability meter anyway) that a F3x Gran Coupe is going to be called a 3, nor will its M counterpart be called an M3. Those will be 4 and M4 - bank on it. So then, why would we confuse the matter by stuffing the coupe into the 3/M3 brand when the 4/M4 sits there ready for new product? It really would be a big surprise (and by my thinking, a big mess frankly) if it goes down any other way. That's my 2 cents.

Oh and thank you Uli for reminding us of those particular facts as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

That is called marketing : make a rumor next 3 Series / M3 Coupé will be called 4 Series / M4 Coupé, people will start using it and get used to it, and so it will be called. Now that everybody is aware that it might be called M4, it will be. There was the same question for the last generation, but it was not revealed to public, so because we were not aware of it, we could not discuss about it.
Appreciate 0