BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

06-10-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

How long prior to ED do I need to sign lease paperwork?

Hi guys,

I've been told by my dealer that I need to come down and sign paperwork today. My delivery date is the 2nd of July. That means we're still nearly 3 1/2 weeks out from delivery.

This also means my lease would start today. Which means my 3rd payment would be due August 10th. There's no way I will have the car back by then -- it's not even being dropped off until July 9th, which means it won't be back into my hands until a minimum of September 9th.

I told him I would sign it 3 days prior to leaving for Europe (which means I would sign the paperwork June 25th). His response was "We have to title and register the car along as make sure the funding is in order which is why we need 30 days. We are already passed that which is why I need it done, preferably today. I do understand in different states and stores rules, laws etc may vary but this is what I have to deal with."

As far as I'm aware, he doesn't need to title and register the car yet, correct? I mean, it won't even be on US soil until probably late August. I already received confirmation from BMW AG that it'll be registered by them for my ED trip... so that has nothing to do with my dealer.

Funding is probably an issue I suppose... but I didn't think it needed to be funded by the time I picked it up, just ensured that the lease is signed and back to BMWNA. 3 days prior to me leaving would give him 5 business days to get it signed and funded before the car was picked up.

Thoughts?
      06-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by guarnibl View Post
Hi guys,

I've been told by my dealer that I need to come down and sign paperwork today. My delivery date is the 2nd of July. That means we're still nearly 3 1/2 weeks out from delivery.

This also means my lease would start today. Which means my 3rd payment would be due August 10th. There's no way I will have the car back by then -- it's not even being dropped off until July 9th, which means it won't be back into my hands until a minimum of September 9th.

I told him I would sign it 3 days prior to leaving for Europe (which means I would sign the paperwork June 25th). His response was "We have to title and register the car along as make sure the funding is in order which is why we need 30 days. We are already passed that which is why I need it done, preferably today. I do understand in different states and stores rules, laws etc may vary but this is what I have to deal with."

As far as I'm aware, he doesn't need to title and register the car yet, correct? I mean, it won't even be on US soil until probably late August. I already received confirmation from BMW AG that it'll be registered by them for my ED trip... so that has nothing to do with my dealer.

Funding is probably an issue I suppose... but I didn't think it needed to be funded by the time I picked it up, just ensured that the lease is signed and back to BMWNA. 3 days prior to me leaving would give him 5 business days to get it signed and funded before the car was picked up.

Thoughts?
The information package that BMWNA sends you states that you must have everything in order 10 days prior to delivery. This is really so that the dealer can make sure the paper work is submitted on time. I didn't sign mine until 7 days before delivery and everything went smoothly.

There is some paper work to sign before then but not the financial transaction that starts your lease and requires your downpayment.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
The information package that BMWNA sends you states that you must have everything in order 10 days prior to delivery. This is really so that the dealer can make sure the paper work is submitted on time. I didn't sign mine until 7 days before delivery and everything went smoothly.

There is some paper work to sign before then but not the financial transaction that starts your lease and requires your downpayment.
Yep, I saw that as well in my packet. I don't understand the point of the dealer pressing me to sign it 30 days prior. Makes no sense. They aren't at any risk, they have a ton of my money already (primarily in trade value). What gives? I've already e-mailed BMWNAEXT. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask the dealer to accommodate my request as it falls in line with what BMWNA sent me.

The car doesn't need registered/titled though before it arrives to the US, does it?
      06-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

I signed the day before I left.
Appreciate 0