European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

06-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #23
jgoldsmith729
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

I will be delivering my vehicle to Gondrand in Zurich on July 4th or 5th and Saturday or Sunday respectively. There is a charge to drop it off after normal hours which is fairly hefty, but it will allow us to have more time before coming to Zurich.

For anyone who has dropped off in Zurich, what was the wait until it was received at the dealer, and do they ship directly from Zurich, or drive elsewhere?

Thanks!
Jon
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #24
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoldsmith729 View Post
I will be delivering my vehicle to Gondrand in Zurich on July 4th or 5th and Saturday or Sunday respectively. There is a charge to drop it off after normal hours which is fairly hefty, but it will allow us to have more time before coming to Zurich.

For anyone who has dropped off in Zurich, what was the wait until it was received at the dealer, and do they ship directly from Zurich, or drive elsewhere?

Thanks!
Jon

Pretty much what everyone in this thread is trying to find out...lol
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #25
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW - F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:

Thanks!
Jon
Did you read the thread? Lol

Appreciate 1
      06-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #26
jgoldsmith729
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamiboyca View Post
Did you read the thread? Lol

I did, that is exactly why I asked again to bump it to the top.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #27
RonnyK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Yeah that's $1500 now that's $1800 saved for the three of us if we fly to Zurich and rent a car to Munich. So far that's making more sense.
I'm also flying from PHL, and opted to fly to Frankfurt and then catch a short one-way flight to Munich on Lufthansa for $90.
2015 BMW ///M3 6MT, Austin Yellow Metallic/Sakhir Orange Extended, Executive, LED Lights, 19" Black Alloys, Adaptive M, Harman Kardon, S&T Cameras -- August 3 ED; August 10 Drop-off (Vienna); October 10 US Delivery
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #28
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnyK View Post
I'm also flying from PHL, and opted to fly to Frankfurt and then catch a short one-way flight to Munich on Lufthansa for $90.
How do you get back to Frankfurt? Am assuming your car but then is there a drop off location there?

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #29
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Okay bumping this thread up so someone can please answer this 2 question....

Does leaving the car in Zurich involve someone driving it cross country to get it to another location like it does for Italy drop offs?

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 07:30 AM   #30
RonnyK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
How do you get back to Frankfurt? Am assuming your car but then is there a drop off location there?
I am flying home out of (and dropping the car off in) Vienna. I am making use of some miles for my route, but when originally pricing my flights, I found the Frankfurt route to be the cheapest, all things considered.

I was thinking in your case you could drop the car back off in Munich and reverse course to get back to Frankfurt for your departure.
2015 BMW ///M3 6MT, Austin Yellow Metallic/Sakhir Orange Extended, Executive, LED Lights, 19" Black Alloys, Adaptive M, Harman Kardon, S&T Cameras -- August 3 ED; August 10 Drop-off (Vienna); October 10 US Delivery
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #31
chris s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Okay bumping this thread up so someone can please answer this 2 question....

Does leaving the car in Zurich involve someone driving it cross country to get it to another location like it does for Italy drop offs?

+1 pleaaaaaaaaaaase. RowanBuds ???

If that is the case, I think i will be changing my route and dropping off in munich, then take a train to Zurich to fly out... Call me crazy, but i really don't think i want a service driving my new M3 7 hours back to munich, I'd much prefer it be loaded onto a truck.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #32
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
+1 pleaaaaaaaaaaase. RowanBuds ???

If that is the case, I think i will be changing my route and dropping off in munich, then take a train to Zurich to fly out... Call me crazy, but i really don't think i want a service driving my new M3 7 hours back to munich, I'd much prefer it be loaded onto a truck.
Sorry for the delayed response - I didn't see this thread come up in my alerts until you just tagged me in a post. I'm subscribed now and I'll post an update once I inquire on my baby.

Zurich drop off: Does NOT drive your car to the port. The cars are picked up by a non-enclosed trailer for transport from Zurich to Bremerhaven.

Zurich to Munich - take a train. Don't bother with a car rental unless it's totally necessary. Trains are simple, quick, reasonable $$, and pretty much reliable. Also if your train is late more than X minutes you usually get a nice refund - on a Zurich to Amsterdam overnight train for this trip we were 2.5 hours late on arrival. I got a 50% refund - of $800 rail tickets. Color me happy.

There is an automated car wash I saw but will not put my car through one -even though BMW undoubtedly will. I wouldn't pay for a drop-off wash/wax considering the fact that BMW will run your car through auto washes at least 2 times, possibly 3 before you see it. Just save that money towards a post-delivery new car prep and paint correction. You'll be happier.

Washing: The day I dropped the car off it was raining pretty hard (seemed similar to the other days I had the car, but I digress). I rinsed the car off with just water at a gas station near the Zurich HB. Then drove the 10-15 minutes to Gondrand Logistics. By the time I got there dirt/mud/grass was all over the lower sides of the car. I advised the drop off agent the car was not clean, and he told me it was no concern. Said "That happens all of the time in the rain, the cars get washed prior to drop off and by the time they get here they're dirty again - they get washed at the port anyway."

The carriers want the cars washed so that any damage that is the responsibility of Allianz is attributed to Allianz (The BMW insurance carrier for your zero deductible ED policy).

Added time: From what I've seen it can add a week to re-delivery - BUT that can be drastically stretched based on shipping schedules. Meaning that it can take an extra week for your car to get picked up from Zurich and delivered to Bimmerhaven as compared to dropping it in Germany.

For example, when I showed up to Gondrand in Zurich, there was a car carrier loading up and leaving (There was a black M4 on the carrier in case it belongs to someone here). My car did not make it onto this truck - the worker at Gondrand advised my car should be picked up "by Friday" - I dropped it off on a Tuesday.

Now, lets say the boat schedule was Tuesdays. I obviously missed the boat on day of drop-off. Then it may have gotten picked up on Friday and got to the port on Tuesday - I missed the next boat. It's now the earliest possibility that I could then make the THIRD boat from drop-off date - but that doesn't account for any port backlog. The 3rd would be the best case scenario - where if I dropped it in Germany the 2nd boat would be the best case scenario. I hope that makes some sense to any of you who've managed to read this far.

The boat schedule for me was: 05/26, 06/03, 06/09, 06/16, 06/23, 07/03. I'm praying that I made the 06/03 boat, but not checking until the 16th at least. If I did make that boat (The Independence II), when I check I'll be only 2 or 3 days out from NJ Port arrival. That would be great . Alternatively, it's possible that when I check the car is still at port, which would then mean 07/08 at the earliest for US arrival. Then my car needs a paint fix, so it could be another 3-4 weeks from arrival to delivery. This wait SUCKS.

Quote:
You mean like on the paint?

The car goes through multiple QA/QC before it leaves the factory. I can imagine what they would catch that the factory didn't.
I'd love to agree with you but have a paint issue I can't believe made it out of the factory - al the more stunned that it was on an individual car. And FYI, yes they will fix all damage caused on ED (aside tires/rims per the literature), as you have a zero deductible policy in place that BMW holds covering the car. They fix whatever is reported at Gondrand, Gondrand does not get held liable for this damage, and BMW charges their repair costs back to Allianz, their zero deductible carrier.

Quote:

Thanks!
Jon
My understanding is that the reasonable expectation is an additional 1-2 weeks for redelivery - trying to avoid self disappointment through this whole process if I have been given any window I take the longest and add a week for In Case Shit...

Quote:
Yes there is a Frankfurt drop-off point and in my research it looked to be incredibly convenient given Frankfurt is easily navigable. It just didn't work out for me as my best flight change was out of AMS not Frankfurt.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 2
      06-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #33
chris s
Major General
Rep

thanks pal! good to know...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #34
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
Sorry for the delayed response - I didn't see this thread come up in my alerts until you just tagged me in a post. I'm subscribed now and I'll post an update once I inquire on my baby.

Zurich drop off: Does NOT drive your car to the port. The cars are picked up by a non-enclosed trailer for transport from Zurich to Bremerhaven.

Zurich to Munich - take a train. Don't bother with a car rental unless it's totally necessary. Trains are simple, quick, reasonable $$, and pretty much reliable. Also if your train is late more than X minutes you usually get a nice refund - on a Zurich to Amsterdam overnight train for this trip we were 2.5 hours late on arrival. I got a 50% refund - of $800 rail tickets. Color me happy.

There is an automated car wash I saw but will not put my car through one -even though BMW undoubtedly will. I wouldn't pay for a drop-off wash/wax considering the fact that BMW will run your car through auto washes at least 2 times, possibly 3 before you see it. Just save that money towards a post-delivery new car prep and paint correction. You'll be happier.

Washing: The day I dropped the car off it was raining pretty hard (seemed similar to the other days I had the car, but I digress). I rinsed the car off with just water at a gas station near the Zurich HB. Then drove the 10-15 minutes to Gondrand Logistics. By the time I got there dirt/mud/grass was all over the lower sides of the car. I advised the drop off agent the car was not clean, and he told me it was no concern. Said "That happens all of the time in the rain, the cars get washed prior to drop off and by the time they get here they're dirty again - they get washed at the port anyway."

The carriers want the cars washed so that any damage that is the responsibility of Allianz is attributed to Allianz (The BMW insurance carrier for your zero deductible ED policy).

Added time: From what I've seen it can add a week to re-delivery - BUT that can be drastically stretched based on shipping schedules. Meaning that it can take an extra week for your car to get picked up from Zurich and delivered to Bimmerhaven as compared to dropping it in Germany.

For example, when I showed up to Gondrand in Zurich, there was a car carrier loading up and leaving (There was a black M4 on the carrier in case it belongs to someone here). My car did not make it onto this truck - the worker at Gondrand advised my car should be picked up "by Friday" - I dropped it off on a Tuesday.

Now, lets say the boat schedule was Tuesdays. I obviously missed the boat on day of drop-off. Then it may have gotten picked up on Friday and got to the port on Tuesday - I missed the next boat. It's now the earliest possibility that I could then make the THIRD boat from drop-off date - but that doesn't account for any port backlog. The 3rd would be the best case scenario - where if I dropped it in Germany the 2nd boat would be the best case scenario. I hope that makes some sense to any of you who've managed to read this far.

The boat schedule for me was: 05/26, 06/03, 06/09, 06/16, 06/23, 07/03. I'm praying that I made the 06/03 boat, but not checking until the 16th at least. If I did make that boat (The Independence II), when I check I'll be only 2 or 3 days out from NJ Port arrival. That would be great . Alternatively, it's possible that when I check the car is still at port, which would then mean 07/08 at the earliest for US arrival. Then my car needs a paint fix, so it could be another 3-4 weeks from arrival to delivery. This wait SUCKS.

I'd love to agree with you but have a paint issue I can't believe made it out of the factory - al the more stunned that it was on an individual car. And FYI, yes they will fix all damage caused on ED (aside tires/rims per the literature), as you have a zero deductible policy in place that BMW holds covering the car. They fix whatever is reported at Gondrand, Gondrand does not get held liable for this damage, and BMW charges their repair costs back to Allianz, their zero deductible carrier.

My understanding is that the reasonable expectation is an additional 1-2 weeks for redelivery - trying to avoid self disappointment through this whole process if I have been given any window I take the longest and add a week for In Case Shit...

Yes there is a Frankfurt drop-off point and in my research it looked to be incredibly convenient given Frankfurt is easily navigable. It just didn't work out for me as my best flight change was out of AMS not Frankfurt.

Thanks for the detailed reply Any idea how the cars get transported to Bremerhaven from Munich? Enclosed on non-enclosed trailer?

Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #35
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Thanks RowanBuds

2015 M3 - MW, Sonoma, Exec, LED, Adaptive, HK, 19" Light, 6M ED 7/7/2015 - Redelivery-8/18/15
2013 535i - SG, Sonoma, M-SPort, Prem, Tech, CW, Lux Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012/PCD -12/14/12
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #36
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Looks like Rowan is the only one who can confirm but he doesn't want to torture himself by knowing where the car is at now..

Come on Rowan - help a brother out...
You helped crack my patience, so ...thanks?

My car tracking shows arrival at port on 06/07/2015 - and the car is ON BOARD the Don Juan, which left Bremerhaven late last night. ETA for NY is 6/24

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #37
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I am flying home out of (and dropping the car off in) Vienna. I am making use of some miles for my route, but when originally pricing my flights, I found the Frankfurt route to be the cheapest, all things considered.

I was thinking in your case you could drop the car back off in Munich and reverse course to get back to Frankfurt for your departure.
Am thinking of renting a car one way from Frankfurt to Munich. That way we get to enjoy the surroundings on Saturday and some on Sunday before pickup on Monday. Why drop the car in Munich? Wouldn't it make sense to drop it off in Frankfurt?

Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #38
RonnyK
Private First Class
Rep

That's a fine plan as well. I was only thinking about the idea that if you could get a very cheap round trip flight for Frankfurt to Munich, the cost and/or time savings may be more attractive.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #39
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's a fine plan as well. I was only thinking about the idea that if you could get a very cheap round trip flight for Frankfurt to Munich, the cost and/or time savings may be more attractive.
As of today, Philly-Franfurt is direct flight for $840 whereas Munich is $1,452 Since there are three of us, Frankfurt is a no brainer.

Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 12:28 PM   #40
RonnyK
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
As of today, Philly-Franfurt is direct flight for $840 whereas Munich is $1,452 Since there are three of us, Frankfurt is a no brainer.
Of course it is

As I mentioned, I got one-way flights from Frankfurt to Munich for slightly less than $90 a person, which was not much different from a train fare but many times faster. Depending on cost, time and other factors, it might make sense to leave the car in Munich and get back to Frankfurt via other means.

Glad you are on to a path that will work for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #41
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed reply Any idea how the cars get transported to Bremerhaven from Munich? Enclosed on non-enclosed trailer?

Thanks.
I believe the ED cars from Munich airport login/out are trucked open. Cars left at Welt, I am not sure on.

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #42
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Of course it is

As I mentioned, I got one-way flights from Frankfurt to Munich for slightly less than $90 a person, which was not much different from a train fare but many times faster. Depending on cost, time and other factors, it might make sense to leave the car in Munich and get back to Frankfurt via other means.

Glad you are on to a path that will work for you.
The domestic flight. Was it EasyJet? I hear their domestic rules for baggage are very strict and quite different from the US. For example, a laptop bag counts as a carry-on. If you have your stroller then that counts as a second carry on and you get charged for it.

What was your experience?

Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #43
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:

Thanks.
Quote:
The domestic flight. Was it EasyJet? I hear their domestic rules for baggage are very strict and quite different from the US. For example, a laptop bag counts as a carry-on. If you have your stroller then that counts as a second carry on and you get charged for it.

What was your experience?

Thanks.
Dont work on vacation and dont bring the kids...

2015 M3 - MW, Sonoma, Exec, LED, Adaptive, HK, 19" Light, 6M ED 7/7/2015 - Redelivery-8/18/15
2013 535i - SG, Sonoma, M-SPort, Prem, Tech, CW, Lux Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012/PCD -12/14/12
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #44
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Dont work on vacation and dont bring the kids...
No plans to carry the laptop. That as just an example By stroller, I meant the carry on baggage.

Appreciate 0