Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-09-2017, 01:57 AM   #1
EPS Man
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4,MW/SO Interior

KW Adaptive DDC Coilover

Saw some information regarding the KW DDC for F80/F82:

http://blog-int.kwautomotive.net/kw-...lay-for-m4-m3/

Good or better alternative than Bilstein B16?

When will it be available in the USA and pricing?
Appreciate 2
M4 CSL231.00
domino_z1248.50
      08-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
Pennzoil
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

subscribe
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Exciting news for M3/M4 owners that got EDC.

Just added to the Master List. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
Oreganoflow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80

hot damn
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
ZAGA_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F80

both KW and Bilstein been saying DDC for a while..tired of waiting on them two TBH
2010 E92 M3 (Sold)
2016 F80 ED..MW / Exec / Black 19' / DCT
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
ZAGA_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F80

well to correct my expectations at least:
Called KW just now and they do have these to order for US
Price is $3999.99 and part# is 39020039
2010 E92 M3 (Sold)
2016 F80 ED..MW / Exec / Black 19' / DCT
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGA_M3 View Post
both KW and Bilstein been saying DDC for a while..tired of waiting on them two TBH
Quote:
well to correct my expectations at least:
Called KW just now and they do have these to order for US
Price is $3999.99 and part# is 39020039
Yup. That was fast.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1411911
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 04:45 PM   #8
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Quote:
KW is officially released and are build to order. Bilstein has been saying next month for the last 2 years
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #9
EPS Man
Enlisted Member
Rep

Saw this review of KW DDC in the Audi forums:

" Hey guys. I started with the B16 Ride Control then went to the PSS10's and just put the KW DDC ECU system on.

The difference is immense. Let me tell you why.

When I first installed the B16 RC system it was great but you are stuck with their presets. Comfort and sport. The adjustment you have is when in Auto mode when it switches between to the 2 which is very clever. Comfort I found was nice and a little more bouncy than stock and sport was solid, much more than stock. Then on the S5 I went for the PSS10's as I wanted the adjustment so I could define just how soft it was and just how hard it was. As mentioned I track my car so during the week on my 400 mile a week driving I want comfort in the mix and then when on track I want it solid. So this system worked very well as in 5 mins you can jack the car up and twist the dials and you got your set up sorted. About a week of driving I had my set ups sorted so I knew what numbers for what I wanted it to be like.

But then I found out just what the KW DDC ECU system has to offer and trust me, it is well worth the extra with the wi fi module. Had I known exactly what it does I would have got this the first time round. Right, you have 3 preset modes. Comfort, Sport and Sport+. These are set in % from 0-100. Comfort is 0 front and rear, Sport is 36r and 39 rear I think and Sport+ is 100 both. Now, the Sport and Sport+ mode are tuneable so you can play around with these modes to tune for your liking if you have the wifi module. Thats very clever as you can put them to what you want, as soft or as hard as you like. Now, the comfort mode is very clever. When installing the system I couldn't figure out why I had to pull CAN pins out off an ECU in the boot (trunk) and connect to the DDC ECU and then piggy back to the ECU on the car?? Easy to do btw but why??
All becomes clear when looking at the app and driving as when in any mode in 2 of the screens it shows you the active setup (the % you are currently running) and in comfort mode which as stated is 0%, the faster you drive the stiffer it goes!!! So the CAN info its getting is SPD. It doesn't go that stiff at all, about 100mph was around 20 on the rear and 17 on the front but it changes on its own dependent on speed

So, as said you can set the Sport and Sport+ mode to your liking, for those who want to fit and forget with the button you can go through the 3 modes so I have now set Sport and Sport+ to how I like it and now all I do it push the button to what setting I want and its done instantly. Took me about 2 weeks playing (but Im OCD lol) to get it exactly how I wanted so now I have the perfect setup for my liking.

If I had known that this system did this I would have got this in the first place. I even said to KW UK WTF?? Why is this system not shouted about EVERYWHERE and he said it was but Im online a lot and have not seen it anywhere like most of you on here too by the sound of it lol.

All systems are great but your needs and budget will determine what you get but I will highly recommend the KW DDC ECU over them 3 but all are great for sure!!!"

Last edited by EPS Man; 08-11-2017 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #10
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPS Man View Post
Saw this review of KW DDC in the Audi forums:

" Hey guys. I started with the B16 Ride Control then went to the PSS10's and just put the KW DDC ECU system on.

The difference is immense. Let me tell you why.

When I first installed the B16 RC system it was great but you are stuck with their presets. Comfort and sport. The adjustment you have is when in Auto mode when it switches between to the 2 which is very clever. Comfort I found was nice and a little more bouncy than stock and sport was solid, much more than stock. Then on the S5 I went for the PSS10's as I wanted the adjustment so I could define just how soft it was and just how hard it was. As mentioned I track my car so during the week on my 400 mile a week driving I want comfort in the mix and then when on track I want it solid. So this system worked very well as in 5 mins you can jack the car up and twist the dials and you got your set up sorted. About a week of driving I had my set ups sorted so I knew what numbers for what I wanted it to be like.

But then I found out just what the KW DDC ECU system has to offer and trust me, it is well worth the extra with the wi fi module. Had I known exactly what it does I would have got this the first time round. Right, you have 3 preset modes. Comfort, Sport and Sport+. These are set in % from 0-100. Comfort is 0 front and rear, Sport is 36r and 39 rear I think and Sport+ is 100 both. Now, the Sport and Sport+ mode are tuneable so you can play around with these modes to tune for your liking if you have the wifi module. Thats very clever as you can put them to what you want, as soft or as hard as you like. Now, the comfort mode is very clever. When installing the system I couldn't figure out why I had to pull CAN pins out off an ECU in the boot (trunk) and connect to the DDC ECU and then piggy back to the ECU on the car?? Easy to do btw but why??
All becomes clear when looking at the app and driving as when in any mode in 2 of the screens it shows you the active setup (the % you are currently running) and in comfort mode which as stated is 0%, the faster you drive the stiffer it goes!!! So the CAN info its getting is SPD. It doesn't go that stiff at all, about 100mph was around 20 on the rear and 17 on the front but it changes on its own dependent on speed

So, as said you can set the Sport and Sport+ mode to your liking, for those who want to fit and forget with the button you can go through the 3 modes so I have now set Sport and Sport+ to how I like it and now all I do it push the button to what setting I want and its done instantly. Took me about 2 weeks playing (but Im OCD lol) to get it exactly how I wanted so now I have the perfect setup for my liking.

If I had known that this system did this I would have got this in the first place. I even said to KW UK WTF?? Why is this system not shouted about EVERYWHERE and he said it was but Im online a lot and have not seen it anywhere like most of you on here too by the sound of it lol.

All systems are great but your needs and budget will determine what you get but I will highly recommend the KW DDC ECU over them 3 but all are great for sure!!!"
There are two different products:
1) KW DDC ECU (the Audi guys is reviewing) is for cars that don't have adaptive suspensions in stock form. It comes with its own control unit and by default can be switched with a supplied button. Optionally you can add a wifi module, that lets individually adjust preset settings on a smartphone.
2) KW DDC Plug and Play is for cars that come with adaptive originally. The new coilover dampers connect to the original cables and are steered by the original control system. In the past you also had to transfer the acceleration sensors from the stock shocks. (However it appears newer models come with sensors built in by KW)
The later one is what is being offered for f8x. So no, you can not fine tune the stiffness of each of the presets (comfort/sport/sport+).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

be interested to see some reviews of this especiallyfor track use
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #12
EPS Man
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojs View Post
There are two different products:
1) KW DDC ECU (the Audi guys is reviewing) is for cars that don't have adaptive suspensions in stock form. It comes with its own control unit and by default can be switched with a supplied button. Optionally you can add a wifi module, that lets individually adjust preset settings on a smartphone.
2) KW DDC Plug and Play is for cars that come with adaptive originally. The new coilover dampers connect to the original cables and are steered by the original control system. In the past you also had to transfer the acceleration sensors from the stock shocks. (However it appears newer models come with sensors built in by KW)
The later one is what is being offered for f8x. So no, you can not fine tune the stiffness of each of the presets (comfort/sport/sport+).

Thanks for the info and great to know.

I wonder what the spring rates are and if you can have a choice?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #13
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Is this the same servo valve tech that the stock EDC uses?

Are these twin- or monotube?

Are the rebound and compression rates adjustable separately?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #14
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTalent View Post
Quote:
KW is officially released and are build to order. Bilstein has been saying next month for the last 2 years
Not sure what you're talking about, can buy b16 damptronic out of uk

Do a google search for 49-246988 and you'll find plenty of places selling them
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #15
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
Not sure what you're talking about, can buy b16 damptronic out of uk

Do a google search for 49-246988 and you'll find plenty of places selling them
A lot of places have it on their site but cannot fulfill the order
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #16
Nothing
Roll Tide
United_States
Rep
Drives: White/red M3

Quote:
So, $4k gets you the same ride comfort as OEM and a lower car with no warning light on the dash? I know I'm being cynical and there's more to it than thiat but for the "set it and forget it type" what are we going to notice?
      09-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #17
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
Quote:
So, $4k gets you the same ride comfort as OEM and a lower car with no warning light on the dash? I know I'm being cynical and there's more to it than thiat but for the "set it and forget it type" what are we going to notice?
I am no expert in suspensions, but from what I understand you get:
- adjustability of ride hight
- all the advantages of coilover struts (whatever they are)
- retain all the adaptive features of the stock system (including ability to select one out of three stiffness settings)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #18
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Kw ddc 3200 from this site

https://www.cheap-coilovers.com/shop...s-16581c1.html
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #19
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Quote:
Same question from me. I love how my '18 ZCP rides in comfort mode on the new forged 20s, but am going to lower it on wider aftermarket wheels here shortly on KW V3s.

If I can retain the factory comfort/sport/sport+ button action, that'd be pretty compelling.
      09-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #20
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
Quote:
Same question from me. I love how my '18 ZCP rides in comfort mode on the new forged 20s, but am going to lower it on wider aftermarket wheels here shortly on KW V3s.

If I can retain the factory comfort/sport/sport+ button action, that'd be pretty compelling.
Don't forget that for v3 you will have to get the EDC delete modules. (I think they are a rip off from all brands, given what they are)

Once you factor that in, the gap in price to DDC looks much better.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 06:45 PM   #21
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Quote:
Don't forget that for v3 you will have to get the EDC delete modules. (I think they are a rip off from all brands, given what they are)

Once you factor that in, the gap in price to DDC looks much better.
Getting that, but also considering coding it out as an alternative?
      10-03-2017, 11:18 PM   #22
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

do we have the spring rates yet for these?

i assume they'd be same as the non ddc v3, but i can't find those either
Appreciate 0