Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-19-2017, 10:49 PM   #1
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

ZCP owners! Suspension mods worth it?

I've had the M4 CP for 8 months and it's a really great car.... The car is primarily a DD but I really love driving and appreciate the handling and power. I also feel the 'sharpness' and 'plantedness' could be improved, so, I'm wondering if there's significant/noticeable benefit to changing suspension parts? The number of suspension improvements from the factory make me wonder if it's worth the time, trouble and expense? As you know, the ZCP comes with different springs, anti-sway bars etc..... I'm thinking springs and plates but wonder if it'll really be worth it or if there are other changes that improve the ZCP noticeably. BTW I changed the bushings of the thrust arms with bearings (Dinan) and did not notice a really significant change..... I'd love to hear from ZCP people, the suspension mods and their experience....
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #2
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemike View Post
I've had the M4 CP for 8 months and it's a really great car.... The car is primarily a DD but I really love driving and appreciate the handling and power. I also feel the 'sharpness' and 'plantedness' could be improved, so, I'm wondering if there's significant/noticeable benefit to changing suspension parts? The number of suspension improvements from the factory make me wonder if it's worth the time, trouble and expense? As you know, the ZCP comes with different springs, anti-sway bars etc..... I'm thinking springs and plates but wonder if it'll really be worth it or if there are other changes that improve the ZCP noticeably. BTW I changed the bushings of the thrust arms with bearings (Dinan) and did not notice a really significant change..... I'd love to hear from ZCP people, the suspension mods and their experience....
I say keep it stock. I just went with KW HAS and like many others mine make creeking noises too. And it rides/handles like shit. I'm going back to stock asap.

Looks good though!
Attached Images

FSociety3810.00
TonySCV509.00
mrfox148.00
TTR307.00
      08-20-2017, 12:11 AM   #3
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
I say keep it stock. I just went with KW HAS and like many they make creeking noises. And it rides like shit. I'm going back to stock.

Looks good though!
They do look better lowered!
I'm a noise hater, so everything you say scares the shit out of me....
Thx!
Appreciate 1
BIGW0RM3011.00
      08-20-2017, 12:53 AM   #4
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
I say keep it stock. I just went with KW HAS and like many others mine make creeking noises too. And it rides/handles like shit. I'm going back to stock asap.

Looks good though!
Thank you for your honest answer and the warning.
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 1
BIGW0RM3011.00
      08-20-2017, 01:34 AM   #5
jim996
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

You will need a full coilover set to improve it. Springs on their own aren't very good and just magnify some of the handling issues.
Appreciate 2
BIGW0RM3011.00
FSociety3810.00
      08-20-2017, 02:45 AM   #6
F80_patrickmurray
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I had springs for my first set-up, the ride was ok, ended up putting Kw v3's and love it now. The ride is stiff but not that much more than the sport setting with the adaptive suspension. Overall really happy with coilover setup. If you plan on any suspension mods, coilovers are the only way to go in my opinion

edit: also my springs made some funky noises that was a huge reason I got rid of them, haven't heard a sound with the coilovers

2018 F80 M3 Daytona Violet
2017 F80 M3 Alpine white, 6MT, Carbon Cloth, Lighting pack, HRE, Eventuri, Mode Carbon, KW, Status Gruppe, ESS Tuning, MRG Race Co, M-Performance
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      08-20-2017, 03:17 AM   #7
two+2
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP Grey Black

Thanks for posing the question, i'm following this thread as I am in the same dilemma... props for fellow Vancity area member

Also thought about the bushing change so would love to hear more of your impressions and where you got the work done.

Last edited by two+2; 08-20-2017 at 03:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #8
dacman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4, Comp Package

Quote:
I have a 2016 ZCP and I installed the Mperf suspension and it made a huge difference. Not only does it look way better, the ride is much improved. The car feels planted. Before the suspension upgrade it felt jittery at times and harsh over big bumps. Now it feels much smoother and it absorbs large bumps in stride. Sometimes I hit a big pot hole and cleanch my teeth expecting a sharp thud only to be pleasantly surprised how well the car absorbs the impact. This is the way the car should have come stock.
Appreciate 1
Ilikemike250.50
      08-21-2017, 12:08 AM   #9
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post
Quote:
I have a 2016 ZCP and I installed the Mperf suspension and it made a huge difference. Not only does it look way better, the ride is much improved. The car feels planted. Before the suspension upgrade it felt jittery at times and harsh over big bumps. Now it feels much smoother and it absorbs large bumps in stride. Sometimes I hit a big pot hole and cleanch my teeth expecting a sharp thud only to be pleasantly surprised how well the car absorbs the impact. This is the way the car should have come stock.
I don't know about the m kit version. But I have the version 2 KW has kit that I was told is identical to the m kit has.

Others have reported the same unsafe feeling. Bumps are exaggerated to the point I don't feel safe in mine taking on ramps I could take stock at 85, that now I wouldn't dare taking at 75. The bumps in the corner cause my car to unsettle to the point I feel unsafe.

Mine still make noise after two shop visits. Mine bounce on the highway much more than stock did.

Street driving straight line is mostly fine. But cornering at high speed is completely sacrificed as far as I'm concerned.

Even at normal street speeds around a corner seem less "planted" to me.

I'm blown away that you feel your car is more "planted"

I'll say this. My E92 kw has kit felt MUCH better than the f8x kits.

Anyways, anyone in south Orange County CA is welcome to meet me to see for themselves before I have them removed.
      08-21-2017, 02:15 AM   #10
mechanic75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3cs

Before you take them off put them to bmw recommended heights and more importantly get your software updated.

My car has this kit and latest software and it is excellent.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #11
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't know about the m kit version. But I have the version 2 KW has kit that I was told is identical to the m kit has.

Others have reported the same unsafe feeling. Bumps are exaggerated to the point I don't feel safe in mine taking on ramps I could take stock at 85, that now I wouldn't dare taking at 75. The bumps in the corner cause my car to unsettle to the point I feel unsafe.

Mine still make noise after two shop visits. Mine bounce on the highway much more than stock did.

Street driving straight line is mostly fine. But cornering at high speed is completely sacrificed as far as I'm concerned.

Anyways, anyone in south Orange County CA is welcome to meet me to see for themselves before I have them removed.
Thanks for the detailed reply! How can it be that there is so much variability in drivers experience of the same kit (although your using V2) Your post and BIGWORM's reminds me of cheaper aftermarket products that were out there when I was a kid but of course they're not, e.g., BMW is using KW as a supplier..... Interestingly, I have not heard any bad reviews of MP kits.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic75 View Post
Before you take them off put them to bmw recommended heights and more importantly get your software updated.

This could be the problem, thanks.....
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #13
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Thanks for the detailed reply! How can it be that there is so much variability in drivers experience of the same kit (although your using V2) Your post and BIGWORM's reminds me of cheaper aftermarket products that were out there when I was a kid but of course they're not, e.g., BMW is using KW as a supplier..... Interestingly, I have not heard any bad reviews of MP kits.

Any drop spring or sleeve over is a CHEAP solution. Doesn't matter who makes it. Its not the right way to do it. Real coil overs are the way to go.

See this thread about the noise issue.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1405807

I say stay stock. Just my opinion based off my experience with my kit.
FSociety3810.00
M4 CSL229.00
      08-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #14
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:

I was not aware of an update for the suspension? I assume my dealer will tell me there is no update. And if there is an update, now that I have KW HAS installed, that they wont do it or make a stink about warranty or wanting me to pay for it.

I will look into that though. Thank you for the heads up.
      08-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #15
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Quote:

I was not aware of an update for the suspension? I assume my dealer will tell me there is no update. And if there is an update, now that I have KW HAS installed, that they wont do it or make a stink about warranty or wanting me to pay for it.

It's an update to the I-step software. It's not specifically for the suspension but changes a lot of the settings much improving the ride even stock. With the M perf suspension, it's even better.

If you are an old software version, you are not getting the full benefit.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #16
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:

The new KW HAS is similar but not identical. KW updated the front perches but unless they failed to update their specs, the KW kit has more range that it can lower the car. They may have only updated the front perches and not the springs, etc.

Eitherway, the latest I-step update had some improvements to the adaptive suspension settings and those changes also positively affected the M performance HAS experience. You will likely benefit from this update as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 06:04 PM   #17
mechanic75
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3cs

Quote:

No problem.

It is part of the instructions of the MP HAS to update the software. You might need to give them a reason to do it or just pay for it. Worth it.
Appreciate 1
Ilikemike250.50
      08-21-2017, 06:47 PM   #18
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Either go for MP has or Dinan Has.

I have Dinan on my ZCP and I love them, car rides amazing and feels more stable (who knows maybe it's a placebo effect). Never had any noises or issues, bought directly from BMW and never had warranty issues.

I went with Dinan because I was tired of waiting for BMW to release the MP has.

I would only look at those two options, unless you want to go for a full coilover! All the springs/kw has are surrounded by horror stories.
Appreciate 1
Ilikemike250.50
      08-24-2017, 12:47 AM   #19
Racer35
Tombarra Stalker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP, Mineral Grey

Quote:
Depends on how you drive the car and how much the front wheel gap bothers you. If you're doing many track days, camber plates are a must. I like the stock suspension but it's far too soft for real track duty. I have Dinan HAS and still find it to be too soft for the track but I wouldn't want it any stiffer as a daily driver, so I'm stopping there.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #20
Sinnakle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 SO M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
The new KW HAS is similar but not identical. KW updated the front perches but unless they failed to update their specs, the KW kit has more range that it can lower the car. They may have only updated the front perches and not the springs, etc.

Eitherway, the latest I-step update had some improvements to the adaptive suspension settings and those changes also positively affected the M performance HAS experience. You will likely benefit from this update as well.
I just had V1 installed and the shop called over to KW to find out the differences before we installed since they sent over V1 instead of V2. V1 allows for a lower drop than V2 according to KW. So, V2 may be identical to the MP has they produce for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #21
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

To me it's looking like the installer is the problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 07:03 PM   #22
FreshFish
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: AW ZCP F82

V1 KW HAS here on ZCP. 10k mi strong and still feels great. No noise issues what so ever aside from the random creaks from the interior. V2's also have the smaller perches for those concerned with the inner wheel/tire clearance.
Appreciate 1
Ilikemike250.50