Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
mdefalco25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

What is this sound? Video included...

So, it's not every time, however, quite often, after my car has been sitting for a night, when I open any door, whether driver, trunk etc. I occasionally get this loud ticking sound in the engine bay for about 10 seconds. Unless I turn on the car, it continues to click if I open another door. I'm considering having the dealership take a look at it, but wanted to see if anybody knew what this was? I tried searching but couldn't find anything close. Thanks!

Here is a video I took:

You may need to click on image and give it a moment to load the video in flicker...

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdefalco25 View Post
So, it's not every time, however, quite often, after my car has been sitting for a night, when I open any door, whether driver, trunk etc. I occasionally get this loud ticking sound in the engine bay for about 10 seconds. Unless I turn on the car, it continues to click if I open another door. I'm considering having the dealership take a look at it, but wanted to see if anybody knew what this was? I tried searching but couldn't find anything close. Thanks!

Here is a video I took:

You may need to click on image and give it a moment to load the video in flicker...

Any ideas?

You are not the only one hearing this.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...hlight=ticking

Feels like there is no definitive explanation, and people (me included) are just living with it, together with all sorts of other sound/noises.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
mdefalco25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Thanks for the heads up. Seems very random/odd. Wish there was a definitive reason for it or somebody would figure it out! Pretty annoying when I hear it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #4
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdefalco25 View Post

Here is a video I took:

Any ideas?

This isn't specific to the F80. I have this on my F15 X5, and it seems that no one knows the true answer.

Apparently some have associated it with a leak of oil into the valvetronic motor for one user... name was Influence... He had an X3. Apparently it is known back to the e90, and something with the valvetronic servo motor.

Essentially my X5 has been to the dealer twice and haven't been able to "reproduce". It happened daily when the car was new... now happens once in a great while, maybe 1x every 2 months.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
IrvineTim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F82

thats loud!!!! Mine does not do that! How can I get that mod?
Appreciate 0