Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #1607
AustinGelbM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
I tried kicking my foot multiple times, tried swiping my foot from side to side underneath the rear bumper, nothing happened
Worked intermittently for me until I figured out what I was doing wrong. Do not swipe. Stick your foot under the middle of the car and pull back without any long pause THEN take a step or 2 back. The hazards will flash about a second later then trunk will open. Works every time for me now.
Appreciate 1
'Cane8656.00
      11-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #1608
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGelbM4 View Post
Worked intermittently for me until I figured out what I was doing wrong. Do not swipe. Stick your foot under the middle of the car and pull back without any long pause THEN take a step or 2 back. The hazards will flash about a second later then trunk will open. Works every time for me now.
This is the proper technique. Works every time.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #1609
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
2009 Camry Hybrid  [0.00]
Talking Video may have killed the Radio Star, but not the various Radio Controls!!

So in an epic realization of my incompetence, I discovered yesterday how easy it is to change satellite stations (it's all I listen to) via the steering wheel scroll and the directional buttons on the top of the radio stack.

In my poor defense, I always use the memory buttons to the left of the arrows as intended, with various functions, (except the sport display, it won't allow a short cut, very vexxing) typically none have been used for radio. I have no excuse for not knowing the scroll wheel. I have used the the opposite side rocker switch for speed increase or decrease in cruise control mode. I never thought to look for a quicker way to change a radio channel, because I simply hadn't cared enough.

I stupidly looked at the arrows for the first time yesterday when I was swapping the CBR into the garage after work, (brought the car home December 5, 2015), I was listening to channel 9, 90's Music, and low and behold wouldn't you know it when I hit the right arrow button, the radio went right to channel 10? Pushed the left arrow and it flipped right back to channel 9. Then the scroll bar on the steering wheel came into focus. Well you all know what happened.

I have typically changed the satellite radio stations via the iDrive RADIO>SATELITE RADIO>CHANNEL SELECT and perused the mostly music channels, yes, sometimes even going up or down one channel at a time.

2 hours and 10 minutes of time has been lost by using the iDrive to change the radio channel. Well maybe not that long.....

Dec 5 to Nov 22 = 353 days
Total Days Driven Car = ~173 (Based on 5700 miles on car vs 12,000 average)
Average Channel Change = 5 per day driven
DBACE Radio Channel Change Process = 10 sec p/channel
Driving Wheel Channel Change Process = .5 sec p/channel
Radio Stack Channel Change Process = 1.5 sec p/channel

My name is DBACE and I am Radio Channel Changer Challenged.
      11-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #1610
Don Molina
not that guy
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 + S2000

Up until today I would occasionally try to engage Launch Control and every time I would fail. I did everything right, apart from burying my foot all the way.

I would hesitantly tap the gas and the clutch would start grabbing, and I wasn't confident enough to mash it as I thought I would just stress everything.

Today I said the hell with it, I'm going for it. So at a set of lights, going to get some gas after a pretty nice day, next to a Prius, I buried the pedal in the carpet and clicked the kick-down button.
The flag appeared and the engine went to 3k.

It was really interesting the the car had a slight delay from letting the brake to actually launching. But it was really cool! It kept the 1st gear in check, and I could feel it modulating second.

Anyway; kids remember:
mash the pedal for launch!

That is all
      11-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #1611
bringbacklsb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 LSB M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBACE View Post
So in an epic realization of my incompetence, I discovered yesterday how easy it is to change satellite stations (it's all I listen to) via the steering wheel scroll and the directional buttons on the top of the radio stack.

In my poor defense, I always use the memory buttons to the left of the arrows as intended, with various functions, (except the sport display, it won't allow a short cut, very vexxing) typically none have been used for radio. I have no excuse for not knowing the scroll wheel. I have used the the opposite side rocker switch for speed increase or decrease in cruise control mode. I never thought to look for a quicker way to change a radio channel, because I simply hadn't cared enough.

I stupidly looked at the arrows for the first time yesterday when I was swapping the CBR into the garage after work, (brought the car home December 5, 2015), I was listening to channel 9, 90's Music, and low and behold wouldn't you know it when I hit the right arrow button, the radio went right to channel 10? Pushed the left arrow and it flipped right back to channel 9. Then the scroll bar on the steering wheel came into focus. Well you all know what happened.

I have typically changed the satellite radio stations via the iDrive RADIO>SATELITE RADIO>CHANNEL SELECT and perused the mostly music channels, yes, sometimes even going up or down one channel at a time.

2 hours and 10 minutes of time has been lost by using the iDrive to change the radio channel. Well maybe not that long.....

I have one of the memory numbers assigned to sport display. You must not actually be in the sport display when trying to assign it, but rather highlight Sport Displays from the menu without selecting it, then press and hold the memory button of choice and it will save.
Appreciate 1
DBACE690.00
      11-24-2016, 12:48 AM   #1612
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Molina View Post
Up until today I would occasionally try to engage Launch Control and every time I would fail. I did everything right, apart from burying my foot all the way.

I would hesitantly tap the gas and the clutch would start grabbing, and I wasn't confident enough to mash it as I thought I would just stress everything.

Today I said the hell with it, I'm going for it. So at a set of lights, going to get some gas after a pretty nice day, next to a Prius, I buried the pedal in the carpet and clicked the kick-down button.

It was really interesting the the car had a slight delay from letting the brake to actually launching. But it was really cool! It kept the 1st gear in check, and I could feel it modulating second.

Anyway; kids remember:

That is all
Out of interest what sort of weather conditions have you got now. And are you on mpss?
Every time I've launched I just do a massive wheelspin and lay down rubber for 40-50ft. No grip whatsoever and usually end up sideways. That's even in the peak of summer with warmed up tyres. I would never ever have the confidence to do it at the lights I'd just crash into every car around me lol
      11-24-2016, 05:41 AM   #1613
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBACE View Post

I hav the "Sports Display" programmed on the number 5 button in my track profile, so it does work.

Further regarding the radio stations, I, as you, have all my preset buttons used for other than radio stations. If I want to listen to the radio, I either press the "Mode" button on the steering wheel or the "Radio" button next to the iDrive controller. How the radio channels are scrolled also depends on which radio "screen" is active in iDrive. I have mine set at the "preset" screen so it only scrolls through my preferred channels.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
DBACE690.00
      11-24-2016, 06:22 AM   #1614
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

Tires have to be super warm and sticky. Also, you can kick down the RPMS Use the left toggle on the steering wheel once Launch control is engaged, you will see the revs go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbooo View Post
Out of interest what sort of weather conditions have you got now. And are you on mpss?
Every time I've launched I just do a massive wheelspin and lay down rubber for 40-50ft. No grip whatsoever and usually end up sideways. That's even in the peak of summer with warmed up tyres. I would never ever have the confidence to do it at the lights I'd just crash into every car around me lol
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 07:23 AM   #1615
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawshank772 View Post
Tires have to be super warm and sticky. Also, you can kick down the RPMS Use the left toggle on the steering wheel once Launch control is engaged, you will see the revs go down.
Yep did that already, tyres at around 35 degrees C, outside temp around 25 (doesn't get much warmer than that in the UK) dropped rpm to the minimum, somewhere around 2000 and this is the result lol (i turned around to take the picture, i didnt completely spin)

///Mongo272.50
      11-24-2016, 07:45 AM   #1616
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4 ZCP

Read post #4, Launch Control vs. Smoky Burnout Launch control.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1272127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Molina View Post

Anyway; kids remember:

That is all
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #1617
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

one of the most useless features on the car is the little green light on the windscreen wiper stalk that tells you you have activated automatic wipers....
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #1618
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbooo View Post
Yep did that already, tyres at around 35 degrees C, outside temp around 25 (doesn't get much warmer than that in the UK) dropped rpm to the minimum, somewhere around 2000 and this is the result lol (i turned around to take the picture, i didnt completely spin)

I think I'll just leave Traction Control and DSC on in my car. It looks like you had a scary moment. You're lucky you didn't go into the trees. They won't budge.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 09:46 PM   #1619
///Mongo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe

One of the most useless features is our half-baked launch control
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 08:34 PM   #1620
AustinGelbM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

Three things.

1. The M4 is a well sorted out car that has faults but strikes a very good balance
2. The brightness of the HUD is controlled by BOTH the iDrive AND the instrument brightness knob on the lights panel
3. The cup holder cover is also the perfect iPhone 6s holder
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #1621
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeM4 View Post
Read post #4, Launch Control vs. Smoky Burnout Launch control.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1272127
I call on that.

This is nowhere described in the owners manual. IMO, if you get the checkered flag in the cluster with the warning "Launch Control Acitvated", it is just that. Period.

The "smokey burnout" occurs when you mash the throttle without first depressing the brake. Doing so will send the engine almost to redline before the DCT dumps the clutch resulting in a true burnout. Perfect to clean and warm the tires just before using the actual "launch control" .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-27-2016 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 05:55 AM   #1622
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I learned that my new exhaust sounds awesome!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 06:08 AM   #1623
DreamSlider ///M
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 AB 6MT M3 ZCP (Sabine)

Today (and every day for the past 3.75), I learned that when the ship carrying your car is out of range of free tracking options are some of the most painful days of waiting for my new baby to arrive....
Appreciate 1
Adcampo888.50
      11-29-2016, 06:49 AM   #1624
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamSlider ///M View Post
Today (and every day for the past 3.75), I learned that when the ship carrying your car is out of range of free tracking options are some of the most painful days of waiting for my new baby to arrive....
You can sign up for a trial period of the premium account that lasts longer than the amount of time the ship is at sea. Just cancel when it is back in range.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 07:41 AM   #1625
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

I've been in the car six months now never noticed this till yesterday,
Next time you turn on the cruise control look at the analog miles per hour gauge and watched a little dot come up to the speed that you're at when setting it ...

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 01:04 PM   #1626
rkick08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamSlider ///M View Post
I feel your pain.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 935
Size:  36.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #1627
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Is there a way to use the HUD always in M mode? I already programmed it into my M1 and M2 buttons but I also want it to be in the M mode whenever I start the car. In other words, if I'm not using M1 or M2 modes, my HUD is always in basic mode and I have to go to iDrive to change it every time.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 05:19 PM   #1628
DreamSlider ///M
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 AB 6MT M3 ZCP (Sabine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson6594 View Post
You can sign up for a trial period of the premium account that lasts longer than the amount of time the ship is at sea. Just cancel when it is back in range.
Thank you! I had seen that, but I hate giving CC information out... especially for a free trial... ship is scheduled to stop in Baltimore tomorrow, so I'm expecting it to pop back in on AIS overnight tonight some time.
Appreciate 0