EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
Banksie
Rep
Drives: M4 CP

Can the car display the exact quantity of fuel in the tank (in L/gal)?

Is there anyway of finding the amount of fuel in litres/gallons in the car?

Connecteddrive shows the amount of fuel in litres(UK),but all I’ve got on the car is the gauge!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksie View Post

Connecteddrive shows the amount of fuel in litres(UK),but all I’ve got on the car is the gauge!
Not that I know of, but why would you need this? Just curious as to why you'd need any more accuracy than the gauge ...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
Banksie
Rep

Info must be there, just wondered why I can’t see it!

Then again E, 1/4, 1/2, full or exact Gallons or litres, you decide!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Second thread I recall about precision of gas gauge or trip computer. Someone else was pissed when the trip computer told them they had only 10 miles of range when they actually had more, forcing them to stop for gas when they didn’t want to stop. Just drive and fill up when there is 1/4 tank left.
SakhirM410784.50
BMWM5NYC496.00
mrfox148.00
      03-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

Not quite what you're looking for, but I find the gauge to be fairly accurate, where every tick mark on the gauge is 10 liters.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Hi, the connected drive app is the only way I have found to access this information as well.

You could also divide the range by average mpg to get gallons left.. but that's the same info as your app shows
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #7
Banksie
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Not quite what you're looking for, but I find the gauge to be fairly accurate, where every tick mark on the gauge is 10 liters.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 06:03 PM   #8
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Info must be there, just wondered why I can’t see it!

Then again E, 1/4, 1/2, full or exact Gallons or litres, you decide!
Not sure about the UK, but in the US the gauge actually reads in sixths! There are three characters on the gauge, 0 on the left, 1/2 (in the middle), and F on the right. In between the 0 and the 1/2, and the 1/2 and the F are two small tick marks. I don't understand why they just didn't stick with the standard quarter tank designations!

Appreciate 1
2000cs3496.50
      03-22-2018, 02:56 AM   #9
Kimeran
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

There is actually a hidden menu that displays the exact litres in the main tank and reserve tank.
It is a bit of a trick to access it...
1) Car has to be started.
2) Hold down the trip reset button until it shows you a menu.
3) Press the trip reset button to scroll down the menu until you see "unlock"
4) Hold the trip reset button on the unlock icon to access it.
5) It will ask for a code. Add the last 5 numbers of your VIN together. Whatever that total number is, press the button until it gets to that number (Mine added together was 24).
6) Once you click the button until it gets to that number, hold the button down until it accepts and shows you the hidden menu.
7) In that hidden menu, it will show you a bunch of information. Fuel in the tank is one of them.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2018, 05:21 AM   #10
dongerkim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Second thread I recall about precision of gas gauge or trip computer. Someone else was pissed when the trip computer told them they had only 10 miles of range when they actually had more, forcing them to stop for gas when they didn’t want to stop. Just drive and fill up when there is 1/4 tank left.
Isn’t this better than underestimating? Reminds me of my high school days where the thought of running out of gas was an everyday occurance lol
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 05:22 AM   #11
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Not sure about the UK, but in the US the gauge actually reads in sixths! There are three characters on the gauge, 0 on the left, 1/2 (in the middle), and F on the right. In between the 0 and the 1/2, and the 1/2 and the F are two small tick marks. I don't understand why they just didn't stick with the standard quarter tank designations!
As I posted previously, every tick mark is 10 litres.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #12
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post
There is actually a hidden menu that displays the exact litres in the main tank and reserve tank.
5) It will ask for a code. Add the last 5 numbers of your VIN together. Whatever that total number is, press the button until it gets to that number (Mine added together was 24).
6) Once you click the button until it gets to that number, hold the button down until it accepts and shows you the hidden menu.
7) In that hidden menu, it will show you a bunch of information. Fuel in the tank is one of them.

Interesting info. What other hidden menu items does it reveal?

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #13
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:
Wait. I don't get it. If they stopped and got gas, how did he know that he didn't really need to stop? Once you fill up, there is no way to tell how much range you actually had before you filled up.

Also, if you're at the point where it's saying range is 10 miles, it's probably a good idea to get gas anyway.
      03-22-2018, 09:51 AM   #14
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized View Post
Quote:
Second thread I recall about precision of gas gauge or trip computer. Someone else was pissed when the trip computer told them they had only 10 miles of range when they actually had more, forcing them to stop for gas when they didnÂ’t want to stop. Just drive and fill up when there is 1/4 tank left.
Wait. I don't get it. If they stopped and got gas, how did he know that he didn't really need to stop? Once you fill up, there is no way to tell how much range you actually had before you filled up.

Also, if you're at the point where it's saying range is 10 miles, it's probably a good idea to get gas anyway.
I agree with stopping to get gas before that.

He said there was more range left because the gallons added to the tank < tank capacity, so there was obviously more fuel in the tank.
      03-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #15
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasko View Post
Interesting info. What other hidden menu items does it reveal?
A lot of people go right for the guns, it's a safe choice:

Me? Personally I like unconventional and go straight at that mime. Who the fuck likes mimes anyway?

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 10:39 AM   #16
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:

He said there was more range left because the gallons added to the tank < tank capacity, so there was obviously more fuel in the tank.
I wouldn't even think to calculate all that in my head. I'd just go with the flow...
      03-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #17
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized View Post
Quote:

I wouldn't even think to calculate all that in my head. I'd just go with the flow...
Exactly. Just stop when it starts to get low before the last possible second before you run out and just go about your normal business.
      03-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #18
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
2009 Camry Hybrid  [0.00]
Smile Measurment System Analysis

You could perform an MSA on the gauge to figure out its bias, linearity, stability, repeatability and reproducibility. Done enough times you will know how many liters you have based on gauge position.

You could strategically place then connect a digital meter to the voltage line being sent from the tank level indicator. Program the meter to max at 59.8 liters, based on voltage (max or peak signal) being sent when the tank is full. Make sure you remember the linearity is skewed from full (+ if you top off to the cap) to the point the float starts to drop, because the float is probably submerged when the tank is full and does not start to move until the gas gets under the float's most bottom level. Once you run the tank to empty by the tank level indicator, Drain the tank of remaining fuel to determine how much slop there is. Put the fuel back in the tank and then be like Kramer, baseline the meter to read a min value of 0.0 liters based on the time it took for the car to sputter and die from fuel starvation. Of course you will have to reverse the voltage to increase as it empties and place a time delayed fuse in there too.

Good luck, I hope the short-cut Kimeran posted works out too, sounds less complicated, but clique intensive compared to my silly ideas, which are a pain in the arse just once.....well except the MSA, you'll have to do that a few times.

Last edited by DBACE; 03-22-2018 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #19
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:

Connecteddrive shows the amount of fuel in litres(UK),but all IÂ’ve got on the car is the gauge!
Didn't know that. Thanks
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321115.00
      03-23-2018, 03:07 AM   #20
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBACE View Post
You could perform an MSA on the gauge to figure out its bias, linearity, stability, repeatability and reproducibility. Done enough times you will know how many liters you have based on gauge position.

You could strategically place then connect a digital meter to the voltage line being sent from the tank level indicator. Program the meter to max at 59.8 liters, based on voltage (max or peak signal) being sent when the tank is full. Make sure you remember the linearity is skewed from full (+ if you top off to the cap) to the point the float starts to drop, because the float is probably submerged when the tank is full and does not start to move until the gas gets under the float's most bottom level. Once you run the tank to empty by the tank level indicator, Drain the tank of remaining fuel to determine how much slop there is. Put the fuel back in the tank and then be like Kramer, baseline the meter to read a min value of 0.0 liters based on the time it took for the car to sputter and die from fuel starvation. Of course you will have to reverse the voltage to increase as it empties and place a time delayed fuse in there too.

Good luck, I hope the short-cut Kimeran posted works out too, sounds less complicated, but clique intensive compared to my silly ideas, which are a pain in the arse just once.....well except the MSA, you'll have to do that a few times.
I can almost guarantee the data is sent over CAN bus, but it's probably not worth anyone's time to pull it out. Really, it's bad to starve your fuel pump though so...

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 06:09 AM   #21
Banksie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

Thanks, how the hell did you ever find that out?!!!

Off to give it a go!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 06:19 AM   #22
MMMCOOKIES55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP/ '16 ATS-V

As Kimeran said, almost every modern BMW (since E36) has had a hidden menu of sorts. Its really used for technicians to diagnose various issues with the vehicles. Fuel is one of them. In the hidden menu you will find exact liters of fuel in each side of the tank.
Appreciate 0