Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

06-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #67
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

He doesn't give out free tunes to everyone, so what is the cost if I were to send my file to him?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #68
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
He doesn't give out free tunes to everyone, so what is the cost if I were to send my file to him?
I think you'd need to contact Heinz (not the ketchup company ). On their main website they list a crazy price 1300 Eur for the same performance numbers su listed! Don't know what that corresponds to...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 06:23 AM   #69
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37
I would recommend to contact the tuner directly, they respond very quickly(during business hours ofcourse, keep the time difference in mind)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 08:45 AM   #70
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_root View Post
I would recommend to contact the tuner directly, they respond very quickly(during business hours ofcourse, keep the time difference in mind)
Contacted a couple tuners, seems as though the price is a "toss up" for either buying the equipment and sending your file to a tuner vs. getting some one like VF to do it.

p.s. all the other tuners seem to have the GTS burbles and features as well.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 09:02 AM   #71
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
Contacted a couple tuners, seems as though the price is a "toss up" for either buying the equipment and sending your file to a tuner vs. getting some one like VF to do it.

p.s. all the other tuners seem to have the GTS burbles and features as well.
PM sent
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #72
packetpilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: California Packet
Location: Left edge of browser window beneath 'join date' obvi

Quote:
Will I lend my master tool for anyone else willing to follow in my steps?...Sure, Ill teach you everything I know-knock yourself out.
I'd like to take you up on that offer--you've got a PM from me already (sent before I read the thread in entirety). My spare DME is getting the dust blown off it. :-)

I'll take care of shipping and have a few other goodies I can offer you in exchange for being a helpful dude (beyond the degree to which you've already been helpful).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 05:57 AM   #73
Fblade
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Excellent work su_root, not brave enough to attempt this yet but avidly watching until i grow a pair
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 05:15 PM   #74
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

brilliant work OP
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #75
Mikecom32
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 ZCP 6MT, '05 330xi 6MT,

su_root and packet pilot have you guys had a chance to work on this any more?

I'm also an IT guy with an interest in embedded systems and poking around. Curious to see how you've made out.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 06:47 AM   #76
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecom32 View Post

I'm also an IT guy with an interest in embedded systems and poking around. Curious to see how you've made out.
No IT guys allowed here only IT professionals lol kidding

Threads pretty much done. Feel free to ask questions
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 08:13 AM   #77
packet.pilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: test mule

Quote:

I haven't been able to get my hands on a K-TAG yet, and as I'm between jobs at present, am limiting my purchases of new toys.

I did email Heinz Performance about this months back and unfortunately they didn't find my inquiry worth responding to, so that has basically been a good excuse for me to not pursue it, for now. My spare DME is just gathering dust.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 08:16 AM   #78
packet.pilot
Banned
Rep

Oh, Mikecom32 , here's a thing to check out for embedded fun:
https://community.carloop.io/t/bmw-e.../237/3?u=alanm
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #79
Mikecom32
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 ZCP 6MT, '05 330xi 6MT,

Quote:
No IT guys allowed here only IT professionals lol kidding

Threads pretty much done. Feel free to ask questions
Ahh okay. I wasn't sure if you were still working on this or not. Did you decide it's not worth the time, or that you had accomplished what you were after?

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet.pilot View Post
I haven't been able to get my hands on a K-TAG yet, and as I'm between jobs at present, am limiting my purchases of new toys.

I did email Heinz Performance about this months back and unfortunately they didn't find my inquiry worth responding to, so that has basically been a good excuse for me to not pursue it, for now. My spare DME is just gathering dust.
How much does a K-TAG run? I suspect there's enough interest on the forum to crowdfund one.

Quote:
Oh, Mikecom32 , here's a thing to check out for embedded fun:
https://community.carloop.io/t/bmw-e.../237/3?u=alanm
That's pretty slick! How'd you figure out what to send? Some type of bus pirate for CAN?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #80
packet.pilot
Banned
Rep

Quote:
How much does a K-TAG run? I suspect there's enough interest on the forum to crowdfund one.

That's pretty slick! How'd you figure out what to send? Some type of bus pirate for CAN?
K-TAG clones are pretty cheap at around $200 iirc. I'd only need it for unlocking afaik and then would be using Infineon Memtool and the DAP miniWiggler to interface with the board via the JTAG headers unsoldered on, or so I hope. I should be able to find one nearby to borrow. I suppose I misread @su_root's offer to lend it out.

To reverse the EVC open/close messages, I used an OTS EVC as well as a saleae logic analyzer and their Logic app.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 06:06 AM   #81
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Hi su, do you still have the ktag report? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #82
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep

Not likely- the note book I originally used for this project has been wiped.

Screen shots are more or less what I have left
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #83
su_root
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_M4 View Post
Hello su_root did you post results on other thread? I could not find it on this forum been searching threw your posts and threads . I bought a M4 will arive in 2 weeks and I will install catless downpipes midpipes and I am going to follow your route on ecu tune my friend , has small ecu tuning company he has same dynodamics dyno that you tested your stock m4 and original kess and k tag slave version and he sends his files to ziptuning.com he does exactly how you did. He tuned my brother f10 m5 and I watching him connecting ecu to ktag read , then he sends file via skype to ziptuning or u can also upload it on their website they send back tune file write to ecu and thats it I was like I can do this too. So anyway I am looking forward to see your result and thank you for posting this thread it really encouraged me to do this my self .

http://www.ziptuning.com/uploads/pri...ernational.pdf ---- This is ziptuning's price list for ecu tunes if you become their dealer
Not looking to profit from the DIY - plus it's against forum rules.

Feel free to ask any questions about the process though!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 03:32 AM   #84
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Anyone have a .XDF definition file for the MEVD17.2G in order to read the ecu map ?
BMW F82 M4 Black MHD CS Map - GTS DKG - Navi -Performance Brake RSL1 Pads - USB - DivX-DVD - Bluetooth - VoiceControl - Connect - Apps - Online - H&K - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - WhiteMerino- PDC - Cam - Adaptive Led - Antitheft - CP Steering- Performance ST - Adaptive CP Setup - GarageDoorOpen - Pipercross - Stock Exhaust - Mdrivers Pack - 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 04:19 AM   #85
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzzz View Post
Anyone have a .XDF definition file for the MEVD17.2G in order to read the ecu map ?
No. That is like the search for the “Holy Grail”, you are hoping something exists for S55 like here... and if someone has it, they will rarely share it!

Let’s say you find it, then what? You want to tune your DME by yourself and flash it back, which you can only do if you have the knowledge and either a similar setup as in this thread or the abilitity to OBD flash...

But if you are just curious and want to learn for fun like I am, you can use WinOLS demo and go hunting the hard way in the S55 calibration/data files.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #86
musseilm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 Mineral Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
No. That is like the search for the “Holy Grail”, you are hoping something exists for S55 like here... and if someone has it, they will rarely share it!

Let’s say you find it, then what? You want to tune your DME by yourself and flash it back, which you can only do if you have the knowledge and either a similar setup as in this thread or the abilitity to OBD flash...

But if you are just curious and want to learn for fun like I am, you can use WinOLS demo and go hunting the hard way in the S55 calibration/data files.
MHD suppose to release them next month.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 10:16 PM   #87
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by musseilm View Post
MHD suppose to release them next month.
Did they?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 10:17 PM   #88
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 MT

Quote:
K-TAG clones are pretty cheap at around $200 iirc. I'd only need it for unlocking afaik and then would be using Infineon Memtool and the DAP miniWiggler to interface with the board via the JTAG headers unsoldered on, or so I hope. I should be able to find one nearby to borrow. I suppose I misread @su_root's offer to lend it out.

To reverse the EVC open/close messages, I used an OTS EVC as well as a saleae logic analyzer and their Logic app.
Quote:

What do you guys make of the OBD-II flashing methods? It's just sending OBD-II commands to initiate a file transfer sequence... right? Can they be reverse engineered with an OBD-II bypass tool (like making pins that match the OBD-II connection, putting an Arduino/Raspberry-Pi in between, and logging what happens) or by reading the writes made to the USB device from the VR Flash tool?
Appreciate 0