ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #133
Gcat333
Rep
Drives: 2003 E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by catpat8000 View Post
I don't think that's odd. BMW USA doesn't want to hire and manage a horde of programmers and engineers to run servers. That's not a competency of theirs so they outsource it. That makes perfect sense.

What I find odd is that given that the only reason they exist at all is to provide a presence for BMW in NA and to sell cars and manage issues surrounding the selling of cars, you'd think they would be better at it than they are. But they suck.

Every time I talk to a dealer, they have less info than I have about what's coming from BMW. I've talked to dealers in California about the F10 M5 (a couple years ago), the F80 M3 and the i3 and in all cases I ended up forwarding material I had found on bimmerpost to the dealer because the dealer had no clue. So BMW clearly doesn't place much value on keeping their dealer network informed.

I have owned two M3s (E90, E46) so you'd think I would be a perfect candidate for them to market the new F80 to, ahead of the launch, but they still don't seem to even acknowledge the existence of the new M3/M4. Nobody from BMW NA has ever contacted me about anything.

When I try to use their configurator, the sw is often broken or down.

Finally, when I contacted them about an issue with my E90 M3, I never heard back from them.

So from all this I conclude that either the incentives placed before them from the BMW AG mothership are misguided (people behave as the incentives dictate) or that every single person in a leadership position in BMW USA is incompetent. Or perhaps both.

Pat

I've had the exact same experience with my local SA. I've emailed him 3 times over the last 9 months. First to get on the "list", then 6 months later I emailed him to confirm that I was on the list and then this week I emailed him and asked him if I could put my deposit down. He hasn't emailed me back about giving his dealership money...acting like I'm some sort of freak. Makes me want to buy a Merc. or Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #134
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
Would you say the new M3 distinguishes itself from an M sport F30 more than an E90 M3 does from an E90 M sport? Obviously it has the carbon roof but the E90 had the large power bulge and hood vents.

At a glance which car looks more different in your opinion? I have not seen the F80 in person so would be interested on your thoughts.
I tried to show some shots here that note the differences, but I'm still working on my photography skills. They were taken with a DSLR, but I could NOT find a good setting for the light in there.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=939217
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #135
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I would say that they not that far apart as for as distinctiveness goes, but for different reasons.

To me, the true tell tale of the E9X M3 is the hood bulge. It's unmistakable. You don't really see the vents unless you're standing over the car, but driving down the road, the hood bulge is unmistakable. And if the hood bulge isn't in view, than the quad exhausts are.

In the F80, the hood bulge is there, but less pronounced. You WILL still notice it, though. But the front bumper is far more aggressive in person than on an F30 MSport. Far more. It WILL draw your attention. And then the fender flares. Holy crap, do they suck you in. Next to an F80, the F30 looks downright weedy. Not only the fender flares, but the rear wheels have a huge amount of dish to them (not rim dish, spoke dish) and man do they look just freaking purposeful.

The F80 M3 has a presence in person that's hard to describe. Those fender flares are decidedly DTM-inspired and when you look at the car you get a very serious "damn" factor.

The E90 doesn't have that same factor for the body as a whole. To me, it doesn't have as much of the raw aggression to the body. But the hood, man, that hood does do a lot for the car. That power dome is there and in your face and you can't help but notice it when you see the car. Kind of like the 2000's
version of a shaker hood. It screams M3, but the rest of the body just whispers it. Whereas the F80's look is more cohesive as a whole.

The F80's rear bumper is more fussy than I'd like, though. The vertical air curtains aren't as polished here as they are in the front. But again, you won't mistake it for an F30.

Thanks for taking the time to write this comprehensive reply. The first time I see the F80 will be when I collect mine in July and after your comments on how the car looks in person I don't think I'll be disappointed!
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #136
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Would you say the new M3 distinguishes itself from an M sport F30 more than an E90 M3 does from an E90 M sport? Obviously it has the carbon roof but the E90 had the large power bulge and hood vents.

At a glance which car looks more different in your opinion? I have not seen the F80 in person so would be interested on your thoughts.
they both look pretty different in person.

I would say the f8x m3 from the back because of the monster fenders, and a tie from the front.

the interior is much more different in the f8x generation than it was in the e9x. a lot of this has to do with the seats, materials and stitching.
      02-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #137
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I tried to show some shots here that note the differences, but I'm still working on my photography skills. They were taken with a DSLR, but I could NOT find a good setting for the light in there.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=939217
Excellent thread and a very well detailed piece of writing ^^^^^^
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #138
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Some cars are auctioned new such as Corvette or Camaro (for charity) at auction houses such as Barrett-Jackson (the 1st production corvette stingray convertible sold at $1.1 million recently). Some will be sold in later years... The point is, if you are the owner of the 1st production model of an important car, its value will be higher than the ones that will follow after. Imagine being the owner of the 1st production E30 M3 for example...
Don't see the point. If you're the first owner of mass-produced vehicle, it means tens of thousands others are out there. Plus there's the likelihood of (undiscovered) problems in the first batches.

No way I would ever pay any cent more for a product that was the first to roll off a highly automated mass product factory line.

Some people have too much money.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #139
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcat333 View Post
I've had the exact same experience with my local SA. I've emailed him 3 times over the last 9 months. First to get on the "list", then 6 months later I emailed him to confirm that I was on the list and then this week I emailed him and asked him if I could put my deposit down. He hasn't emailed me back about giving his dealership money...acting like I'm some sort of freak. Makes me want to buy a Merc. or Porsche.
MB is not any better, pick up the phone and call you SA or find another one.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #140
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
they both look pretty different in person.

I would say the f8x m3 from the back because of the monster fenders, and a tie from the front.

the interior is much more different in the f8x generation than it was in the e9x. a lot of this has to do with the seats, materials and stitching.
Are the fenders much more noticeable than they were on the E90 M3 which also has pronounced fenders when viewed from the rear?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #141
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Are the fenders much more noticeable than they were on the E90 M3 which also has pronounced fenders when viewed from the rear?
substantially. they are more sculpted a la e46 m3, c63 black, or 1m.
      02-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #142
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
I would say that they not that far apart as for as distinctiveness goes, but for different reasons.

To me, the true tell tale of the E9X M3 is the hood bulge. It's unmistakable. You don't really see the vents unless you're standing over the car, but driving down the road, the hood bulge is unmistakable. And if the hood bulge isn't in view, than the quad exhausts are.

In the F80, the hood bulge is there, but less pronounced. You WILL still notice it, though. But the front bumper is far more aggressive in person than on an F30 MSport. Far more. It WILL draw your attention. And then the fender flares. Holy crap, do they suck you in. Next to an F80, the F30 looks downright weedy. Not only the fender flares, but the rear wheels have a huge amount of dish to them (not rim dish, spoke dish) and man do they look just freaking purposeful.

The F80 M3 has a presence in person that's hard to describe. Those fender flares are decidedly DTM-inspired and when you look at the car you get a very serious "damn" factor.

The E90 doesn't have that same factor for the body as a whole. To me, it doesn't have as much of the raw aggression to the body. But the hood, man, that hood does do a lot for the car. That power dome is there and in your face and you can't help but notice it when you see the car. Kind of like the 2000's version of a shaker hood. It screams M3, but the rest of the body just whispers it. Whereas the F80's look is more cohesive as a whole.

The F80's rear bumper is more fussy than I'd like, though. The vertical air curtains aren't as polished here as they are in the front. But again, you won't mistake it for an F30.
That seems to be my impression as well. Also, some things like fender flare and body panel curves don't photograph well unless the photographer is very good. It is easy to flatten the depth of a picture which will wash out details and photgraphing without time to setup lights, exposure, etc is particularly difficult.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #143
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
substantially. they are more sculpted a la e46 m3, c63 black, or 1m.
Yup.

C63 is probably the best comparo, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #144
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernstem View Post
That seems to be my impression as well. Also, some things like fender flare and body panel curves don't photograph well unless the photographer is very good. It is easy to flatten the depth of a picture which will wash out details and photgraphing without time to setup lights, exposure, etc is particularly difficult.
Exactly.

That's what I've been learning starting to study photography. The way you control the light does everything with depth perception. And on something as complex as a car, well, you can really hash it up.

Public car shows with those harsh overhead lights are a nightmare to take pictures at.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #145
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp/24 X3 M40

Quote:

The E90 doesn't have that same factor for the body as a whole. To me, it doesn't have as much of the raw aggression to the body. But the hood, man, that hood does do a lot for the car. That power dome is there and in your face and you can't help but notice it when you see the car. Kind of like the 2000's version of a shaker hood. It screams M3, but the rest of the body just whispers it. Whereas the F80's look is more cohesive as a whole.

Needs is correct. As an E92 M3 coupe owner I can tell you that, in person, the car has a striking appearance that sets it apart from its E92 335 coupe brother. It is a very obvious difference in person, but not so much in photos. In photos that striking appearance is lost and the 335/M3 look pretty much the same. I expect that dynamic to carry over to the 435/M4. One thing I really do not like about the upcoming M3/M4 vs the E92 M3 is the ride height. The F80/82 needs a drop badly. Hopefully that drop will come with the competition package because there is way too much wheel gap in the pre-production cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #146
prestonf30
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

Can't wait for my m3
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #147
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
Needs is correct. As an E92 M3 coupe owner I can tell you that, in person, the car has a striking appearance that sets it apart from its E92 335 coupe brother. It is a very obvious difference in person, but not so much in photos. In photos that striking appearance is lost and the 335/M3 look pretty much the same. I expect that dynamic to carry over to the 435/M4. One thing I really do not like about the upcoming M3/M4 vs the E92 M3 is the ride height. The F80/82 needs a drop badly. Hopefully that drop will come with the competition package because there is way too much wheel gap in the pre-production cars.
As a proud E92 owner I can say that while it does look far more special from all angles than 1 335i, to my eyes it lacks the more muscular stance of the E46 M3 and F80 sedan. Still a great looking car though. I also disagree re ride height of the F8X, these are to be driven not just looked at and any comp pkg will only lower the car by 1cm.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #148
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z435_2010 View Post
Somehow to me the car already looks a bit obsoleted.. Partly because we've had quite some time to get used to the looks, partly because the car's design in some ways is rather conservative.
Not making a statement here, just sharing my reaction to these photos..
Ha, wait till the LCI when they use the v8 turbo engine...........
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #149
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

We need to see more finished cars, especially the Sakhir Orange ones.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #150
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

It doesn't appear the CFRP roof bow is making it into production?

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #151
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

He better be paying attention to what the hell he's doing so he doesn't F up my car !

Are those gloves clean??
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #152
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbark View Post
Tough to make that call with paint on the car already, no?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #153
curehead
Second Lieutenant
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbark

The same applies to the boot lid. If its carbon fibre, it is already painted
      02-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #154
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

The material surface looks, at least on my big screen monitor, to be the same as the other cross members which are obviously not cfrp.
Appreciate 0