Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

05-28-2017, 03:49 AM   #1
Shatterproof
Private
Rep
Drives: Black F80

I know its an M3, but I fitted a towbar!

So, this weekend, decided to fit a towbar. Only going to use it for carrying bikes, so I don't see any problem with it.

Duly purchased a Westfalia detachable towbar for a F30, and started work.

Remove Bumper

Name:  DSC_1717-1.jpg
Views: 8746
Size:  281.0 KB

Remove original crashbar and heatshield, and test fit towbar - yay!! it fits

Name:  DSC_1719-1.jpg
Views: 6526
Size:  255.2 KB

Modify the original heat-shield, fit in place then refit tow-bar. The edges of the heat-shield were bent back to keep strength, and managed to retain the lower screw holes for the bumper.

Name:  DSC_1725-1.jpg
Views: 7240
Size:  258.4 KB

Refit the bumper, and voila!

Name:  DSC_1726-1.jpg
Views: 11036
Size:  248.2 KB

Didn't need to trim the stock diffuser, and made some minor trimming of the support mesh behind the diffuser. Overall very happy with the results. When the tow-bar is removed, it's invisible. It can also be returned to stock, and no one would know.

Next challenge will be the electrics. I've got some ideas for how to fit them. I think it will be possible to make the plug invisible as well when detached, but will need some work on that. However, the electrics are not vital, just a "would be nice"

Must say big thanks to my mate M3ankeen, and a fab BBQ afterwards to boot!!

Last edited by Shatterproof; 05-29-2017 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 3
      05-28-2017, 06:19 AM   #2
erictrainer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 6MT MG on SO

Awesome! Great post... Where did you buy the tow bar?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 07:32 AM   #3
Shatterproof
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictrainer View Post
Awesome! Great post... Where did you buy the tow bar?
Part no for the towbar is 303352
It's a Westfalia - easy to find with google
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
RalphyBMW
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xDrive MSport

Nice work!
If I get an M3 then I plan on this too, delighted that it fits without needing to alter the bumper
      05-29-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4 ZCP

Wow, I don't need a tow bar but nice job
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Agreed, well done.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Exactly what I had on my E91 Sport Wagon here in Houston - purchased whole setup from the UK (expensive but was totally worth it to me) - also had the Westfalia bike carrier with linked reverse/indicator/brake lights - awesome setup and really miss it actually. Had looked at doing this back in 2014 after I ordered my car but the clearances I was told would not work - this is a great update and now you have me thinking again - just love the hidden hitch design as it is 100% not visible when not on use, also great quality product. Thx for sharing!
      05-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #8
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

nice, cant find the part on google tho
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 06:34 PM   #9
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

OP,

The PF Jones site (where I ordered my kit for the E91) has this option - is this the exact same model you used - it is listed here as 303352 (extra digit an update or PFJ code?). It states quite specifically as I recall that M3's are excluded and in fact back in '14 the salesperson at PFJ would not sell me the kit when i told hime I was going to retrofit to my M4!! I can easily get around that but would need to be very certain of fitment before shipping from UK. Trying to think if the M3 rear is specifically different than the M4?

I also highlighted the electrical kit - you'd think that the hook up might not be very different form F30 to F8X but would be a bit of a gamble I guess - may also hold off on that!

Can you re-confirm that this is the kit you used - thx?

Link to page:
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/bmw-3-seri...le-towbar.html

and items:
Attached Images

05-29-2017, 06:38 PM   #10
Shatterproof
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
OP,

The PF Jones site (where I ordered my kit for the E91) has this option - is this the exact same model you used - it is listed here as 303352 (extra digit an update or PFJ code?). It states quite specifically as I recall that M3's are excluded and in fact back in '14 the salesperson at PFJ would not sell me the kit when i told hime I was going to retrofit to my M4!! I can easily get around that but would need to be very certain of fitment before shipping from UK. Trying to think if the M3 rear is specifically different than the M4?

I also highlighted the electrical kit - you'd think that the hook up might not be very different form F30 to F8X but would be a bit of a gamble I guess - may also hold off on that!

Link to page:

and items:
Yeah, that's the part I ordered (got mine from PF Jones too)

Regarding the electrics, I've checked the instructions, and compared my car to them - looks the same as an F30. The only thing is, the 13 pin socket is going to be quite close to the exhaust, so I plan to make a mount using carbon fibre, which will protect the socket
Appreciate 1
ciaranob747.50
      05-29-2017, 06:44 PM   #11
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterproof View Post

Regarding the electrics, I've checked the instructions, and compared my car to them - looks the same as an F30. The only thing is, the 13 pin socket is going to be quite close to the exhaust, so I plan to make a mount using carbon fibre, which will protect the socket
Excellent - thx again for the info - I also had a custom bracket for the E91 that actually allowed the socket to flip back up on a hinge under the car when not in use - was really slick !

Last edited by ciaranob; 05-29-2017 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 06:47 PM   #12
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Also, waiting for the clueless idiot to chime in about how it's an M, you shouldn't tow anything with it, get a truck if you want to two something, forgetting that the M is the quintessential do everything car, in which you tow a small trailer to the racetrack with your track wheels and tires on it.
      05-29-2017, 06:48 PM   #13
Shatterproof
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Also, waiting for the clueless idiot to chime in about how it's an M, you shouldn't tow anything with it, get a truck if you want to two something, forgetting that the M is the quintessential do everything car, in which you tow a small trailer to the racetrack with your track wheels and tires on it.
Lol!! I'm quite surprised I haven't been chastised yet!!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #14
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Oh and one other issue to take care of will be the reverse sensors - I had a local shop at the time help with that and they managed to get the sensors to auto shut off when the carrier was installed and come back on when uninstalled as I guess the BMW F30 specific electrical unit should do by default but we had some issues with it here (can't recall exactly what they were - too long ago!).

PS: I meant to say that w/o the electrics installed your bike will have the sensors on constantly!

Quote:

05-30-2017, 04:14 AM   #15
Shatterproof
Private
Rep

Quote:
OP,

Link to page:

and items:
You might want to hold off ordering for a few days - I'm gonna test a different manufacturers tow-bar to see if it fits without having to mess with the electrics mount. On the Westfalia, the electrics mount is such that when the connector is swung up, it's quite close to the pipes.

The other tow-bar I will test has the mount closer to the centre, so there is more clearance.

- will update and let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 2
rjwojcik281.50
ciaranob747.50
      05-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #16
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Most appreciated - very interested to see where you land - in respect the location on the Westfalia I guess I would end up cutting the OEM mount away and welding a new mount location but clearly if the Witter or other manufacturer's kit will do the job then indeed a likely better way to go. Thx again!

Quote:
You might want to hold off ordering for a few days - I'm gonna test a different manufacturers tow-bar to see if it fits without having to mess with the electrics mount. On the Westfalia, the electrics mount is such that when the connector is swung up, it's quite close to the pipes.

The other tow-bar I will test has the mount closer to the centre, so there is more clearance.

05-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #17
Mike991M4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

my buddy has an E90 convertible that he tows a small teardrop camper with.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:26 PM   #18
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep

Cool cam view option to code

Knew there was something else I wanted to share on the tow bar setup!

Had my car re-coded by ShawnSheridan after the dealership overwrote some stuff on last visit but in the process learned about an entirely new feature of the backup cam that is by default off on the F8X platform.

It is a dedicated towing cam view! Basically the camera is switched (selectable in iDrive) to look directly down at the tow hook if your vehicle has one. Actually pretty useful for final parking position when reverse parked too irrespective of a tow option!!

Was coded on in my car by Shawn and sure it is out there in the coding section. If I get a chance I'll repost with a pic of this alternate cam view.

Cheers, C.

Quote:

05-31-2017, 02:26 AM   #19
Shatterproof
Private
Rep

Quote:
Knew there was something else I wanted to share on the tow bar setup!

Had my car re-coded by ShawnSheridan after the dealership overwrote some stuff on last visit but in the process learned about an entirely new feature of the backup cam that is by default off on the F8X platform.

It is a dedicated towing cam view! Basically the camera is switched (selectable in iDrive) to look directly down at the tow hook if your vehicle has one. Actually pretty useful for final parking position when reverse parked too irrespective of a tow option!!

Was coded on in my car by Shawn and sure it is out there in the coding section. If I get a chance I'll repost with a pic of this alternate cam view.

Cheers, C.

Quote:

Good to know about the coding options. According to the Instructions, you just manually disable the PDC sensor with the button when it goes off. Personally, I'm not too worried about it, but would be nice to have the PDC buzzer automatically be disabled, so will have to sit down and learn how to code!

The alternate camera view sounds like a nice feature though. I can currently see the towbar in the camera, but would be nice to zoom in a little. Against, not a must-have, but worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 12:34 PM   #20
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

That will be perfect for your Caravan , what's the towing weight of the M3?
      05-31-2017, 04:40 PM   #21
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

And the point of your post is what? He's already said it's for his bike. I'd probably do the same except given I have coilovers, I haven't got a hope in hell of getting anywhere near where the car park from where I cycle each week. Otherwise I'd do it like a shot - would save having to take the bloody Disco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
That will be perfect for your Caravan , what's the towing weight of the M3?
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 04:58 PM   #22
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
And the point of your post is what? He's already said it's for his bike. I'd probably do the same except given I have coilovers, I haven't got a hope in hell of getting anywhere near where the car park from where I cycle each week. Otherwise I'd do it like a shot - would save having to take the bloody Disco.
it's called banter in Scotland , the op had said along with others that surprised nobody had made coments about towbar on M3