EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

02-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #23
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
Can you describe the scenario that you would need to do that? Is that a frequent occurrence?

When absolutely needed, it can be done by a tech, if needed. But that requires the tech to get underneath the car to disengage the parking pawl.
When the engine quits for whatever reason and you need to have the car towed...

e.g http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1339927
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2017, 05:39 PM   #24
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 Sakhir/Amaro Brown

Customer prefers the ease of an automatic but the enthusiast feel of a manual -> BMW develops the best of both worlds -> Customer complains BMW transmission isn't like the ones they had back in their day ->Manual drivers like myself =

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #25
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
When the engine quits for whatever reason and you need to have the car towed...

e.g http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1339927
Oh, that! It happens like once in a blue moon

Like I said in that thread, even in that rare occasion when cooler is pierced, one can still switch to N before shutting the engine off, then wait for the tow. No problem there.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #26
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh, that! It happens like once in a blue moon

Like I said in that thread, even in that rare occasion when cooler is pierced, one can still switch to N before shutting the engine off, then wait for the tow. No problem there.
Well you asked for an example, that it a prime one. What if the engine will not turn over?

Admittedly, I do not know 100% but aren't people saying in this thread that the transmission will go into park when you shut the engine off, no?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 06:57 PM   #27
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep

Quote:
Well you asked for an example, that it a prime one. What if the engine will not turn over?

Admittedly, I do not know 100% but aren't people saying in this thread that the transmission will go into park when you shut the engine off, no?
No, it won't go into park if you shift to neutral first.

Get to know your DCT, and don't be overly paranoid about what could go wrong, especially when the odd is so small. We should not ask for things to be at our fingertip when we don't really have an immediate need for it.

M3 is a beautiful car to enjoy. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #28
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, it won't go into park if you shift to neutral first.

Get to know your DCT, and don't be overly paranoid about what could go wrong, especially when the odd is so small. We should not ask for things to be at our fingertip when we don't really have an immediate need for it.

M3 is a beautiful car to enjoy. Cheers!
Lol. I have a 6MT so no issues for me.

The main reason I am chiming in on this thread is to try and understand the DCT. When I did my test drive at one of the ultimate driving events they put me in a DCT. I was thoroughly confused as to its operation which further solidified my choice to go with the 6MT.

I guess my main point in all of this is that you have to learn the transmission in order to use it; which seems silly. Since automated transmissions have been around for a long time their operation is well understood by most drivers. (Yes, I know, the DCT is a manual but it is automated and presents more as an automatic than a true manual transmission to the user.) Where is the need to change the user interface from the normal auto controls? Especially when the changes result in confusion as to how best to operate the vehicle and can result in the transmission not engaging park. A simple Park button seems like a straightforward addition.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #29
CanAutM3
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [4.29]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Lol. I have a 6MT so no issues for me.

The main reason I am chiming in on this thread is to try and understand the DCT. When I did my test drive at one of the ultimate driving events they put me in a DCT. I was thoroughly confused as to its operation which further solidified my choice to go with the 6MT.

I guess my main point in all of this is that you have to learn the transmission in order to use it; which seems silly. Since automated transmissions have been around for a long time their operation is well understood by most drivers. (Yes, I know, the DCT is a manual but it is automated and presents more as an automatic than a true manual transmission to the user.) Where is the need to change the user interface from the normal auto controls? Especially when the changes result in confusion as to how best to operate the vehicle and can result in the transmission not engaging park. A simple Park button seems like a straightforward addition.
Again, why add another button when none is needed ?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 12:32 AM   #30
evilgabbie
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

LOL Seatbelt !! Thanks CanAutM3 !
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 08:58 PM   #31
1uscalumni
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4

if you shut the car off in gear do you have to pull the hand brake? can the car pop out of gear and roll?
      02-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #32
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY2017 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uscalumni View Post
if you shut the car off in gear do you have to pull the hand brake? can the car pop out of gear and roll?
The likely hood of a DCT popping out of park is rare, I believe the DCT uses a pin to secure the Park mode (someone who knows more can chime in here) whatever mechanism is used to Park being mechanical has the possibility to fail.

Using the hand brake is just good practice. All my previous cars have been manual and just out of habit I still pull the hand brake on my DCT before shutting down the car.

Last edited by 2kaccordocoupe; 02-17-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #33
ptper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 MG/SO F80

Can i get a ruling here, if I want to get out of the car with my engine running, just pull up on the brake in 'N' or 'D' and it is secure from rolling? I've done this a number of times, but I always look back to check on the car, lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #34
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptper View Post
Can i get a ruling here, if I want to get out of the car with my engine running, just pull up on the brake in 'N' or 'D' and it is secure from rolling? I've done this a number of times, but I always look back to check on the car, lol.
I would not leave it in D that's for sure. Put it in N and pull the hand brake. I say not to leave it in D because if you get back into the car and even tap the gas by mistake the car is going to lurch.

Last edited by 2kaccordocoupe; 02-17-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #35
1uscalumni
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
The likely hood of a DCT popping out of park is rare, I believe the DCT uses a pin to secure the Park mode (someone who knows more can chime in here) whatever mechanism is used to Park being mechanical has the possibility to fail.

Using the hand brake is just good practice. All my previous cars have been manual and just out of habit I still pull the hand brake on my DCT before shutting down the car.
Thank you. Trying to learn the DCT. It's my first BMW.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #36
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Np, have you owned or driven a manual transmission car before? If so alot of the same practices and principles apply to the DCT. It's more akin to a manual as opposed to a traditional torque converter automatic transmission.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #37
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep

Quote:
You won't be able to leave it in D. The gear box will automatically pop from D to N, the second you open the door.

Suggest you always pull the band break, engine running or not. It is just a good habit.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #38
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You won't be able to leave it in D. The gear box will automatically pop from D to N, the second you open the door.

Suggest you always pull the band break, engine running or not. It is just a good habit.
I didn't know about it automatically going into N - Thanks for that. It's a use case I have never tried as I have always put the car into N if getting out while keeping it running. I guess it goes back to my previous manual experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 02:50 PM   #39
itrocks4u
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 435ix F36 ('11 328ix E90)

Can someone please help me lol

What do I do to make sure car is Parked when I go to check mail? I don't want it to start rolling when I exit the car. Been stressed about it all this time. Even read the manual and still not sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #40
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post

What do I do to make sure car is Parked when I go to check mail? I don't want it to start rolling when I exit the car. Been stressed about it all this time. Even read the manual and still not sure.
LOL - keeping the car running the whole time right? Pull up to mailbox, pull hand brake, put car in N, get out to check mail.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #41
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post

Just pull the hand break, which is also called parking break, for that reason. You'll get an indicator light in the cluster as well.

If the slope is too severe, then shut the engine off to put the gear into P, in addition to the hand break.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:30 PM   #42
SD ///M4
Blue (and Orange) Bimmers Rule!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M4 Coupe | 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Just pull the hand break, which is also called parking break, for that reason. You'll get an indicator light in the cluster as well.

If the slope is too severe, then shut the engine off to put the gear into P, in addition to the hand break.

I really have to laugh when someone posts a image with directions on using the parking BRAKE with "parking BRAKE" mentioned twice, yet misspells the word THREE TIMES in their post.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:42 PM   #43
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
I really have to laugh when someone posts a image with directions on using the parking BRAKE with "parking BRAKE" mentioned twice, yet misspells the word THREE TIMES in their post.
Sorry about the spelling. Did you not get what I said?

I guess your second language is better than mine.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 11:10 PM   #44
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
I really have to laugh when someone posts a image with directions on using the parking BRAKE with "parking]BRAKE" mentioned twice, yet misspells the word THREE TIMES in their post.
Since we are on the language subject, shouldn't it be "...someone posts ...... in his post" to be grammatically correct?

But on second thought, I'll give you a break. Or should I have said, "I'll give you a brake"?

Last edited by backagain; 02-17-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Appreciate 0