EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-28-2017, 10:26 PM   #1
hanafimahmoud
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Convertible

ConnectedDrive & Maps update

Hi,

I'm bringing over my car from the Middle East for one year. I would like to know if there is an easy way to

1- update the car maps with US maps, also can I revert back after one year to Middle East?!

2- can I enable connectedDrive? This is helpful only when searching online maps (Google)

Car is 2016 M4 with ID4.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4 ZCP

Probably cheaper to buy a Tom Tom or Garmin with free lifetime updates since it is only 1 year. However, I'm sure BMW would be happy to charge you over $100 for US maps then another $100 to change it back.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I'm dealing with this right now as my car (US spec) was purchased in the Netherlands and driven in EU for over a year. They loaded the EU SW (connected drive) and EU maps over there. Now I'm getting it back to US config.

You can load US maps here as-is but make sure you purchase it with an FSC code, which you put in at load time.

I purchased maps that did not come with an FSC code but until my SW is updated on Friday I can't load them (newer EVO idrive).

As far as connected drive you have to have your car in the "US system". A dealer had to do this for me (a "BMW Genius" at the dealer). Once your car is in the US dealer system then the service dept has to pull your imei number physically from the car and then that dealer's Genius can submit an ESA (elect service agreement) requesting your connected drive account.

If it's a non-US spec car...best of luck..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 10:13 PM   #4
hanafimahmoud
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankles View Post
I'm dealing with this right now as my car (US spec) was purchased in the Netherlands and driven in EU for over a year. They loaded the EU SW (connected drive) and EU maps over there. Now I'm getting it back to US config.

You can load US maps here as-is but make sure you purchase it with an FSC code, which you put in at load time.

I purchased maps that did not come with an FSC code but until my SW is updated on Friday I can't load them (newer EVO idrive).

As far as connected drive you have to have your car in the "US system". A dealer had to do this for me (a "BMW Genius" at the dealer). Once your car is in the US dealer system then the service dept has to pull your imei number physically from the car and then that dealer's Genius can submit an ESA (elect service agreement) requesting your connected drive account.

Mine is a non US specs. But I called BMW here and for 150 USD they will change whatever is needed to get it connected. I have active subscription back home so all is needed to to the update the code. Should be simple and straight forward.

Hopefully it's as simple as this. It should be really, it's 2017. And these kinda of services should be available globally as cars can be exported/imported. Of course a fee here and there will have to be paid but that is fine.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      09-14-2017, 09:40 PM   #5
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanafimahmoud View Post
Quote:

Mine is a non US specs. But I called BMW here and for 150 USD they will change whatever is needed to get it connected. I have active subscription back home so all is needed to to the update the code. Should be simple and straight forward.

Hopefully it's as simple as this. It should be really, it's 2017. And these kinda of services should be available globally as cars can be exported/imported. Of course a fee here and there will have to be paid but that is fine.
Cool, hope it works seamlessly
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2017, 06:47 AM   #6
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 / '06 S2K

Quote:

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread a bit, but I'll be the opposite of you... I'm getting a US spec car here in the UK with US maps loaded. I will be moving back to the States in less than a year, so I opted for the US maps when I put in my build.

What options do I have if I want to get EU maps for the time being? Or is it still just better to use a phone with Google Maps, dedicated Garmin, etc.?

2018 F80 / 2006 S2K / 2005 WRX / 1990 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #7
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stooker View Post
Quote:

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread a bit, but I'll be the opposite of you... I'm getting a US spec car here in the UK with US maps loaded. I will be moving back to the States in less than a year, so I opted for the US maps when I put in my build.

What options do I have if I want to get EU maps for the time being? Or is it still just better to use a phone with Google Maps, dedicated Garmin, etc.?
Mine was a US spec also delivered with US maps, but the dealer in NL did the Euro SW retrofit since it was going to be driven there. My timeline wasn't so solid, that's why I went w EU maps originally.

If I were you I'd buy a Kuda mount and attach the scosche phone flush magnet mount and just use Waze, etc until you take it back to US. I still use mine even in the US..love Waze.
Appreciate 1
stooker2752.50