ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
ixsaves13
M3 YAS, DCT, Exec, full Merino, lighting, HK, AS
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 - On Order

Upgrading M3 HK System with aftermarket setup

With hours of research I've come to the conclusion that there is still no clear answer. I am planning on keeping the stock radio and would like to upgrade the amps and speakers. The main question is with the HK upgraded system, what piece do I need to utilize aftermarket amps / speakers? I've heard that it is possible to code the car to output analog out and also the heard of pieces like the moBridge, Audison most adapter, etc... Which one works and what do I sacrifice?

Plans...

Front stage:
Dynaudio MD102 tweeters
Dynaudio MD430 mids
Jehnhart mid bass under seat

Dynaudio rear deck IB subs

Processor - helix / Audison / mosconi
Amps for 7 channels : tweeters, mids, mid bass, rear deck subs

Help with this would greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Eugene
2008 Evo X (sold)
2006 Evo IX (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

If you have the HK, I would do it step by step. Speakers other than the subs first. Pause and listen. It might be all you need for good sound if you do a targeted (measured) EQ adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
ixsaves13
United_States
Rep

But to be able to eq / time align the speakers wouldn't that require a DSP? And to include that piece, it requires that MOST piece.
2008 Evo X (sold)
2006 Evo IX (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixsaves13 View Post
With hours of research I've come to the conclusion that there is still no clear answer. I am planning on keeping the stock radio and would like to upgrade the amps and speakers. The main question is with the HK upgraded system, what piece do I need to utilize aftermarket amps / speakers? I've heard that it is possible to code the car to output analog out and also the heard of pieces like the moBridge, Audison most adapter, etc... Which one works and what do I sacrifice?
Check out this F82 with HK install by VP Electricity (musicar Northwest):

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1064590

In fact, since you are in Portland, I would recommend you go there to get your system installed. They have massive amts of knowledge and experience with all BMWs, especially F3x/F8x.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #5
ixsaves13
United_States
Rep

I wish I could. I'm actually in Orange County, CA. I've attempted to call them and get in touch with Ken for over 2 weeks. Thanks for the thread. I've read about that install from their website.
2008 Evo X (sold)
2006 Evo IX (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 06:06 PM   #6
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixsaves13 View Post
I wish I could. I'm actually in Orange County, CA. I've attempted to call them and get in touch with Ken for over 2 weeks. Thanks for the thread. I've read about that install from their website.
They are super busy and hard to get in touch with by phone. However, when I email them, Ken usually emails me back late that evening with extremely detailed responses.

I bought a full upgraded system w/ corner trunk sub for my HiFi system from Ken. Should get here this week and I'm having a local installer do the install.

Well, at least you know the Mobridge DA converter to Mosconi DSP will work w/ your HK system.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #7
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Did you order your F80 yet? If not, given the audio upgrade you've planned, I'd definitely NOT order the HK system. But, if you already have your car...

With the HK system, the essential piece you need for a full upgrade like yours is the mobridge DAC. The HK system uses the MOST bus, which is a digital standard protocol used in some cars (kind of like ethernet for home). The signal from your radio goes via the MOST bus to the factory amp/dsp. You cannot just tap that signal, as it needs continuity for other parts on the 'bus' to work (nav, iDrive, sensors, etc). The way you tap that signal is using the Mobridge. It is the only way to do it as far as I know, to get the signal BEFORE the amp, and thus unprocessed. Since the processing of the signal is done by the amp, you get a flat, non-EQ'd signal which is ideal for aftermarket upgrades. After that, it's just like any other aftermarket system. The mobridge will give you low level, analog RCA outs which you can feed to a DSP, then to your amps.

As a side note, there is no need to code the car to HiFi. That is an E90 issue. I won't spend a paragraph to explain it, but the HK system is converted to analog by the mobridge, and the non-HK (HiFi) system is already analog.

There are many DSP's on the market, but the Mosconi and the Helix seem to be the popular ones right now. I've used both, and both are great. I'd say the Mosconi is a little more temperamental, but gives you a tiny bit more control, and convenience due to the ability to tune over BT.

I have almost the exact same system; shoot me a PM for details.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 02:43 AM   #8
Kimeran
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Hi guys.

I don't want to start a new thread, since this is already up my alley.

Firstly and most importantly, I am from South Africa, so I don't have as much resources as you guys for equipment.

I enjoy the clarity from my HK system, but I want more low end bass. So I am looking at adding a 10" sub with its own amp to the mix.

What would be needed in order to do this?
I am assuming the radio would have to be removed in order to get to the wires?
I don't want to complicate anything by running the standard HK speakers through an aftermarket amp. Is that fine?

Thanks a mill
Kimeran
Appreciate 0