GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

02-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #89
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Don't bet on it. I had this in my E9x and the side bolsters--the most maintenance intensive area--are actually friggin leather. Not even sensatec or anything. Just leather.

Hope this isn't the case on F8x but as I squint at photos, it disappointingly appears to be the same.
Oh man, good call. I am not extremely rough on the bolsters in my car, but I would bet they are a bit more aggressive on the new seats. Well shit........I guess I will need to grab a leather conditioner kit after all. If that is my biggest worry, I will be a happy customer!
      02-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #90
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
i really wish BMW would bring alcantara seats to the US market.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #91
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishhead24 View Post
Oh man, good call. I am not extremely rough on the bolsters in my car, but I would bet they are a bit more aggressive on the new seats. Well shit........I guess I will need to grab a leather conditioner kit after all. If that is my biggest worry, I will be a happy customer!
I know! Annoying! Still a great combination either way.. but certainly we can't pick it for maintenance reasons. If that were the case I'd say go with leather to carry only one set of interior detailing products. With the cloth I'd recommend buying some 3M scotchguard and hitting it with that and keeping fabric cleaner on hand.
      02-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #92
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
They've done it in the past, but it had that funky jetliner pattern.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:04 PM   #93
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Don't bet on it. I had this in my E9x and the side bolsters--the most maintenance intensive area--are actually friggin leather. Not even sensatec or anything. Just leather.

Hope this isn't the case on F8x but as I squint at photos, it disappointingly appears to be the same.
It will have much less of a maintenance requirement because the seat-backs and the lower seating services will be the Speed Cloth.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #94
olmy
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 330Ci ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
Amen! My 10-year-old ZHP has that option and the seats still look like new.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #95
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

The design of the F3x alcantara seats (fabric/texture) on the actual F8x seat would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #96
jlh335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f80 ymb

I think alcantara and carbon seat backs would be
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #97
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It will have much less of a maintenance requirement because the seat-backs and the lower seating services will be the Speed Cloth.
What? No. Because you still need to take out all of your leather conditioning and cleaning supplies. PLUS your cloth supplies. All of that together is significantly more work than just using one set. Not to mention, the area that *always* needs the most attention is the outside bolster set, which is leather of all things. So no, as someone who probably never owned speed cloth, you're quite inaccurate stating "much less maintenance".
      02-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #98
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
What? No. Because you still need to take out all of your leather conditioning and cleaning supplies. PLUS your cloth supplies. All of that together is significantly more work than just using one set. Not to mention, the area that *always* needs the most attention is the outside bolster set, which is leather of all things. So no, as someone who probably never owned speed cloth, you're quite inaccurate stating "much less maintenance".
Having owned an ///M3 with Speed Cloth in the past (..don't assume so much!), I stand by my response. My bolsters weren't the areas that 'always' needed attention because I enter/exit my vehicle in a particular way (..mkoesel and I have discussed this in other threads) that doesn't cause any wear on my upper or lower bolsters; the seat surface itself is/was the area that needed the most attention on my leather seats (..i.e...the most cleaning). With SC it was simply vacuum and move on.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 02-19-2014 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #99
bmwluvr24
United_States
Rep

As long as they are good looking and comfortable, I really don't care about the maintenance. It just means more cleaning kits, but I think it is going to look GREAT!!! I can tell you that the pic of the speed cloth seats sold me! Team CSAT for sure!
      02-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #100
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I think it looks great too. I just wish I could order HUD and comfort access without being forced to buy leather.

Whoa, is this a real legit picture?

Is that (CS) or (CSAT)? per the ordering guide?
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #101
bmwluvr24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post

I do not know which one they are, but those are the new speed cloth seats for sure. That pic gets me all happy and stuff!
      02-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #102
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:

It would be the same. CS for the material, and AT is the color (..anthracite).

Alpine F31,

You can have HUD and CA without ordering leather. Just order the ZEC package.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 02-19-2014 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #103
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:

I got the picture from the German configurator. I don't know if it's CS or CSAT but I do know it looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #104
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
It would be CSAT.

Alpine F31,

You can have HUD and CA without ordering leather. Just order the ZEC package.
Yes. I will check that box!
It was different on the military guide.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #105
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Having owned an ///M3 with Speed Cloth in the past (..don't assume so much!), I stand by my response. My bolsters weren't the areas that 'always' needed attention because I enter/exit my vehicle in a particular way (..mkoesel and I have discussed this in other threads) that doesn't cause any wear on my upper or lower bolsters; the seat surface itself is/was the area that needed the most attention on my leather seats (..i.e...the most cleaning). With SC it was simply vacuum and move on.
I am addressing the fact that speed cloth, contrary to what you're saying, is not "less" maintenance than full leather. You must have never owned a high mileage BMW. The leather does NOT hold up if you don't condition it. Heck you don't need to own one. Just browse your local classifieds.

Besides, the whole point of speed cloth is for grip, since in no way is leather a sporty option at all. It's absolutely pointless to combine materials like that and force you to condition your leather and clean the cloth separately.

Again further to my point, if you live anywhere other than warm coastal climates, you will need to separately condition your leather bolsters. Your friends WILL rub against them coming in and out of the car. Do you lecture them before they get in? Or is it easier to just condition it and move on?

The initial point I addressed, and appear to have to highlight again for you, was about maintenance. I am entirely correct in pointing out that you save yourself absolutely no maintenance by going with speed cloth and instead have to do exactly the same routine as if it were leather with the additional task of having to clean the cloth separately. To suggest otherwise is completely pointless and you're doing a disservice to the maintenance of the leather components--which by BMW's own recommendations requires maintenance. Good luck after 40,000mi with just vacuuming.

Last edited by mkoesel; 02-19-2014 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #106
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
Quote:
I am addressing the fact that speed cloth, contrary to what you're saying, is not "less" maintenance than full leather. You must have never owned a high mileage BMW. The leather does NOT hold up if you don't condition it. Heck you don't need to own one. Just browse your local classifieds.

Besides, the whole point of speed cloth is for grip, since in no way is leather a sporty option at all. It's absolutely pointless to combine materials like that and force you to condition your leather and clean the cloth separately.

Again further to my point, if you live anywhere other than warm coastal climates, you will need to separately condition your leather bolsters. Your friends WILL rub against them coming in and out of the car. Do you lecture them before they get in? Or is it easier to just condition it and move on?

The initial point I addressed, and appear to have to highlight again for you, was about maintenance. I am entirely correct in pointing out that you save yourself absolutely no maintenance by going with speed cloth and instead have to do exactly the same routine as if it were leather with the additional task of having to clean the cloth separately. To suggest otherwise is completely pointless and you're doing a disservice to the maintenance of the leather components--which by BMW's own recommendations requires maintenance. Good luck after 40,000mi with just vacuuming.
Rather than address every minute point (...because it's obvious that my experience differs from yours, and Speed Cloth was SIGNIFICANTLY less maintenance for ME) and respond to more assumptions on your part, I'll just say this....

.....I've owned many, many BMW's, and aside from my 5 month stint in a '13 X5, every one of them has met or exceeded the 50,000 mile mark. ALL of them had seats that looked damn near brand new. Your mileage may vary. You're definitely blowing the Speed Cloth maintenance way out of proportion. We're not talking alcantara here, and even that material can be preserved with a little bit of extra care (..not to be confused with 'maintenance' in the context that we are speaking about here).

P.S. YES, I coach people on how to enter/exit my car (..especially women with their stupid jeans with stupid rivets and stupid jeweled back pockets). Maybe you should start. It might save you leather maintenance woes.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 08:24 AM   #107
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

WOw at some of the replies on maintenance...hahaha
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #108
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play
WOw at some of the replies on maintenance...hahaha
Yeah, I laughed too. It's like saying that a bald head requires more maintenance than a full head of hair.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #109
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I think it looks great too. I just wish I could order HUD and comfort access without being forced to buy leather.
BMW's knows they wouldn't be able to get you to buy the $4,500 package if they did that. It's just BMW crap with the keyless entry. You can get it in many $25,000 car now but it only comes in a big package with the //M cars.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #110
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Actually, his comment wasn't really about the options only being available in the package (which is a bummer, I agree), but instead he was talking about the package excluding the possibility of the cloth interior.

However, the comment was made before we got the official order guide. As it turns out you can, in fact, get the ZEC package without being forced into the leather interior (which is a change from the E9x M3). So that's nice for some folks.

Unfortunately, there are two negatives. One is, you don't get the package any cheaper than if you selected a leather interior instead. So you are essentially paying for extended leather while taking cloth. And, two, you lose the heated rear seats (apparently not compatible with the cloth for some reason) and again do not get a discount on the package because of it. So essentially you are paying $4500 (or whatever the package price is) for a handful of options that should cost more like $3000 or whatever. So it's the package deal that forgot the package pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
BMW's knows they wouldn't be able to get you to buy the $4,500 package if they did that. It's just BMW crap with the keyless entry. You can get it in many $25,000 car now but it only comes in a big package with the //M cars.

Appreciate 0