GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #111
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Well, just for the same of argument, let's game that one out ...

Two 24 year-olds, both went to college, both doing well and make $150k/yr:

(1.) Saddled-down Eddy.
* parents are middle class for reals (< 70k/yr in total household income, probably more like $45k/yr income) and have zero savings
* parents didn't pay for his college, Eddy still has $80k in undergrad debt
* Eddy grew up and lives near NYC
* Sister still in HS who needs stuff
* Probably getting married soon, his fiancé would like to start a family

Eddy's got to worry about paying off his $80k in undergrad loans, saving for his grad school, marriage, kids, retirement, helping out his parents retirement, and maybe helping out his sister. With all of that, no way Eddy can afford a car, so he lives in a major metro with roommates and uses Uber.

(2.) Free wheeling Jake.
* Parents are upper-middle class (>250k/yr in total household income)
* Parents paid for his college, and have some money set aside for grad school if he wants it and/or his marriage
* Parents made some good investments, are set for retirement, Jake will likely get a house and a decent inheritance
* Jake grew up and lives in the south
* Jake's the youngest and his brother is a neurosurgeon
* Jake doesn't remember the name of the hottie her was bangin last night - marriage is pretty far down the road and, if he has kids, he doesn't know about it

Jake doesn't have to worry about school debt or saving for grad school, marriage, kids, or retirement. Jake saves, but also spends a lot of his income, so Jake bought a townhouse and drives an M3 and still has plenty of pocket money. Jake's parents bought him a lot of great stuff in college so it was pretty easy for him to furnish his townhouse.

Analysis. Unless one is the rarest of rare, your parents/family's financial situation can make $150k/yr look like poverty or a fortune - not to mention where you live and what your housing costs are. From Eddy's perspective, Jake's livin on Daddy's money even though Jake bought the car.

Anyway, whichever of those two is closer to you, I wouldn't get mad about the Daddy's money comment ... you were probably born and live in America so you're pretty fucking lucky just right there. Pretend they mean Daddy is Uncle Sam. You dad is probably one of your uncles anyway so ....
You're that guy who wrote "How to Win Friends and Influence People" right?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #112
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ul View Post
Great Scott! You put a lot of thought into this. :P
Over the years .... yes. Yes I have.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #113
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328xi, '16 F82 (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott
Quote:
Great Scott! You put a lot of thought into this. :P
Over the years .... yes. Yes I have.
So this begs the question, which one are you?
      04-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #114
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott
Quote:
How much HP is that?

Dude, that exhaust is fucking loud!

*being 24* Daddy's money gets you very far. *this one pisses me off*
Well, just for the sake of argument, let's game this out ...

(1.) Saddled-down Eddy.
* parents are middle class for reals (< 70k/yr in total household income, probably more like $45k/yr income) and have zero savings

Eddy's got to worry about paying off his $80k in undergrad loans, saving for his grad school, marriage, kids, retirement, helping out his parents retirement, and maybe helping out his sister. With all of that, no way Eddy can afford a car, so he lives in a major metro with roommates and uses Uber.

(2.) Free wheeling Jake.
* Parents paid for his college, and have some money set aside for grad school if he wants it and/or his marriage
* Parents made some good investments, are set for retirement, Jake will likely get a house and a decent inheritance
* Jake doesn't remember the name of the hottie her was bangin last night - marriage is pretty far down the road and, if he has kids, he doesn't know about it

Jake doesn't have to worry about school debt or saving for grad school, marriage, kids, or retirement. Jake saves, but also spends a lot of his income, so Jake bought a townhouse and drives an M3 and still has plenty of pocket money. Jake's parents bought him a lot of great stuff in college so it was pretty easy for him to furnish his townhouse.

Analysis. Unless one is the rarest of rare, your parents/family's financial situation can make $150k/yr look like poverty or a fortune - not to mention where you live and what your housing costs are. From Eddy's perspective, Jake's livin on Daddy's money even though Jake bought the car.

Anyway, whichever of those two is closer to you, I wouldn't get mad about the Daddy's money comment, it's a compliment ... you were born in and live in America so you're pretty fucking lucky just right there. Pretend they mean Daddy is Uncle Sam.

Your dad is probably one of your uncles anyway so ....
This pretty much nails it, although the actual details will vary on a case-by-case basis.
      04-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #115
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Well, just for the sake of argument, let's game this out ...

(1.) Saddled-down Eddy.

(2.) Free wheeling Jake.

Anyway, whichever of those two is closer to you, I wouldn't get mad about the Daddy's money comment, it's a compliment ... you were born in and live in America so you're pretty fucking lucky just right there. Pretend they mean Daddy is Uncle Sam.

Your dad is probably one of your uncles anyway so ....

This is very good. I always say that had my parents not paid for my college, I wouldnt be able to afford the M3 myself. It is what it is. At least they didn't directly buy the car for me. I work very hard for what I personally have

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #116
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Haters gonna hate...

I worked/paid for everything I have. But couldn't care less if someone's parents paid for their crap. Good for them!

I would do the same for my kids.
      04-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #117
rblynn78
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5M

Asked three times in the first month: Sooooo, can you make that exhaust quieter, my house shakes....

I had the valves closed (I have the EVC controller). After the 3rd time, now they are open and I purposely drive out of the neighborhood while it is still cold and very loud.

Neighbor: Uhhhh, I think it got louder, so whatever you're doing didn't help.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #118
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyJrze
Haters gonna hate...

I worked/paid for everything I have. But couldn't care less if someone's parents paid for their crap. Good for them!

I have no problem with it either, but it would be refreshing if people were honest and thanked their parents for the socioeconomic class they were born into.
      04-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #119
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyJrze View Post
Haters gonna hate...

F that

I'm obligated (out of love) to provide my kids, a roof over their heads, food on the table, and support needed to help succeed in school, but i sure as hell dont owe them luxury items, like a M3 or designer clothes or furniture.

This latest generation of millenials are pussies. Spoon fed everything, told they're f-in awesome at everything, sheltered. No wonder they feel entitled, to free shit. (Hence the Bernie Sanders appeal)

I will be damned to hand over a car to my child without them able to at least earn an honest dollar to pay for gas, maintenance, or insurance.

I dont believe you truly understand and appreciate your possessions unless you actually earned them.

Last edited by chillindrdude; 04-25-2016 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 10
      04-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #120
Irishsig
In Hoc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 6MT MG/SO

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
^ So True. Sad, but true.
      04-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #121
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F82 M4 '23 G05 x40i MSport

While I'm still slumming it in the old E92, F82 on it's way; I have no idea what my neighbor's think of my car. I've never spoken to a single one of them. We have a side load garage and no neighbor on the garage side, so maybe that helps. Every single person on my street has a Camry and a Pilot, or Sienna, or Odyssey. Seriously, they all drive the same exact cars.

However, the kids drying cars at the car wash love the car and ask questions about it all the time. They can't wait to see the F82, and frankly either can I.

This thread is funny. I am a financial adviser and wonder how some people can afford the stuff they have also. Then I subtract my own personal behavior (401k contribution, adequate life and disability insurance, long term care insurance, outside investments) because we think everyone does what we do. Assuming you're supposed to save 25% of income and the average guy saves like 2% of his, a 1000/month lease payment is easy when you have like 23% more income to play with because you're not saving it.

So my moral is I don't worry about anyone else. What they think is none of my business, and what I think is none of theirs. If my car is too loud, they can call the cops and let them decide.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 02:32 PM   #122
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
So this begs the question, which one are you?
I was probably somewhere in the middle, and much closer to Eddy than Jake. Here's why it came to mind:

I have the opportunity (?) to work with "classes" of young'uns who have the same job and more/less pay and every 2 years the following kind of thing comes up:

Newbies with rich parents from the south or midwest meet up with newbies with poor parents from the spendy coastal cities ... they start comparing notes. The rich noobs are wondering about where to go for spring break PTO and which has hotter chicks/dudes: Ibiza or Santorini. (youth the correct answer is Iceland! ).

Anyway the coastal/saddled noobs are like, "how the fuck can you afford THAT???" and the rich noobs are like, "what are you talking about? We get paid that same ..." and then someone has to explain the mystery to them.

The truth is, unless you've got $1M+ liquid sitting in a bank or inheritance you can't wisely afford this car ... and by "wisely" I mean "not making an impetuous gesture of pure boundless hope on your future prospects". But I'm usually alone in that opinion at least that's what BMWFS's books say.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 02:37 PM   #123
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

What a fucking beast, mate. Fuck me sideways.
Appreciate 3
Zayzel385.00
mrfox148.00
      04-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #124
zooberoo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C HS

"I like your new car. Is it a 435?"
      04-25-2016, 02:57 PM   #125
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx_m3r
Had the car for about a month now. My neighbors haven't said anything yet, despite me firing it up daily at 5am for work.

Today, I saw my neighbor give me the evil glance twice today when I left.
I would give you more than an evil glance if I had a car wake me up every morning at 5 AM.
      04-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #126
Fefe_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP Mineral White

Three of my neighbors know a little about cars. But I believe these are the best quotes from each one of them:

- Neighbor Nbr 1 (Tim) when I came home first time in the F80: "Watta hell?? That's a race car!!"
- Neighbor Nbr 2 (Anthony), when he was trimming his tree and saw me going to pick groceries in the M3: "hey man, I gotta tell you, you had nice cars before (C63, C55), but this one is the bomb!"
- Neighbor Nbr 3 (Pierre), he approached me when I was washing it, and he asked for some engine and performance specs. He was more amazed by the MPG the car does: "19 MPG? Are you kidding me?? With that engine??? You are lying!". I had to show him the trip computer with the number 19.4 MPG in the center console. Funny...
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #127
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
F that

I'm obligated (out of love) to provide my kids, a roof over their heads, food on the table, and support needed to help succeed in school, but i sure as hell dont owe them luxury items, like a M3 or designer clothes or furniture.

This latest generation of millenials are pussies. Spoon fed everything, told they're f-in awesome at everything, sheltered. No wonder they feel entitled, to free shit. (Hence the Bernie Sanders appeal)

I will be damned to hand over a car to my child without them able to at least earn an honest dollar to pay for gas, maintenance, or insurance.

I dont believe you truly understand and appreciate your possessions unless you actually earned them.
A-fucking men! Amazing how college kids who don't have a fucking clue about the real world think Bernie Sanders is a good idea
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #128
CDubInDC
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in MW

Just a thought, but if your neighbors notice your car as being that much better than their car, you may have bought more car than you can afford...

No one I live near is impressed that I spent $70K on a car.
Appreciate 1
mrfox148.00
      04-25-2016, 09:57 PM   #129
9SECDD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Blk on Blk, DCT

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDubInDC View Post
Just a thought, but if your neighbors notice your car as being that much better than their car, you may have bought more car than you can afford...

You may have bought more HOUSE than you can afford...
2015 F82 DCT M4. Max PSI Built Motor, Ported head, Full Bolt Ons, Upgraded fuel system, Motiv Reflex and flex hardware for flex fuel, Max PSI Crank Hub Fix, Pure PS2+ Turbos, SSP Spec X clutch, xHP Trans Flash, DSS Axles. Custom Ecutek tune by Ian @bend calibration. 780whp & 700+ ft lbs torque, 18" HRE R101s.
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2016, 09:58 PM   #130
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDubInDC View Post

They're probably laughing at you for having a cheap car.

j/k although your original statement is a bit judgmental...
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 11:41 PM   #131
m4recruiter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - ED Pick-up 4/29/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyJrze View Post
Haters gonna hate...

F that

It's the Gen-X guilt. We were the latchkey kids that were left to fend for ourselves. Our younger siblings got away with everything while we were told "No."

In return, we swore we would raise our kids better and provide for them the way we wanted to be provided for. Instead of road trips for family vacations, we take our kids on planes. We make sure they go to college and hire tutors to help them with testing and placement exams. A Bachelors Degree is now the HS equivalent of the 80s. We bought our first cars and our parents were the working middle class. Our kids get new cars for presents. Chores have been reduced to keeping your room clean and maybe some laundry. Our kids don't know how to use a hammer or a saw, but they can google a professional.

They think we make stuff up, like our parents that had to walk to school in the snow everyday, and it was uphill - both ways!

It's Gen-X, the trail blazers. The one's who invented "work-life balance" so that Gen-Y and Millennials can reap the benefits of entitlement.

2001 E46 325i Touring

Last edited by m4recruiter; 04-26-2016 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
mrfox148.00
      04-25-2016, 11:59 PM   #132
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

My favorite and most recent comment.....

"Gold wheels? Wow.... I never took you as one of those dbags... At least you picked a cool color."

Lol....
Attached Images

Sales & service of BBS Street & Motorsport products.
BBS Highest Volume Dealer 2015 thru 2022
All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.
Appreciate 3