European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-25-2021, 05:03 AM   #23
ALCOBENDAS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 F82

I put the battery on the ground and connected to another vehicle it already read 14.5v .. after 5 minutes I disconnected it and it read 0v again ... I connected it to an M4 to see if your electronic system did something with the switch .. step the same .. we installed it in a ftype .. it marked 14.5v ... at 20kms the car stopped .. before all the systems were failing ... today I will try to charge it with a new lithium charger ...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 06:16 PM   #24
Hoppyumr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALCOBENDAS View Post
I put the battery on the ground and connected to another vehicle it already read 14.5v .. after 5 minutes I disconnected it and it read 0v again ... I connected it to an M4 to see if your electronic system did something with the switch .. step the same .. we installed it in a ftype .. it marked 14.5v ... at 20kms the car stopped .. before all the systems were failing ... today I will try to charge it with a new lithium charger ...

I don't know from experience, but if you have a proper lithium charger that only charges to the correct voltage, you may need to take the battery apart and bypass the contacts that open up on low voltage to charge the battery directly. Again, this isn't from personal experience, so attempt this at your own risk.

Alternatively, I've seen where may be actually two separate companies that have cheaper replacements for our cars. One of them I believe was Antigravity. I'd look into them before I go plopping 2k for a dealer. Either way, I hear they need to be coded to the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 11:47 AM   #25
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Hi guys,

I'm coming from the F90 M5 forum and looking for help.

Did anyone face this issue when plugging-in a CTEK (rebranded BMW) Lithium charger ?

Thanks for your help!

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 04:08 PM   #26
pgershon
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 conv

Battery for 2016 M4

My battery died recently. I noticed in January when I was planning to have car inspected. It had not been driven for 4 months or so before it died. It took a jump, but BMW said it failed their test and recommended replacing it.

Instead I purchased a CTEK lithium Ion charger and got the battery reading full strength based on CTEK lights. I left CTEK connected. I checked it last 3 weeks or so ago and it still read fully charged. Today I noticed that the CTEK only had one light and it was flashing. I reset the CTEK but it now just gives me a solid green light at the top but all other indicator (I believe 1-7) are off.

Do I have anything else I can do or is my battery dead. If the latter, what is recommended replacement? OEM or another. And neither way, what is best way to procure. Local BMW wants an arm and a leg and my first born...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 05:37 PM   #27
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgershon View Post
My battery died recently. I noticed in January when I was planning to have car inspected. It had not been driven for 4 months or so before it died. It took a jump, but BMW said it failed their test and recommended replacing it.

Instead I purchased a CTEK lithium Ion charger and got the battery reading full strength based on CTEK lights. I left CTEK connected. I checked it last 3 weeks or so ago and it still read fully charged. Today I noticed that the CTEK only had one light and it was flashing. I reset the CTEK but it now just gives me a solid green light at the top but all other indicator (I believe 1-7) are off.

Do I have anything else I can do or is my battery dead. If the latter, what is recommended replacement? OEM or another. And neither way, what is best way to procure. Local BMW wants an arm and a leg and my first born...
First off if your car is out of warranty don't ever go to the BMW dealer for anything, don't look at the BMW dealer or even drive near the BMW dealer unless it is to buy a car. Find a good independent shop.

I did end up replacing the battery on that car with a Lifep04 battery, which at the time which ran me about $1000 less than oem. I did a quick google search and it looks like the batteries have gotten a bit cheaper over the years. You most likely have to replace it if the ctek charger is not working.
Appreciate 0