ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-05-2024, 04:06 PM   #1
Bim20k
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

440i or F80 M3

I'm having trouble deciding if I should buy a lower millage lci 2019 440i Xdrive or higher milage 2015-16 F80 pre-lci M3. Buying a newer car seems to be the smarter choice but having the opportunity own an M is what makes me hesitant. Can anyone help me with this decision?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 04:54 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim20k View Post
I'm having trouble deciding if I should buy a lower millage lci 2019 440i Xdrive or higher milage 2015-16 F80 pre-lci M3. Buying a newer car seems to be the smarter choice but having the opportunity own an M is what makes me hesitant. Can anyone help me with this decision?
If you want an M, buy an M. Buying a BMW M car is more of a passion buy than a logical buy.

This is the test I do to myself, if an M3 pulls up next to me at a stop light, am I going to be jealous? If yes, buy the BMW M3. If no, buy the 440i.

Just remember that BMW M cars have higher NVH. If you’re used to cushy quiet cars, this is going to be either a short lived M experience or you’ll really enjoy the extra NVH lol.
Appreciate 1
heymarkv123.00
      05-06-2024, 06:58 AM   #3
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F82 M4 '23 G05 x40i MSport

If you like quiet, cushy cars, don't buy a BMW period. The reason they are the Ultimate Driving Machine is due to their handling, lack of body roll, and stiffer suspensions.

The M cars are that, but at a much, much higher level. The M cars share less 30% of the parts of the "normal" models.

I wouldn't buy an M car as any kind of status symbol. Easy credit lets anyone buy anything nowadays. If you want drive an extremely capable car on the street and enjoy driving, the M cars fit the bill. They are track cars you can drive on the street.

Also, if you're married, your spouse may not like the noise/rigidity of the M car. Mine hated it and now I'm divorced. Looks like I made my choice
Appreciate 4
heymarkv123.00
EDMJAY91.00
TI.3VOM73.50
      05-06-2024, 08:26 AM   #4
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim20k View Post
no onfo provided how you plan to use the car or if you are passionate driver. M cars have dual personality and you pay premium for that. There is also financial decision to be made where you spend more to purchase M but depreciation is lover vs non M cars especially on pre owned models.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 03:01 PM   #5
SteveYem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S4, 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

For what it's worth, I am currently transitioning from my 2015 Audi S4 into my new-to-me 2018 M3 Competition. I immediately noticed the increased NVH in the BMW versus the Audi, and keep in mind that the Audi is lowered over an inch on coilovers (Bilstein PSS10 with many miles on them) while the M3 is on the factory stock suspension (with adaptive damping control). Overall the Audi is the more comfortable vehicle, but I would say the M3 is still a step up in most aspects.

With its power and RWD driveline, the M3 certainly demands more attention from the driver than the S4 does in order to stay on the road safely. Keep that in mind when you're mulling over the decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 07:56 AM   #6
Reckless_2k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330D

Just buy the M3 and tick the experience of owning one off. You will always wonder what owning one is like.

You can always sell it if it doesn't work out and get the 440i.

I would say the M models are status symbols. They are very rare on the road. An M car will always garner respect no matter what generation and are the only modern day collectable cars from BMW.

I've hesitated twice on buying one but the next good one I find is mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 01:57 PM   #7
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless_2k View Post
Just buy the M3 and tick the experience of owning one off. You will always wonder what owning one is like.

You can always sell it if it doesn't work out and get the 440i.

I would say the M models are status symbols. They are very rare on the road. An M car will always garner respect no matter what generation and are the only modern day collectable cars from BMW.

I've hesitated twice on buying one but the next good one I find is mine.
I would disagree that M Models are a status symbol, in the past I would agree. There are just too many on the road and with the M Performance models like M440i or M240i or whatever, it just diluted the "M" brand.

There was also a nomenclature of if your VIN began with a WBS instead of a WBA, it was an M car as WBS indicated it came from M gmbh. But nobody is checking VINs Also with the G87 being built elsewhere with a 3MF VIN, it doesn't follow the naming convention .

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 03:31 AM   #8
Reckless_2k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
I would disagree that M Models are a status symbol, in the past I would agree. There are just too many on the road and with the M Performance models like M440i or M240i or whatever, it just diluted the "M" brand.

There was also a nomenclature of if your VIN began with a WBS instead of a WBA, it was an M car as WBS indicated it came from M gmbh. But nobody is checking VINs Also with the G87 being built elsewhere with a 3MF VIN, it doesn't follow the naming convention .

I see many more Audi RS/S and Mercedes AMG models around. The proper M models are comparatively rare.

They are always the sports sedan that the Mercedes/Audi/Alfa are compared to.
Appreciate 0