proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Who's going to avoid the park distance zits?

I really don't like the park distance sensors being visible on bumpers. I guess there are some on the front and rear that are visible, if you get the park distance gear. Who's is going to go out of there way to avoid them? It looks like the executive package, and thus, the driver assistance package, requires them. Is this true? It's weird that you can't get HUD, rear view camera, or satellite radio without getting park distance. I'm hoping the sat radio can be activated stateside.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I think they look fine. They are some of the most well integrated sensors of any car maker.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan
I really don't like the park distance sensors being visible on bumpers. I guess there are some on the front and rear that are visible, if you get the park distance gear. Who's is going to go out of there way to avoid them? It looks like the executive package, and thus, the driver assistance package, requires them. Is this true? It's weird that you can't get HUD, rear view camera, or satellite radio without getting park distance. I'm hoping the sat radio can be activated stateside.
Well since the law was passed that all vehicles (2018+) will have to have either a camera/sensors of some sort, I'd say you'd fair best to get used to them

My wife's family company is a supplier of them (Taiwanese) to the big three and all other manufactures globally.
They manufacture in China and Taiwan and they are working on making them more and more less visible. But the trend is towards automated parking/backup/cruise etc...using cameras and sensors.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
maxxxmagnum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
Parking thingies don't bother me, but satellite radio does. I've had it in several cars and the more I listened to it, the more it annoyed me. Can't stand it any more. In order to utilize the broadband they compress the sound so much that it is no better than a lousy mp3. If you have any ears at all and a decent sound system in your car, you'd consider this atrocious. Compare to FM any time and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's better to use the built-in hard drive or USB port to plug in a flash drive and listen to your own music, than the horrible satellite.

On a side note, does anyone find it odd that BMW doesn't support FLAC???
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
Audio Fan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxxmagnum View Post
Parking thingies don't bother me, but satellite radio does. I've had it in several cars and the more I listened to it, the more it annoyed me. Can't stand it any more. In order to utilize the broadband they compress the sound so much that it is no better than a lousy mp3. If you have any ears at all and a decent sound system in your car, you'd consider this atrocious. Compare to FM any time and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's better to use the built-in hard drive or USB port to plug in a flash drive and listen to your own music, than the horrible satellite.

On a side note, does anyone find it odd that BMW doesn't support FLAC???
I am an audio fan and agree with the compression gripes. The issue is that these cars are so loud, much of the detail is lost. I generally listen to news/talk stuff in the car. It's nice to have the option when running between radio coverage areas.

Does anyone have pics of the front and rear sensors?

You notice that none of the show cars have them shown. As for the new regs, I may wait for better, smaller, hidden sensors. This M4 will keep me going for at least three years.

Last edited by Audio Fan; 04-22-2014 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

Well although the tech is getting better, in order to utilize additional autonomous systems, the actual sensors themselves are inevitable.

A cool feature I randomly found was the web radio/app utilizing the BMW connected app. It essentially allows you to plug In your phone and use it for the web radio. Why would anyone subscribe to the Sirus when they can link to that free? (Granted I am not certain how different Sirus and web radio are, but it had enough channels for me)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
maxxxmagnum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I am an audio fan and agree with the compression gripes. The issue is that these cars are so loud, much of the detail is lost. I generally listen to news/talk stuff in the car. It's nice to have the option when running between radio coverage areas.

Does anyone have pics of the front and rear sensors?

You notice that none of the show cars have them shown. As for the new regs, I may wait for better, smaller, hidden sensors. This M4 will keep me going for at least three years.
You always have an option to play the music louder than the engine

On a side note, I've read about this Active Sound feature, but never heard it in person. I hope it is turned off when playing music? I can't imagine music being mixed with the sound of engine via speakers. To design it that way would be plain dumb and offensive.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
To me the cameras are all you need - wish the PDC could be avoided with these.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 04-22-2014 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #9
maxxxmagnum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT79 View Post
Well although the tech is getting better, in order to utilize additional autonomous systems, the actual sensors themselves are inevitable.

A cool feature I randomly found was the web radio/app utilizing the BMW connected app. It essentially allows you to plug In your phone and use it for the web radio. Why would anyone subscribe to the Sirus when they can link to that free? (Granted I am not certain how different Sirus and web radio are, but it had enough channels for me)
Subscribing to Sirius vs free music is not an issue if you can afford a BMW, but it is an issue from the perspective of sound quality. Both Sirius and web radio are of criminal sound quality due to technical properties of satellite and web broadcast. I like my sound as good as reasonably possible in a car. That's why I always get a car with upgraded sound system. To pay extra for a sound system and then torture my ears with compressed Sirius junk or web radio, just doesn't make sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

like ive stated before.. anyone who orders drivers assist plus bs option pkg for M cars shall be shot on the day of delivery.
if you cant confidently park or parallel park manually, you got problems as a enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

I'd say wanting people shot because of options ordered with a car is a bigger problem, enthusiast or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #12
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK6 View Post
I'd say wanting people shot because of options ordered with a car is a bigger problem, enthusiast or not.
and bigger problem is some people cant handle sarcasm.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #13
maxxxmagnum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
Perhaps, it has to do with driving on the wrong side of the road...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #14
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

you guys listen to music in your cars? i prefer mechanical noises...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #15
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
like ive stated before.. anyone who orders drivers assist plus bs option pkg for M cars shall be shot on the day of delivery.
if you cant confidently park or parallel park manually, you got problems as a enthusiast.
i don't even look backwards to park anymore...i aim and listen for the pdc LOL. but as my wife says, i also drive around at some track in the middle of nowhere in circles all day for fun....enthusiast here (or loser to her).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #16
maxxxmagnum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
you guys listen to music in your cars? i prefer mechanical noises...
I tried chainsaw once, but it ruined my interior.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #17
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxxmagnum View Post
I tried chainsaw once, but it ruined my interior.
pretty similar sound to the m4 though.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #18
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

Quote:
Is that what is was supposed to be? Ok.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #19
fabolous
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M coupe

I had an s550 and when you got radar cruise control it eliminated the sensors. The manual described the system as bars underneath the bumper skin. All smooth
08 RS4 Phantom black w/ exclusive*sold*
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #20
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

My driving, moving forward, is pretty darned good, what with a BMW CCA Club Racing regional championship and 16 years of track experience.

My record in reverse: it's dismal. I want the pimples to protect me from my poor reverse judgement. Just fact. There, I said it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #21
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoggm3 View Post
My driving, moving forward, is pretty darned good, what with a BMW CCA Club Racing regional championship and 16 years of track experience.

My record in reverse: it's dismal. I want the pimples to protect me from my poor reverse judgement. Just fact. There, I said it.
Camera is better, IMO.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #22
Audio Fan
Major
Rep

$73K - no satellite radio or backup camera. This car better be awesome, or we are all huge suckers.
Appreciate 0