Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: Active Sound
I won't get the M3/4 if it has Active Sound. 8 50.00%
I would get the M3/4 if it has Active Sound. 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

07-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Active sound: do you care?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
M5/6 have active sound which uses the car's stereo to augment the actual engine noise.

Will it matter to you if the F8x M3/4 has this as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm not a fan at all of this kind of tech in our cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I think it is a bit silly but it would not by itself be a tipping point for me. My understanding is that it is easily disabled with the M5. Though I understand that it is the principle of it that is the real issue for some.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I think it is a bit silly but it would not by itself be a tipping point for me. My understanding is that it is easily disabled with the M5. Though I understand that it is the principle of it that is the real issue for some.
I don't believe it can be deactivated without pulling a fuse that disables the whole stereo system (see http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680384).

Active sound just is too cheesy and phony for me to have to listen to every time I drove the car.

I bet BMW will not have it included in the new M3/4. If BMW has a simple iDrive setting that allowed it to be turned off then I would just deactivate it and that would be fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

I've been driving an F10 M5 test car for 6 days now, and it hasn't bothered me one bit yet. Of course you do wonder if the sound comes from the engine or the ASD at times, but it's exactly the same.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I've been driving an F10 M5 test car for 6 days now, and it hasn't bothered me one bit yet. Of course you do wonder if the sound comes from the engine or the ASD at times, but it's exactly the same.

Best regards,
south
That hurts South; that hurts.

You guys are no fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I don't believe it can be deactivated without pulling a fuse that disables the whole stereo system (see http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680384).
Could be. But it is early still. I'll bet that someone will figure out how to code it out soon, and I think it will ultimately become a non-issue. It is just programming after all. If not, I still won't let effect my decision - there are other more important factors such as the feel of the EPS (assuming we get EPS), the power delivery, and whether the car is offered in San Marino Blue or Monte Carlo Blue.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

^You and those blues. BTW you haven't shown up to a TSE drive in a long time. We would love to see your face. The group has grown substantially over the last year or so. A bunch of e92m now. Also we are caravaning to bimmerfest east. I am sure you can make time, you know with all the time you're on the forums I assume you just chill all day lol.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710948 tse drive this coming Sunday
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715508 Bimmerfest East caravan

Oh and to return on topic, NO it wouldn't soley make me change my mind for purchasing the car. I am sure someone will code it out. It should, IMO, be an idrive option to disable. I am more concerned with the size/weight. I am hoping it is not much larger than the e92. Aesthetics need to just right. I love my e92m and for me to get rid of it this car is going to have to be a looker. And lastly price. I will seriously consider if the car comes well equipped for 75-80ish but if the car is 85-90k They can keep it. I will wait for the m2. I have a bad feeling that this new M4 is going to be a 70k base car. While I hope not, I have been looking at the price of what a normal 3 has become and it really has gone sky high.

Last edited by richardg; 07-10-2012 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0