Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

06-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #23
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTK24 View Post
thanks Thescout13, this timeline journal is very helpful for those of us going through similar ordering processes.

can i ask what happened between 6/22 and 6/27?
seems like on 6/22 you noted the dealer already sent out an individual color request. but on your 6/27 update it seems like they never did and are only now doing so?
(quotes below, emphasis added mine)
Sorry I should correct that, doing it now. They sent ED request, and once it gets approved then they will submit the special order request. The preference was to get the ED locked in before the special order request, but due to my date being so far out, BMW wanted to lock in special order approval first to push back the build week. Edited it to reflect this. It was a misunderstanding on my part.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #24
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Sorry, but that makes no sense. You cannot have an ED date without knowing when the car will be completed.

ED date is established once factory and Individual get their production completion coordinated. Your CA should have known that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Sorry I should correct that, doing it now. They sent ED request, and once it gets approved then they will submit the special order request. The preference was to get the ED locked in before the special order request, but due to my date being so far out, BMW wanted to lock in special order approval first to push back the build week. Edited it to reflect this. It was a misunderstanding on my part.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 09:11 PM   #25
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Sorry, but that makes no sense. You cannot have an ED date without knowing when the car will be completed.

ED date is established once factory and Individual get their production completion coordinated. Your CA should have known that...

Quote:
Ugh, you keep misunderstanding me. The order is a build week of 30. We know when its going to be completed we arent morons. What Im saying is that MY preference was to have that ED DATE locked so we requested it. Thats all. Not the ED altogether, that shit was done and on my VIR day one. Im talking about the ED PICK UP DATE LOCKED. Basically as a personal favor he was just trying to confirm the date for me, because for some other people it has worked this early. BMW came back saying that date was too far out for the build week, my dealer said it was a special order (individual color) and sent in the paperwork. Now we wait for them both to be confirmed and approved.

That does make sense, and my contact at my dealer has probably done more EDs than anyone in the US (he averages about 30-40 a year for various models/series) so he isnt an idiot either and this is how he does it. Just because your CA does it differently doesnt mean this Fleet Manager who has been doing ED for 30 years is wrong. Its getting done and I™m happy with it.

Maybe the confusion here is that he transferred an allocation that was already going to be a showroom order (and accepted by AG) already to tourist reserve. Who knows. But Im going to trust him on this one.

If this doesnt help clarify, I give up dude. Just trust, like I am and many many others before me that it will work out.

But I honestly do appreciate your feedback and your attempt to help me clarify. Hopefully this helps some more sap down the road. Like always, thanks Encanto!
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18180.50
      06-28-2017, 06:50 AM   #26
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

An ordering process is no opinion, so nobody in here is saying that anybody in your order process is a moron. Let's start with that.

You are not the only one that is reading your own posts. You got one forum member already confused with this convoluted order. Let's recap: you got build week 30 using a non-Individual color request. You locked in an ED date 6 months in advance without the Individual request, and the result of that is BMW telling your CA "date was too far out for the build week". And then an Individual request was issued.

The question is... do you think that you will be keeping build week 30 with the Individual order now in? Answer: BMW already told you no, and on top of that that was a no without even considering the Individual exterior which always add weeks to the production. So what was the purpose of all this "forcing"?

That is what I am questioning.

We talk about this before: your ED date that far out literally guarantees that you will get it. But you need to let BMW fill the blanks between now and that date by following their order process. There is no "forcing" anything or your order will be messed up. Even without this "forcing" you can read in this forum people getting their builds incorrectly configured by the dealer or even BMWNA by not following the ordering process. And that is before Individual get involved. With their own set of ordering process rules. More ordering confusion does not help anybody.

Out!

Quote:
Ugh, you keep misunderstanding me. The order is a build week of 30. We know when its going to be completed we arent morons. What Im saying is that MY preference was to have that ED DATE locked so we requested it. Thats all. Not the ED altogether, that shit was done and on my VIR day one. Im talking about the ED PICK UP DATE LOCKED. Basically as a personal favor he was just trying to confirm the date for me, because for some other people it has worked this early. BMW came back saying that date was too far out for the build week, my dealer said it was a special order (individual color) and sent in the paperwork. Now we wait for them both to be confirmed and approved.

That does make sense, and my contact at my dealer has probably done more EDs than anyone in the US (he averages about 30-40 a year for various models/series) so he isnt an idiot either and this is how he does it. Just because your CA does it differently doesnt mean this Fleet Manager who has been doing ED for 30 years is wrong. Its getting done and I™m happy with it.

Maybe the confusion here is that he transferred an allocation that was already going to be a showroom order (and accepted by AG) already to tourist reserve. Who knows. But Im going to trust him on this one.

If this doesnt help clarify, I give up dude. Just trust, like I am and many many others before me that it will work out.

But I honestly do appreciate your feedback and your attempt to help me clarify. Hopefully this helps some more sap down the road. Like always, thanks Encanto!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #27
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ok.

Moving on. We are thinking Prague -> Vienna -> Salzburg -> Castles -> Munich.

Will be getting winter tires. Will update on more concrete plans.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18180.50
      06-29-2017, 04:31 PM   #28
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post

An ordering process is no opinion
That sure hasn't been my experience, but given you built all of the ordering systems on both the BMWNA and BMWAG side, I guess you'd know how much variability there is.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #29
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

07/05/17: Car, originally scheduled for week 30 went into production early. Called dealer, he anticipated this and already had another production number with the special request submitted as a back up.
07/07/17: Dealer sends us updated VIR. Updated VIR shows status 102 - special request order rec. under "Sub. Notes" it shows 490 - ATLANTIS BLUE METALLIC. MSRP for color shows "BLOCKED" - asked dealer why, and am awaiting a response (likely because MSRP isnt set until after AG accepts the color request). Waiting to hear back on final approval and ED Date. Current build week is now week 35.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #30
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:
07/05/17: Car, originally scheduled for week 30 went into production early. Called dealer, he anticipated this and already had another production number with the special request submitted as a back up.
07/07/17: Dealer sends us updated VIR. Updated VIR shows status 102 - special request order rec. under "Sub. Notes" it shows 490 - ATLANTIS BLUE METALLIC. MSRP for color shows "BLOCKED" - asked dealer why, and am awaiting a response (likely because MSRP isnt set until after AG accepts the color request). Waiting to hear back on final approval and ED Date. Current build week is now week 35.
Looks like ours will be getting built together then... or at least in close proximity... I'm also still slated for week 35.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134947.00
      07-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #31
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
Looks like ours will be getting built together then... or at least in close proximity... I'm also still slated for week 35.
Given that our target ED date is in December, it may get pushed back further.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #32
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
True this,

Mine is on 9/19... so I think 35 may even get pushed sooner to accomodate Tanzanite.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #33
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True this,

Mine is on 9/19... so I think 35 may even get pushed sooner to accomodate Tanzanite.
True as well haha. That Tanzanite is going to be gorgeous. We saw one (in M4 form) on the dealer lot a couple weeks back and its really nice color. Too dark for what my wife wants, but it is a nice color especially in the sun.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 05:14 PM   #34
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
True as well haha. That Tanzanite is going to be gorgeous. We saw one (in M4 form) on the dealer lot a couple weeks back and its really nice color. Too dark for what my wife wants, but it is a nice color especially in the sun.
Oh I'm jealous of your color choice... I just couldn't afford the $$ or the wait.

Tanzanite is gorgeous though, we got the opportunity to drive one briefly that was on the used car lot at our local BMW dealer. Fell in love with the color right then and there. It was competition pkg too. Someone had traded it in with only 3k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #35
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
That is normal. The Sub. Notes will show something to the effect of SPECIAL ORDER 490 - ATLANTIS BLUE and then occasionally the price for the paint (should be $4735 wholesale, $5200 retail) and occasionally the initials MCM.

The VIR itself will show "490 Special Order Color" with Blocked pricing. That will stay that way until the vehicle status changes to 150 - in production. Then the color will be updated and the price will be reflected. This is done manually IIRC, so don't panic if it's not immediately updated.

So it sounds as though all is normal. It will remain status 102 for a week or two until BMW AG schedules it for production. Then it will go to 112 or around there before 150.

Nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 2
JTK24121.00
GrussGott18180.50
      07-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #36
JTK24
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
That is normal. The Sub. Notes will show something to the effect of SPECIAL ORDER 490 - ATLANTIS BLUE and then occasionally the price for the paint (should be $4735 wholesale, $5200 retail) and occasionally the initials MCM.

The VIR itself will show "490 Special Order Color" with Blocked pricing. That will stay that way until the vehicle status changes to 150 - in production. Then the color will be updated and the price will be reflected. This is done manually IIRC, so don't panic if it's not immediately updated.

So it sounds as though all is normal. It will remain status 102 for a week or two until BMW AG schedules it for production. Then it will go to 112 or around there before 150.

Nothing to worry about.
Yep, for what it's worth ... i also got an updated VIR from my dealer today.

and for paint it says "490 Special Order Color" and price is "Blocked"

When I originally ordered the car it was Status 112 (that was last week). I guess all the Individual Color red tape went through and that is why it "reverted" back to Status 102?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #37
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Nothing to worry about.
Dude, this is some great insight. Posts like these are definitely going to help people down the road. My VIR says all those things so will update my first post so people know its normal. What does the MCM mean?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #38
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTK24 View Post
Yep, for what it's worth ... i also got an updated VIR from my dealer today.

and for paint it says "490 Special Order Color" and price is "Blocked"

When I originally ordered the car it was Status 112 (that was last week). I guess all the Individual Color red tape went through and that is why it "reverted" back to Status 102?
Yeah that is what mine did. Basically they received the special order request and knocked it back down to 102 until the order is accepted by AG.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 06:08 PM   #39
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Dude, this is some great insight. Posts like these are definitely going to help people down the road. My VIR says all those things so will update my first post so people know its normal. What does the MCM mean?
No problem, if your Sub. Notes say SPECIAL ORDER: 490 - ATLANTIS BLUE $4735 W / $5200 R - MM/DD/YY MCM, you are good to go.

MCM are the initials of the lone person in charge of the VIP (BMW Individual) ordering program in North America. That means she has reviewed it and submitted the color to BMW AG. Status 102 is also reflective of that.

Status will go "backwards" on an existing allocation that was modified for any vehicles with true Individual (special order) paint or interior options. Often it will go from Status 112 or 114 back to 102. It will stay at 102 for a week or two until it is scheduled for production again. BMW Genius will be able to give you the Week # that it is scheduled to move in to production. If they don't, HACA (hang up, call again) some reps are more skilled than others at the nuances of BMW's order status system. They will caveat that it can change (which it can and often does).

Also, while it does not apply in your case since you are doing ED, for anyone who wants port-installed (PIA) options, your CA can add them to your order AFTER production has started (once the car hits status 150). They will not be able to beforehand.

Also, with rare exception, once an Individual color/interior is approved and scheduled for production, the order is not modifiable, so be CERTAIN you are happy with all the options you have selected when you submit the order, because they aren't going to be able to be changed without involvement from BMWNA to do it (i.e. Your CA won't be able to do it themselves. It's not impossible to change options, but it is not easy, and there is a hard cutoff date (called an Individual Block Date) after which no changes are allowed, period).

PIA (port installed options) are able to be added/changed once the vehicle enters production. PIA options are not available for ED vehicles.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by TonySCV; 07-17-2017 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: had VIR on my mind when I meant PIA for port options
Appreciate 1
JTK24121.00
      07-07-2017, 07:07 PM   #40
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No problem, if your Sub. Notes say SPECIAL ORDER: 490 - ATLANTIS BLUE $4735 W / $5200 R - MM/DD/YY MCM, you are good to go.

MCM are the initials of the lone person in charge of the VIP (BMW Individual) ordering program in North America. That means she has reviewed it and submitted the color to BMW AG. Status 102 is also reflective of that.

Status will go "backwards" on an existing allocation that was modified for any vehicles with true Individual (special order) paint or interior options. Often it will go from Status 112 or 114 back to 102. It will stay at 102 for a week or two until it is scheduled for production again. BMW Genius will be able to give you the Week # that it is scheduled to move in to production. If they don't, HACA (hang up, call again) some reps are more skilled than others at the nuances of BMW's order status system. They will caveat that it can change (which it can and often does).

Also, while it does not apply in your case since you are doing ED, for anyone who wants port-installed (VIR) options, your CA can add them to your order AFTER production has started (once the car hits status 150). They will not be able to beforehand.

Also, with rare exception, once an Individual color/interior is approved and scheduled for production, the order is not modifiable, so be CERTAIN you are happy with all the options you have selected when you submit the order, because they aren't going to be able to be changed without involvement from BMWNA to do it (i.e. Your CA won't be able to do it themselves. It's not impossible to change options, but it is not easy, and there is a hard cutoff date (called an Individual Block Date) after which no changes are allowed, period).

VIR (port installed options) are able to be added/changed once the vehicle enters production. VIR options are not available for ED vehicles.

Hope this helps!
Great information. A few more follow ups: (1) what does the MM/DD/YY date on by Sub. Notes mean? Is this the date she approved the color and sent it off to AG? (2) is it possible to hear back about your ED date before the color gets approved and accepted by AG? or is approval/acceptance by AG necessary before ED confirmation?

Also, good to know about the modifications to our order. We are happy with what we optioned so no change there.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #41
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Quote:

Also, while it does not apply in your case since you are doing ED, for anyone who wants port-installed (VIR) options, your CA can add them to your order AFTER production has started (once the car hits status 150). They will not be able to beforehand.

VIR (port installed options) are able to be added/changed once the vehicle enters production. VIR options are not available for ED vehicles.

Hope this helps!
There are two types of Individual: 1) Individual Collection (individual options paint, interior & trim available from the respective ordering guide) and 2) Individual Manufaktur (which OP ordered). Both Individual programs have an Individual Block Date as my VIR had a block date of 5/11/2017 for a week 26 production (July 10th production completion) for a Tanzantie F83 ED 9/25/17. I wasn't tracking the status going back and forth, but was informed that the X10 color wasn't able to be entered without BMWNA distribution assistance as I had a production number and was status 111 as of April 17th, 2017. Interesting that screen shot sent to me of 'Order Modification Comfort Dealer Enquiry' had a Reg Prod 2017/5/19 and Sub Production 2017/06/26, as the sub production date matches the production week provided by BMW Genius.
GrussGott18180.50
      07-07-2017, 07:37 PM   #42
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Great information. A few more follow ups: (1) what does the MM/DD/YY date on by Sub. Notes mean? Is this the date she approved the color and sent it off to AG? (2) is it possible to hear back about your ED date before the color gets approved and accepted by AG? or is approval/acceptance by AG necessary before ED confirmation?

Also, good to know about the modifications to our order. We are happy with what we optioned so no change there.

Thanks again!
Sub might mean the new production date.
      07-07-2017, 07:43 PM   #43
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not sure on the SUB (submitted) date - it's either the date the color request was submitted or approved. As far as ED, I've never done it personally so I can't help you there.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 07:43 PM   #44
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The Werk aka factory will probably lump all the individual colors together to be painted, the paint shop needs to be stopped, cleaned for the individual paint process, then after all the individual's are painted for that batch cleaned again to resume 'normal' paint operation. I believed that I posted further up that my F83 will be completed 77 days prior to my ED date. Makes me believe that 'just in time production' for individual ED cars is not applicable and BMW AG will store them. Not sure were as the Welt has limited storage.
Thescout134947.00