GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

04-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
liquidM
Rep
Drives: TBD

M4 in Production - Wrong spec

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Two questions:

1. So my CA is telling me my M4 is in production already. When I call the automated Genius hotline for status, it says it is scheduled for production.

Which is correct?

2. The CA added a heated steering wheel to the build to which I did not want. I told him to remove it but he never did last week. I will never use the heated steering wheel option, so its wasted money.

What are my options on this?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
AIRHEIR
X3M Comp
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

I had similar experience to this....no change will be possible on the steering wheel. Try to get the dealer to cover it or at least split it with you. My dealer ended up eating some of the costs for items I did not want on the car..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
liquidM
Rep

Ok I just called the Genius hotline and it looks like my M4 build week is late May/early June. It has not started production.

Blah. So my CA is trying to keep the sale. I'm canceling. This dealership experience has not been a good one.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #4
Alan92
Private
Rep
Drives: M8C Comp

If you mean (800) 831-1117 as automated genius then yeah it's delayed.

(844) 443-6487 And your salesman will have the same up to date info
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #5
liquidM
Rep

Yea i was calling the automated line earlier.

I then called the Genius hotline and they told me it hasn't started production and I can make changes. So apparently, my CA is lying to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Ask your dealer for a copy of the Vehicle Inquiry Report (VIR). This is literally the build sheet for your car and has all options as well as the status code of your car. This contains all the specs for the vehicle that BMW is going to build for you. Don't rely on anything that your CA tells you, the VIR doesn't lie.

If you asked your CA to remove the heated steering wheel, and have this in writing (e-mail), and he didn't, then he should eat the cost. Don't pay for something that was his mistake. Also, always make any change request in writing (and get confirmation). Otherwise, it's just a he said/she said situation.

Appreciate 2
SakhirM410783.00
GrussGott18116.50
      04-17-2017, 08:03 PM   #7
liquidM
Rep

The initial VIR had the heated steering wheel. My requested options did not and also the handwritten copy I signed off on at the dealership did not have it. Signed copy had upon customer approval written on it.

Apr 10, CA wants approval to move forward and asked if I wanted it. Later that night, I sent him an email saying to remove it. Then Thurs, I had some circumstances which I needed to cancel the order. In which he replied the car is in production and cannot be cancelled.

Anyhow, I cleared some items up over the weekend and today told him in email I am moving forward with the build but to change color and to remove the heated steering wheel if he hasn't already. His reply is still its in production. Hence why I checked the automated system and then the Genius hotline.

I'm not very pleased with this experience.

I am thinking of calling the general sales manager tomorrow and asking him directly to cancel.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #8
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidM View Post
The initial VIR had the heated steering wheel. My requested options did not and also the handwritten copy I signed off on at the dealership did not have it. Signed copy had upon customer approval written on it.

Apr 10, CA wants approval to move forward and asked if I wanted it. Later that night, I sent him an email saying to remove it. Then Thurs, I had some circumstances which I needed to cancel the order. In which he replied the car is in production and cannot be cancelled.

Anyhow, I cleared some items up over the weekend and today told him in email I am moving forward with the build but to change color and to remove the heated steering wheel if he hasn't already. His reply is still its in production. Hence why I checked the automated system and then the Genius hotline.

I am thinking of calling the general sales manager tomorrow and asking him directly to cancel.
There is no such thing as " you can not cancel".. even if the car was in production, you can tell them that it does not meet the specs you agreed upon so you dont want it.

If you ever intend on doing business with that particular dealership again, I would go, in person and ask to speak to the CA and the sales manager, and explain about the steering wheel and the "miscommunication" of it being in production etc.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #9
scusyxx
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i xdrive

Quote:

If this dealership is in MA, they are the worst. I always go out of state dealers for business. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

As a fellow northeast'er, what dealer is giving you such trouble?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #11
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
What a joke - can't cancel it my a**. While there is point where the car is going to be built regardless, you can decide not to buy it at any time, including when it shows up at the dealer. And unless you've ordered some bizarre combination that your dealer told you would result in a non-refundable deposit, you should be able to get your deposit back as well.

That being said, if you have other reasons to cancel the order so be it...but I wouldn't cancel just because it has the heating steering wheel option. Heck, I use it during winter months in Tucson!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #12
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

You can cancel up to delivery, so they are just feeding you a line of crap.

Heated steering wheel is only $190, they shouldn't have too much trouble eating that cost if it's really going to kibosh the sale otherwise. Unless this dealership is extra stupid, anyway.

Worst case, are you willing to re-order and wait longer for you car over $190?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #13
liquidM
Rep

I have other circumstances that led me to try to cancel last week. Then I worked it out over the weekend, but making it work required to change color from Tanz to Yas due to cost and removal of the heated steering wheel and other cf accesories. But each time he said the car was in production. Yesterday was the last straw. I have an approximated wk 22 build. I have confirmation from Genius that I can change my build and/or cancel.

So I am passing on the M4 for now. I may try to get into an M in a year or so. :shrug: for now, this dealership left a bad taste in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 05:35 PM   #14
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
I have other circumstances that led me to try to cancel last week. Then I worked it out over the weekend, but making it work required to change color from Tanz to Yas due to cost and removal of the heated steering wheel and other cf accesories. But each time he said the car was in production. Yesterday was the last straw. I have an approximated wk 22 build. I have confirmation from Genius that I can change my build and/or cancel.

So I am passing on the M4 for now. I may try to get into an M in a year or so. :shrug: for now, this dealership left a bad taste in my mouth.
For what it's worth, in a year from now they will be delivering the CS if that's something you want, and there may be a couple of pre-owned 2018s on dealer lots if you are not super picky on options (although Tanzanite suggests you are).
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 09:44 PM   #15
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
So just FYI -- Once you selected TZB as your color, that made it an "individual" color / order and changing anything was going to take an act of congress. I had a similar issue and ultimately had to reorder when a standard color (SSII) to get my option list.

I learned that if you're going Individual paint or interior, get your ducks in a row from the beginning and make sure the VIR is correct as early as possible. Once BMW accepts the order/config, you're likely screwed if it's not right.

Cheers,
Mikecom32149.50