Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

01-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #23
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Thanks for posting this up, it looks great! That's a bummer the bumper has to come off to install this one.
Appreciate 1
JibSTir13602.50
      01-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #24
DB323
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP

Looks good. How much was this lip and where did you order it from if you dont mind?
Appreciate 1
JibSTir13602.50
      01-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #25
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
That CS lip looks awesome. Congrats
Appreciate 1
JibSTir13602.50
      01-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #26
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Thanks for posting this up, it looks great! That's a bummer the bumper has to come off to install this one.
Yeah, it is quite the install process for a front lip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLATom View Post
Where did you buy it from? I had looked a couple of months ago and didn’t find one for sale.

Looks great BTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB323 View Post
Looks good. How much was this lip and where did you order it from if you dont mind?
Ordered it from IND-Distribution.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #27
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JibSTir13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasko View Post
Killer shots! Love the CS lip on the M3. I'm glad I held off on the M-Performance CF parts. However I didn't realize you have to remove the front bumper to install it. Did the shop have to make any modifications (cutting, drilling, etc.) to accommodate the CS front lip?
Yes, some trimming of plastic behind the bumper is required to fit the three brackets, but nothing significant (we're talking a few mm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthn View Post
Wow, do all front bumper splitters/lips need to have a bracket like that? Did not know that.

Looks fantastic installed.

Most front lips/splitters attach directly to the front bumper without a need to remove the bumper, and do not use brackets. As far as I know, bumper removal is required to install the following font lips/splitters: GTS (and replica), GT4, and CS.
The M Performance lip has a brace installed into the bumper. Bumper isn't removed but the belly pan is unbolted and moved out of the way to put it in place and then the belly pan is re-secured.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #28
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
The M Performance lip has a brace installed into the bumper. Bumper isn't removed but the belly pan is unbolted and moved out of the way to put it in place and then the belly pan is re-secured.
The brace certainly helps but it isn't necessary for the M Performance lip. I ran mine for over 2 years without and no issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #29
zzirgrizz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I bought a CS front lip from RW carbon. They said the lip has been modified to be installed without needing any support brackets or removing the bumper. But looking at RW's lip and the OEM CS front lip, they look the exact same. Even have the mounting holes for where the support brackets would be installed.

Am I still okay installing it without the brackets or should I return it back to RW Carbon? Just worried that the lip would get ripped off at high speeds since it won't have the support brackets.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 06:01 PM   #30
geroz1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI2 Manual

Subscribed! Can you share photos of RW version?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #31
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

love it, just can't swallow the price.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #32
whitefrs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroz1 View Post
Subscribed! Can you share photos of RW version?
Me 2 want pictures lol
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #33
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutRanger View Post
I bought a CS front lip from RW carbon. They said the lip has been modified to be installed without needing any support brackets or removing the bumper. But looking at RW's lip and the OEM CS front lip, they look the exact same. Even have the mounting holes for where the support brackets would be installed.

Am I still okay installing it without the brackets or should I return it back to RW Carbon? Just worried that the lip would get ripped off at high speeds since it won't have the support brackets.
How would it rip off? All other lips apart from he oem gts and cs are installed like this. Just make sure you have at least 12 screws in it and you'll have no issue
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #34
zzirgrizz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin Montego View Post
Quote:

How would it rip off? All other lips apart from he oem gts and cs are installed like this. Just make sure you have at least 12 screws in it and you'll have no issue
That's a good point. My logic behind it was because since the OEM CS lip requires the brackets, it's not being installed the way it was intended. But I'm probably just overthinking it
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #35
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

Quote:

I got the same one and installed it today by myself. I made some custom brackets for added support. I did not remove the bumper for my install.

Appreciate 5
      01-14-2018, 10:24 PM   #36
Graves
Sicario
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Love it. I'm gonna go with the CS lip, spoiler, and hood.
      01-15-2018, 03:59 AM   #37
ONE1
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressoo View Post
Quote:

I got the same one and installed it today by myself. I made some custom brackets for added support. I did not remove the bumper for my install.

Nice. Can you post more pictures of the fitment? Side angles, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #38
espressoo
Major
Rep

Finish and fitment is good however it's about 1/4" short of the wheel well arches on both sides. I haven't seen any close ups of the the real one so it's difficult to compare fitment. I could have adjusted the whole lip towards the rear of the car to minimize the gap however it would make the front look weird. This was the best compromise on the placement in my opinion. Front and sides are flush with the bumper. Install took me 5 hours however I worked extremely slow (in part due to the cold garage). It took me an hour playing around with fitment/placement. I also took an hour scrounging for parts and making the brackets.

The lip has a female thread already pre-installed for the center mount. I luckily had a bolt with the matching thread. For the center bracket, I found an L-bracket that worked (might require some bending). I screwed it into the front bumper dead center and added a plastic spacer. For the two side brackets I used a piece of 1/2" wide x 1/8" thick aluminum that I bent into shape then added the necessary holes.

Overall, nothing needed to be cut or trimmed. You just start by removing the covers on the bottom side of the front bumper corners. It's held in place by 7 screws on each side. After installing the lip, only the two corner holes on the lip will align to the factory screw holes. The rest of the holes I used self tapping screws. In total about 20 screws holds it in place so I don't think it's going anywhere. It was freezing in my garage so VBH tape was useless so I opted not to use it.

Once the lip is screwed into place, just reinstall the bottom side covers. In some areas you need to press it against the lip and secure the factory screws back in place and everything should fit fine. I'm glad I didn't have to remove the bumper for this install. First off, I wouldn't have known where to begin removing it and it would have taken much longer. The only benefit of removing the bumpers appears to be installing the brackets. The RW version of this lip doesn't include any hardware so that point was moot after I was able to make the custom ones.

Enjoy the pics! It's freezing outside (12F) so these will have to do.

Appreciate 1
MPoweRo428.00
      01-15-2018, 08:20 AM   #39
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It would nice to know/see if the lip is designed to be ~1/4" short of the wheel well arches on both sides. In my opinion, I wouldn't characterize that as good fitment. I would not be happy with that fitment at any price point much less $2,000. It also doesn't appear to be flush with the bumper in the areas closest to the wheel well arches. I'm not at all trying to come for your installation skillset but it just doesn't look good for what's supposed to be an OEM part on what is essentially the same car from a chassis/shell perspective.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #40
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

There's no gap in the OP's pics
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #41
ONE1
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
There's no gap in the OP's pics
OP has the real CS lip. The lip with gap is a replica from RW.

Quote:
Finish and fitment is good however it's about 1/4" short of the wheel well arches on both sides. I haven't seen any close ups of the the real one so it's difficult to compare fitment. I could have adjusted the whole lip towards the rear of the car to minimize the gap however it would make the front look weird. This was the best compromise on the placement in my opinion. Front and sides are flush with the bumper.
Thanks for the pics. I noticed this gap when they first posted pics of the lip on Instagram. I was hoping they would have addressed that. I'm curious why they didn't. Everything else looks pretty close to the real CS lip.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #42
zzirgrizz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

If you look up pictures of the M3 CS lip, even the OEM one has a slight gap where the lip meets the wheel well. So if the fitment on the Rw one is good besides that slight gap, Id be fine with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #43
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:

[IMG]https://image.ibb.co/ncnxGm/B956_D98...FC410559_F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://image.ibb.co/cxJR96/D3778_BA...D8972295_D.jpg[/IMG]
That lip looks great! Especially considering that it is a mere fraction of the cost of the OEM version. The small L shaped brackets look like they would be good support but those longer c-shaped brackets wont really give you any real reinforcement. Overall an impressive alternative to save money on a part that may as well be considered a consumable. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 03:32 PM   #44
espressoo
Major
Rep

In looking at pics of the real CS M3, I noticed there's the same gap near the wheel arches. I think it makes sense from a design standpoint. If your wheel is full lock for a U-turn for example, you wouldn't want the tire to snag the corner of your lip and possibly rip it off. It would look better flush but that's probably a good compromise.

Regarding the custom bracket, I think it's added security but doesn't ensure the same level of support as the OEM bracket. I think if you're concerned at all, just add some 3M VHB tape with the install. If the unfortunate happens with road debris I rather have the lip come off rather than taking the whole front bumper with it.

I braved the coldness and took a few more outdoor pics. One thing I noticed about the real CS pictured above, their lip is slightly tucked right in the middle below the air dam. About 1/8" or so. My install I opted to make it as flush as possible so it's a smoother transition from the angled center portion of the lip to the lower bumper.

Appreciate 0