EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
LBH23
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Exec Pack Frustration!

Let me state, I am on my third BMW. I love the company and their cars. I have also driven Porsches and understand the option game well. Never have I been as frustrated with options as I am with this particular car. It is a $70,000 car and you cannot even have the option of a rear-view camera OR PDC without dropping $4,300. It is beyond infuriating. I have a garage in an alley with a tight turn and some reversing in tight spaces to get into my spot, the PDC I have on my car now has saved countless bruises. Other than sat radio, I have not a need or desire for one other option in the Exec Pack, yet cannot either of these a la carte....poor treatment of their customers....and I would think BMW might consider M3 customers as an important part of their fanboy base. How about a frickin' bone??

Do you think going aftermarket with rear view cam would be a good idea? I know there are a few variants for the F30, I would think they would apply to the F80? Any advice - anyone else want to vent. Almost forgot, my assistant just got a new Kia - comes standard with satellite radio, my $70,000 plus car....it does not. And yes, I know it is a performance car - but some of us like to take our performance cars on long weekend drives and satellite radio is the absolute best for long drives.

LBH
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Agreed.

I picked PDC, CA as stand alone options on my 335i back in 2006.

By now they should either be standard or we should have an option to pick them individually.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

I have to agree, some of the $20,000 Kia models even have ventilated seats and rear view cameras. On the other hand, BMW's are very common here in Vancouver and if the M3 was a $40,000 or $50,000 car too many high school kids would have one in their parent's driveway.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
paso1
Rep
Drives: M3

With you on this... On my 4th BMW, and also been through the Porsche rabbit hole and back again... But this one really pissed me off! Many would say I shouldn't be looking at this car if I'm so concerned about PDC, but the fact of the matter the car would be all nicked without it..

It's the concept not the $
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

The $4300.00 is high and I agree but I am getting it only for the Hud :-( Figured that Hud is around $1300 to $1500.00 so your basicly paying $2800 for keyless entery and ass heaters for imaginary rear passengers.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

The only way to get BMW to reconsider this absurd package is to get more buyers to skip it. This way they'll realize that they would've made more money have they offered PDC, HUD and CA as stand alone options.
Let's start a petition.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

I find heated components, rear view camera, headlight washer, and satellite radio useless (park distance control is enough). Could save me probably $1500 if taking those out from executive package.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

BMW will always pkg options like this for now on. ITs easier for ordering for us dealers as well. You start making everything available as indiv pieces you end up getting cars that sit on the lots for a long time bc they are not optioned the way a person wants.

So when you group everything its a all or nothing type of buying which makes it easier for ordering as well as selling.

So don't expect BMW to go back towards more indiv options but instead more grouped options. Its frustrating yes however in the bigger picture it works a lot better this way for BMW and dealers.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 3
      02-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #9
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
BMW will always pkg options like this for now on. ITs easier for ordering for us dealers as well. You start making everything available as indiv pieces you end up getting cars that sit on the lots for a long time bc they are not optioned the way a person wants.

So when you group everything its a all or nothing type of buying which makes it easier for ordering as well as selling.

So don't expect BMW to go back towards more indiv options but instead more grouped options. Its frustrating yes however in the bigger picture it works a lot better this way for BMW and dealers.
+3
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #10
LBH23
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

At least I know I am not alone. Yes, I know many will say well only someone who can drive should be buying an M3, thus PDC and rearview cam are not needed, but we all have different situations and if you live in an urban area and will have to parallel park, navigate curbs and tight garages, there is no way around having this option unless you want plenty of knicks, scratches, dings, etc. Could have spent $750 on the option and instead I find myself frustrated, and mostly just disappointed and feeling taken advantage of. YMMV on this, but it really is a joke…even Porsche offers these as stand alone. Probably will pony up for the exec pack just like the bean counters in Munich figured I would…but leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Funny, spending $63,000 on the base car does not bother me at all….spending $4,300 for a few sensors and coding on the radio does.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #11
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

It is very strange that navigation is standard but the back up cam is not. Navigation and backup came should come together.

Most cars these days back up cam is standard and navi is not.

I have a feeling that the wiring harness might be at the trunk already. So all there is to do is buy the camera it self from the dealer and install it. At least I sure hope so.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post

I have a feeling that the wiring harness might be at the trunk already. So all there is to do is buy the camera it self from the dealer and install it. At least I sure hope so.
Go ahead and trail blaze for the forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #13
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post

So we should really be pissed at BMWNA, and not BMW AG.
CA should be standard. END OF STORY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBH23 View Post
Let me state, I am on my third BMW. I love the company and their cars. I have also driven Porsches and understand the option game well. Never have I been as frustrated with options as I am with this particular car. It is a $70,000 car and you cannot even have the option of a rear-view camera OR PDC without dropping $4,300. It is beyond infuriating. I have a garage in an alley with a tight turn and some reversing in tight spaces to get into my spot, the PDC I have on my car now has saved countless bruises. Other than sat radio, I have not a need or desire for one other option in the Exec Pack, yet cannot either of these a la carte....poor treatment of their customers....and I would think BMW might consider M3 customers as an important part of their fanboy base. How about a frickin' bone??

Do you think going aftermarket with rear view cam would be a good idea? I know there are a few variants for the F30, I would think they would apply to the F80? Any advice - anyone else want to vent. Almost forgot, my assistant just got a new Kia - comes standard with satellite radio, my $70,000 plus car....it does not. And yes, I know it is a performance car - but some of us like to take our performance cars on long weekend drives and satellite radio is the absolute best for long drives.

LBH
There are even OEM options for the rear view camera and PDC for the E9x platform, so I'm pretty sure you'l lbe fine but it may take a year to be available.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #14
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

^^Can't please everyone as you know the saying goes. Remember we here on the forum are only a small population of the BMW buyer. Im sure they have done studies to find out what pkg sell the most etc..

I am with you I would have liked to pick as well but we can't so is what it is

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #15
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBH23 View Post
At least I know I am not alone. Yes, I know many will say well only someone who can drive should be buying an M3, thus PDC and rearview cam are not needed, but we all have different situations and if you live in an urban area and will have to parallel park, navigate curbs and tight garages, there is no way around having this option unless you want plenty of knicks, scratches, dings, etc. Could have spent $750 on the option and instead I find myself frustrated, and mostly just disappointed and feeling taken advantage of. YMMV on this, but it really is a joke…even Porsche offers these as stand alone. Probably will pony up for the exec pack just like the bean counters in Munich figured I would…but leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Funny, spending $63,000 on the base car does not bother me at all….spending $4,300 for a few sensors and coding on the radio does.
I hear your frustration and am generally in the same boat. however, I can understand the flip side of it.

as a clarification regarding Porsche, however, I have to disagree. yes, they offer incredible customization, but if you look at the bulk of cars that get ordered, they are ordered with the Premium Package or Premium Package Plus (basically their equivalent of the Exec Pkg in purpose). the idea is to bundle all of the options most consumers want such that you can take a base car, tick the package box and it comes very well equipped. this makes more sense for dealer inventories and for resale, as cars become less individually tailored to each owner's tastes and requirements.

sucks to have to bite the bullet, but you should get paid for the ZEC on the backend when you re-sell.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #16
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post

sucks to have to bite the bullet, but you should get paid for the ZEC on the backend when you re-sell.
There is no way you'll get anywhere close to $4,300 for a bunch of coding come resale time. I think it's a good thing owners and prospective owners are voicing their dissatisfaction at this packaging, which in years gone by used to be a money saver not a money pit.

I'm with the OP and others, CA and PDC should be standard or standalone options. [/U]The car will be a gift for my wife and these are two options she has on her current M3 and improves her daily use of the vehicle.

I'm happy with the standard price of the car, but mine will have less options than if they were available non-packaged. I suspect others will do the same, so BMW NA's strategy to maximize profits may not be totally successful in this instance.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #17
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
There is no way you'll get anywhere close to $4,300 for a bunch of coding come resale time. I think it's a good thing owners and prospective owners are voicing their dissatisfaction at this packaging, which in years gone by used to be a money saver not a money pit.

I'm with the OP and others, CA and PDC should be standard or standalone options. [/U]The car will be a gift for my wife and these are two options she has on her current M3 and improves her daily use of the vehicle.

I'm happy with the standard price of the car, but mine will have less options than if they were available non-packaged. I suspect others will do the same, so BMW NA's strategy to maximize profits may not be totally successful in this instance.
never said you'd get paid $4,300 on the back end (to assume that would be ridiculous), but there will be buyers that must have the HUD, CA, PDC, camera, or some combination. if you didn't get the Exec package, they'll pass. I don't think it's crazy to think that two comparably used cars in 3 years might see a $1.5k price differential.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #18
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
never said you'd get paid $4,300 on the back end (to assume that would be ridiculous), but there will be buyers that must have the HUD, CA, PDC, camera, or some combination. if you didn't get the Exec package, they'll pass. I don't think it's crazy to think that two comparably used cars in 3 years might see a $1.5k price differential.
I agree with this 100%, especially given how most people want 1 or more items included in the ZEC. I wouldn't buy the car without CA, PDC or HUD.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #19
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
CA, PDC and HUD are necessary IMO.

I won't live without side or top view cameras on tight city streets with parallel parking either. All of you suburb dwellers are spoiled; time to rim scratch is low indeed without them. At least I can get them without the stupid driver assist package.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #20
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

No pre-wiring, and no module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
It is very strange that navigation is standard but the back up cam is not. Navigation and backup came should come together.

Most cars these days back up cam is standard and navi is not.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #21
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

ZEC priced by option MSRP:

- Comfort Access = $1000
- Rear Camera = $400
- PDC = $750
- HUD = $1300
- "Extended" Leather = $950
- Sat Radio = $350
- Heated rear seats = $500
- Heated steering wheel = $190

Total = $5440

Rear camera at $400 is an illusion, as BMW always requires PDC with it. So it is $1150 or $950 (F300) as a package. Rear camera, PDC and HUD as a package (F10) is $1800, or slightly less in the F8X as 6WA is standard. Add the leather and CA and it is $3750 or $3250 easily as a package based of BMW standards.

So the extra $1050 of this ZEC is for $1040 in equipment that should have been optional as a Cold Package -for $500 as front heated seats are standard and the sat radio as a stand alone for $350.

The same $1050 that can go towards upgrading to "Full" Leather or any other better option. Like Individual.

Useless nickel and dime.

Last edited by Technic; 02-21-2014 at 04:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #22
czarmar
Private
Rep
Drives: 1999 323i

I just wish I could get some of the ZEC options but delete the headlight washers. Leave 'em off! Who invented these ridiculous things? Is this some European requirement from years past that legislated these be offered?
I think BMW is playing a balancing game of trying to group options together at a price point where most will be resigned to checking the box, as it includes essential features not offered otherwise. With both the F10 and F80 ZEC, they are infuriating enough people with their groupings that people are starting to forgo some options that are almost required at this point. It really isn't a bargain, like perhaps the 320i sport package, which is a downright steal. If you add up the elements of F80 ZEC, you aren't saving much money, and being coerced into getting things you'd never want.

1999 323i with 292K miles
Appreciate 0