Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

11-05-2017, 06:50 AM   #1
Viper3197
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition

Garage List
Mix of Carbon Fiber and Black Parts

Hi All,

I知 a new proud owner of a 2015 M3 in alpine white. Currently adding a few external mods to match what I would have built from factory.

Work so far:

CF rear spoiler
Black kidney grills
CF front splitters
CF side mirror covers
Gloss Black powder coated exhaust tips
Alpine white covers around all reflectors front and rear

I知 interested in adding a front lip and a rear diffuser next. I知 concerned about going with a carbon front lip as I hear they are very fragile and require a larger investment for something this will most likely get damaged fairly quickly from prior experience. How does everyone feel about adding a gloss black lip with the carbon splitters? How about the diffuser, CF or gloss black.

Interested in opinion on whether I should stick with CF all around or if a mix would look good. Any pictures of others setups would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by Viper3197; 11-05-2017 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #2
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
I think gloss black would look fine with alpine white, certainly for the lip. Hard to say how a gloss lip will look with carbon fiber splitters without seeing it in the flesh. Here are a couple of sites with pics. Seems alright to me.

https://www.autotecknic.com/product-p/atk-bm-0017.htm
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1030996 (More satin sheen on the lip)

My personal preference is to leave the splitters body color. But I'm probably in the minority there.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:21 PM   #3
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper3197 View Post
Hi All,

I知 a new proud owner of a 2015 M3 in alpine white. Currently adding a few external mods to match what I would have built from factory.

Work so far:

CF rear spoiler
Black kidney grills
CF front splitters
CF side mirror covers
Gloss Black powder coated exhaust tips
Alpine white covers around all reflectors front and rear

I知 interested in adding a front lip and a rear diffuser next. I知 concerned about going with a carbon front lip as I hear they are very fragile and require a larger investment for something this will most likely get damaged fairly quickly from prior experience. How does everyone feel about adding a gloss black lip with the carbon splitters? How about the diffuser, CF or gloss black.

Interested in opinion on whether I should stick with CF all around or if a mix would look good. Any pictures of others setups would be great.

Thanks
Have you considered body color match on the lip? Ive gone this route. It looks damn good and makes the front more complete imo... its definitely my preference on my Silverstone M4 when i had poly lip. I liked the look so much i even painted my new CF GTS style lip. I imagine it will look great on AW as well. I have link of my build for more reference pics under my signature below.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Gloss looks fine, but I would highly consider the front lip in the standard matte black. A front lip is prone to the most damage...being dinged going down slopes, driveways, etc. especially if lowered. I would not paint it white with the rest of your body. One good scrape and it's instantly noticeable meaning repaint or new lip.

If not matte, CF> gloss though more expensive and more likely to get damaged. Talking purely looks here not practicality.

As far as diffusers go, hard to beat M performance. Matches your rear spoiler, splitters, mirror caps and roof weave perfectly and with perfect fitment and 100% real CF. CF over gloss for the diffuser all day long.

Gloss black tips look nice, and if you add a gloss black rear M3 badge/side slits they will complement the other CF pieces nicely.

I have an AW F80 as well. Went with CF front splitters, CF rear spoiler, standard matte lip, CF rear diffuser, BMS gloss black exhaust tips, with gloss black rear badge and side slits. Looks great

Last edited by IDBGOD; 12-05-2017 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
jnthn
SLUSHIE
Australia
Rep
Drives: f80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2017 BMW f80 M3  [0.00]
Status Gruppe do great stuff in FRP or Carbon
Appreciate 0