proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

03-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #23
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
No shouldn't be a problem if done correctly. I believe they use steam to make the film pliable and to loosen the adhesive.

Also it seems like you've been researching PPF forever? Just do it!
2 things, its very expensive and considering i dont keep my cars more than 2-3 yrs is it worth it. The 16 M i traded in had lot of goodies including PPF but all went in vain when i sold the car and the new owner will enjoy all the good stuff, dont mind doing removable mods and window tint for looks.
      04-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #24
Paletero
Essentially Auto
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

The carbon fiber roof can be polished just like the paint on the car because it has the same clear coat as the paint. Depending how deep your scratches are will determine if compounding/polishing will get them out. Usually if your finger nail gets caught in the scratch it's to deep to completely remove but, polishing could still make it look better than before. Clear coats are between 35 – 50 microns thick so excessively compounding/polishing is not good. You can minimize scratches by using proper wash & drying technique as well as using quality microfiber towels. Never take your car to a car wash or let the dealer wash it because they will create swirls in your paint. If you are interested on my YouTube I have a playlist of what I usually do to prep a new car. I hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_u...uB0w/playlists

Last edited by Paletero; 04-26-2018 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #25
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 MW/CSC/6MT/18s

Got the first foot from the windscreen covered with STek. First car owned with so much CF, but it reaches the zenith of the hood height that a rock could hypothetically graze (fuzzy math and physics for the win).

So I sort of did a halfway between exposure and cover.
      04-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #26
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

its no different than on clear coated paint....because its the same thing!

a carbon fiber roof is still cleared just like the painted hood, fenders, doors, etc. There is no difference in application just because the underlying material is carbon, or plastic, or aluminum, etc when the panel is cleared
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #27
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paletero View Post
The carbon fiber roof can be polished just like the paint on the car because it has the same clear coat as the paint. Depending how deep your scratches are will determine if compounding/polishing will get them out. Usually if your finger nail gets caught in the scratch it's to deep to completely remove but, polishing could still make it look better than before. Clear coats are about 1 micron thick so excessively compounding/polishing is not good. You can minimize scratches by using proper wash & drying technique as well as using quality microfiber towels. Never take your car to a car wash or let the dealer wash it because they will create swirls in your paint. If you are interested on my YouTube I have a playlist of what I usually do to prep a new car. I hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_u...uB0w/playlists

Clear coats are MUCH more thick than 1 micron...usually about 40 to 50
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #28
Paletero
Essentially Auto
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
Clear coats are MUCH more thick than 1 micron...usually about 40 to 50
You're right, it's usually between 35 – 50 microns. I confused microns with mils which clear coat is about 1.5 – 2.0 mils thick.
Appreciate 0