proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

01-02-2023, 11:02 AM   #1
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

PSM aggressive diffuser discussions

I really want to try out a PSM style rear diffuser because it looks awesome and would please my inner hotboi, race car wannabe brain but I have some concerns that I am curious about.

1. I track my car, do high speed stuff, etc. Is this PSM diffuser strong enough to withstand 150+ mph speeds without flexing, dragging the ground, breaking off or turning into a wind sail? Has anyone added center stanchions at the front to strengthen the center tray?

2. The aggressive vertical fin design seems to get quite low to the ground. I'm trying to understand how likely it is that I will drag the fins on the pavement with a lowered car that is driven smartly on good quality roads or on a road course. I know that answer has lots of variables but I see a fair share of diffusers with drag marks on the bottoms of the fins and I don't know if these people are driving up extreme inclines in cities or driveways, or if just hitting a decent sized dip in the road at speed is enough to drag the fins.

3. Performance pros/cons: is this likely to just create a lot of drag and not provide any helpful downforce or air smoothing underneath the car?

Anyone have any experience with this PSM diffuser from a 'motorsport' perspective? I know it will look great in the garage but I don't want to waste the money if I'll likely immediately destroy it.... My M4 is just a fun/weekend car.

Thanks in advance!

car in question:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 10:38 PM   #2
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

It will be a parachute at high speeds. I have heard stories of them ripping off at the track — not because they scraped, but because they act as a parachute. If you want to use it in high speed situations, plan a more robust diffuser mounting system. And it would be a good idea to cover any avenue that air can get into — basically extend the flat flooring into the diffuser.

For street use, I have never seen a full PSM diffuser without scrape marks on the fins. They sit really low so it will scrape on driveways.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 09:06 PM   #3
paulo_f80m3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01' E46 325i / 16' F80 M3

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I went from the M Performance Diffusor to the PSM style one from Horizon Motorsport. Night and day. Looks so much better and it makes the rear end that more aggressive. Just make sure you add the two supporting screws in the middle like I did and the diffuser is solid. It’s not going anywhere. If you are concerned I would just remove the undertray when going to the track. 8 screws and it’s off. Easy to put on and off.
Attached Images

01-12-2023, 05:24 PM   #4
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

Check out the carbon 1.5 M4 diffuser. It's "similar to the PSM but it actually fits properly and it does not move. AT ALL. Super high quality V pattern carbon and oem mounting point and clips.
Seen here.https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1869453
      02-10-2023, 04:30 PM   #5
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

Anyone who says this diffuser can withstand 150mph is either ignorant or lying lol. That shit catches SOOO much wind at high speeds. Zero chance it stays on going that fast.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 03:58 AM   #6
s55jesus
M Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
I really want to try out a PSM style rear diffuser because it looks awesome and would please my inner hotboi, race car wannabe brain but I have some concerns that I am curious about.

1. I track my car, do high speed stuff, etc. Is this PSM diffuser strong enough to withstand 150+ mph speeds without flexing, dragging the ground, breaking off or turning into a wind sail? Has anyone added center stanchions at the front to strengthen the center tray?

2. The aggressive vertical fin design seems to get quite low to the ground. I'm trying to understand how likely it is that I will drag the fins on the pavement with a lowered car that is driven smartly on good quality roads or on a road course. I know that answer has lots of variables but I see a fair share of diffusers with drag marks on the bottoms of the fins and I don't know if these people are driving up extreme inclines in cities or driveways, or if just hitting a decent sized dip in the road at speed is enough to drag the fins.

3. Performance pros/cons: is this likely to just create a lot of drag and not provide any helpful downforce or air smoothing underneath the car?

Anyone have any experience with this PSM diffuser from a 'motorsport' perspective? I know it will look great in the garage but I don't want to waste the money if I'll likely immediately destroy it.... My M4 is just a fun/weekend car.

Thanks in advance!

car in question:
Don't get it if you're planning to use it for constant track purposes. They will most definitely come off under constant abuse. They also tend to sit real low so the fins scrape EVERYWHERE. My tow truck driver destroyed my fins last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin Montego View Post
Anyone who says this diffuser can withstand 150mph is either ignorant or lying lol. That shit catches SOOO much wind at high speeds. Zero chance it stays on going that fast.
Depends how it's installed. I've done multiple 150mph+ runs and it's still on there. Although I wouldn't trust it under constant speed runs like that.
Attached Images

2015 F82 M4 (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2023, 01:58 PM   #7
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

old thread but my Turner CF rear diffuser decided to turn into a parachute on my last track day. Was probably loose from previous sessions but came flying off at 100mph on Monday. Just going to reinstall the factory painted one unless there are other suggestions. I like the look but doesnt hold up well to track use.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 07:20 AM   #8
DeTh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
This has been my main apprehension with getting a diffuser. No way they will stay on at 190mph
HotRodM4687.00
      08-04-2023, 09:22 AM   #9
HotRodM4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
  [10.00]
Anyone on bimmerpost ever run this one?
https://www.aeroflowdynamics.com/pro...ar-diffuser-v1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt4Vi6wOdnE