Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #45
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by panjyp View Post
Stopped by the BMW dealer this week and they said the new M3 Sedan, to be released late 2013, will only come with DCT. What's the likelihood of that? Are the 2011's the last to have a 6MT?

Jeff
your dealership .... Irvine BMW ? or Crevier

like most dealership... dont know $#&!

the Next M3 will have Manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #46
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Your forgetting how annoyed he got about having to make a MT for this M5. That isn't an enthusiast. Thats a salesman.
No he is an enthusiast and one of the originals from the E30 M3. He is not just a salesman.

I'm not trying to speak for him but I believe his point with the M5 ( I was in the room), is that the manual doesn't sell outside the US in such a high end luxury performance car. Other exotics have gone away from manuals so why does the largest, heaviest, most luxurious M model "need" a manual? It is counter intuitive. Maybe the US will devote resources to keeping the M5/M6 manual alive in the future but to M it is a money losing proposition as resources could be used elsewhere and no other market wants it or even will take it when offered.

The other thing to consider is that outside the US- DCTs are the enthusiasts choice and are the more desirable option for day to day. The US market is not the main target of BMW or M any longer (as it shouldn't be). The current M5 is what an M7 would have been in the day.

The M3 is now what the M5 was in the E39, and the 1M is where the M3 was. Everything sub M5 will be offered in a manual outside the SAVs- makes the cars cheaper and more fun for the US market.

I'm not saying a manual doesn't belong in the M5- I recently reviewed it and thought it made the car better for the US and low speed limits and that many don't track their cars. There is nothing better than nailing a perfect heel toe and an apex of a corner on a back canyon road- it adds to the connection but that is about it.
      09-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #47
ocso1606
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M

Garage List
2007 BMW 525xi  [0.00]
2010 Volvo  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i M-Sport  [0.00]
I have read and been told the same thing by my dealer. No more 6MT. That would really stink
      09-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #48
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
The other thing to consider is that outside the US- DCTs are the enthusiasts choice and are the more desirable option for day to day. ..
Where can you find such stats? My understanding has been there are proportionately more manual cars (and people who know how to drive manuals) in Europe and Asia than the US.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #49
M308
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I'm just wondering......why would they have MT in some of the mules getting around if they weren't going to offer them in production form?
You can clearly hear the gear changes of the MT in some of the videos doing the rounds......so, I wouldn't listen to any he said, she said BS.
If they "did" decide (which I think will be highly unlikely) to only offer a DCT trans, I wouldn't even take a second look at purchasing it, as I currently own an E90 6MT & couldn't imagine owning another M3 with out having to use that 3rd pedal

Long live the 6MT in the M3
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #50
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Where can you find such stats? My understanding has been there are proportionately more manual cars (and people who know how to drive manuals) in Europe and Asia than the US.
I believe he is specifically referring to performance cars and the more preferred choice of performance-related transmissions in high end models
which is the most preferred choice for the customer in that segment.
      10-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #51
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocso1606
I have read and been told the same thing by my dealer. No more 6MT. That would really stink
Sorry but everyone here knows that dealers basically know nothing accurate when it comes to future product development and news. Pay attention to the homepage news here it's much more accurate.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #52
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I believe he is specifically referring to performance cars and the more preferred choice of performance-related transmissions in high end models
which is the most preferred choice for the customer in that segment.
I got that. But my question was why is that? Note that Audi also offer US only manuals for their S4/S5 models, which competes with 335i, so when you say "high end" models, it's not that high.

The true high end like Ferrari and Lamborghini aren't offering manual in the US and Porsche is following suit with their higher end (for Porsche) GT3. What makes the S4/S5/M3 different?
Appreciate 0