ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

12-01-2023, 01:13 PM   #45
epvm4
Rep
Drives: BMW F83 M4

I’ve been subscribed to your YouTube channel for several weeks now. Always look forward to the next upload. Love the upgrades you’ve been making and wish you continued success with your journey.

Hit me up if you are in Northern Virginia again. I’m not too far from Chantilly. We have a few really good cars and coffee’s in the area, with the most notable in Great Falls.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 08:26 PM   #46
m3freak86
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by epvm4 View Post
I’ve been subscribed to your YouTube channel for several weeks now. Always look forward to the next upload. Love the upgrades you’ve been making and wish you continued success with your journey.

Hit me up if you are in Northern Virginia again. I’m not too far from Chantilly. We have a few really good cars and coffee’s in the area, with the most notable in Great Falls.
Thanks for the support and following the journey! I appreciate it!

Wish I was down their more often. It’s a beautiful area.
      01-08-2024, 11:51 AM   #47
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

Shew, it's been a bit since I have had time to get the journal updated. Holidays kept me busy with any free time I did have. But, let's get back to it!

September 14, 2023,

At the initial purchase of everything I wanted for this car, I decided on the KW HAS kit. I wanted to keep things as simple as possible. However, realizing I wanted to step down to 18's and knowing the HAS kit wouldn't be able to get me to the height I wanted, I decided to scrap the idea and go with what I wanted to do from the start. Coilovers!

I had a great experience with KW V2's on my e46 m3 back in the day, so naturally I swayed towards the V3's. I briefly looked at some other options like Ohlins R&T, but decided to stick to my gut and go with the KW V3's.

Check out the detailed video below of my who what and why I decided to go with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcn-QMD9t_U
Attached Images

01-08-2024, 12:22 PM   #48
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

September 21, 2013

What's being installed: OEM M Performance Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler

After some time with the aftermarket cs style rear spoiler, something about it looked off to me. It was a very nice quality piece, but the more aggressive design and angles just looked funky to me on the rear end of the F80. Decided to sell that one off and go with what I knew was going to look good.

Picked up an OEM M Performance carbon spoiler from IND and knew right away this was the route to go. Opening the box, the quality, fit, and finish was transparent. Did a quick test fit on the trunk and it laid completely flat with no strange gaps or questionable areas. NOTHING fits like OEM.

Threw on some adhesion promotor and some double sided tape and I got to installing. It was very easy to line up and get in the right spot due to the small lips on the underside of the spoiler. It almost just falls into place. Made sure it was attached well by pressing down in a few areas and hit it with my heat gun quickly.

Stepping back, it was instant love. It just fits the body lines of the F80 so well. It's nothing over the top or too in your face. In fact, it's a pretty subdued style comparing to all the other options out there. Very happy I decided to make the switch as I just couldn't get passed the rear end with the CS one on.

If anyone is looking for the best spoiler option, OEM is the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ134NGWi3s
Attached Images

01-08-2024, 12:46 PM   #49
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

September 25, 2023

What's being installed: Downstar titanium door and trunk hardware

There were a few more kits available from Downstar that I wanted to snag. I did the entire engine bay and to me, if I see another kit available I have to have it. It's those small details that most don't bother with that tend to gravitate towards me. The small details are the ones that you find after looking over the car 2,3,4,5,6 times. Those matter to me.

Picked up their door hinge kit as well as their trunk kit. No need to explain the install on these as you simply just unscrew stock and screw in the new. Although minor detail, it makes me happy every time I open one of the doors or trunk. That's all that matters!

Next up, we are getting to the FUN stuff. SUSPENSION AND WHEELS! Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMvxrIofqO8
Attached Images

01-08-2024, 12:57 PM   #50
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

September 27, 2023

What's being installed: KW V3 Coilovers with EDC Delete

I got my feet wet with the smaller stuff already. Got it cosmetically looking the way I wanted, but I couldn't wait to get my hands dirty on the suspension. These cars from factory sit entirely too high, in my opinion. It's incredible how much more aggressive M cars look and feel when they are lowered. Being that this is not my daily vehicle, I knew I could take my time with the install and get it done over the next few nights.

As mentioned, I installed kw v2's on my e46 back in the day, so the install process seemed to be quite similar. Being that my car only had 19k miles, I knew the install would go smooth and wouldn't encounter any crazy seized bolts.

Got into the garage after putting the kids to bed and got to work. I started on the driver front to refamiliarize myself with the process. If anyone is like me, you already know how to install something since you've researched beyond belief on how to do so. After doing the driver side, I felt very confident in getting the install completed. Having the right tools goes a long way as well!

Overall, the install took me 2 nights, taking my time (and filming) to get all 4 corners on, edc delete modules in, and the car dialed in to the height I wanted. To me, the most time consuming part is getting it sitting where I want. I tend to obsess over this stage a bit too much, but I know in the end how worth it is to get it right where I want.

The KW's are such a pleasure to install. Everything fits beautifully and I didn't run into any hiccups or any "oh no" moments. Plus, they look amazing in the wheel well!

Now, that everything was good to go, I had to put a few miles on it for it to settle. I typically wait 2 weeks or 500 miles (whichever comes first). For me, 2 weeks is always what I do since I don't like driving cars after suspension installs with the alignment all out of wack. The car feels horrendous afterwards and I don't like mindset that the car feels "worse". Even so, I don't drive this all the time so hitting 500 miles takes longer than most.

Overall, very happy I went with the full V3 coils instead of the HAS kit. The HAS kit is very nice if you want to keep it super simple. But I know myself and knew I wouldn't be able to get to the height I wanted and would regret not going with true coilovers in the long run.

Full alignment and review videos are coming up, so stay tuned for those!

NEXT UP: TE's are mounted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9wkhIXmFUw
Attached Images

Last edited by m3freak86; 01-08-2024 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2024, 10:11 AM   #51
1FastSicilian
-Frank
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

nice journal! Car looks great. I remember your e46.. Fantastic taste in mods.
IG: @_frank_stone_
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 10:13 AM   #52
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSicilian View Post
nice journal! Car looks great. I remember your e46.. Fantastic taste in mods.
Hey man. I very much remember you as well. Super cool to see some of the OG's still hanging around these parts. I miss the forums. Trying to keep them alive by doing what I've always done.

I greatly appreciate the kind words! Lots more to catch up on here, but looking forward to updating the journal. It's been a breath of fresh air.
      01-10-2024, 08:59 AM   #53
KhanhyeEast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black on Black

Great build thread! I remember a few of you guys from the old m3forum days lol
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 09:02 AM   #54
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanhyeEast View Post
Great build thread! I remember a few of you guys from the old m3forum days lol
Thanks! Glad to see OG’s still hanging around. Miss m3forum but, this will do.
      01-11-2024, 08:05 PM   #55
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

September 29, 2024

What's being installed: Volk TE37SL's and Falken RT660.

The day has finally come! I was so anxious to get the wheels on the car, but knew I wanted to wait until I was finished with the KW coil install before I threw them on. It took a few days to dial everything in, but tonight was the night to finally get them mounted on up. I have been a TE fanboy for many years and knew when I eventually got an F80, they would be the first set of wheels I would get.

Spec's on the wheels are 18x9.5 +22 front and 18x11 +34 rear. Fallen RT660 265/35 front, 295/30 rear. As soon as I threw the first one on, I knew it was the right move. The aggression the wheels gave the car totally justified all the work I have put into the car. It was the icing on the cake. The offset, the tire choice, tire sizing, everything was absolutely perfect.

I am a big fan of the track spec look, so these were exactly what I was after. I know black wheels aren't for everyone, but to me, I am just a big fan. Painted up the hubs on the wheels as well since I will not be running center caps. Turned out pretty great for a quick paint job. Really happy I took the time to do that since the raw/rusty metal would have thrown off the look.

Waiting for the suspension to settle down a bit as the coils have only been on the car for a day or so. But I think I nearly hit the perfect height to do these wheels justice right off the bat.

Really happy with how the car is turning out as the vision I have had in my head for nearly 5 years is finally coming true.

Plenty more to come!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV9egIK2VRM
Attached Images

M_Torx328.00
      01-12-2024, 09:08 AM   #56
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 - F80

This angle right here >*
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
funk323156.00
M_Torx328.00
      01-12-2024, 03:09 PM   #57
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINERALGREY_F80M3 View Post
This angle right here >*
Agree! One of my favorite angles. You can see a little bit of everything.
      01-13-2024, 04:45 PM   #58
heymarkv
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

The flat black TEs goes so well with Mineral grey metallic, love what you've done so far!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 09:03 AM   #59
YMBDrew
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 YMB M3

Love this build series and love the fact that you came from an STI platform.

Previously owned a 2007 STI Limited UGM 257. Sad I had to sell it and still miss it to this day.

Finished my one build and just starting my F80 M3 build.
Appreciate 1
funk323156.00
      01-20-2024, 09:28 AM   #60
funk323
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CS

Garage List
2019 BMW M4CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YMBDrew View Post

Previously owned a 2007 STI Limited UGM 257. Sad I had to sell it and still miss it to this day.

Seems a few of us came from the Subaru world, I also came from an STI.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 11:03 AM   #61
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

October 10, 2023

What's being installed: Turner Motorsports Oil Cooler Guard

After lowering the car, I knew addressing the exposed oil cooler was a must. I've heard some horror stories of the cooler being punctured by road debris and it leaving the car stranded. After assessing what the stock "guard" looked like, I knew it was a good idea to upgrade to something a bit more robust.

Naturally, I took a look at the falline guard, but had a hard time figuring out why it had such a large dollar amount. There surely had to be other options out there that are more reasonably priced and offer similar protection. I was right! I came across the turner motorsport guard and knew this was exactly what I was looking for. OEM hardware and mounting points. No drilling or cutting. Perfect! Decided to pick one up in the wrinkled black finish to keep it looks as OEM as possible.

Install was extremely straight forward. Remove the stock 8MM, slide the stock plastic flimsy piece out and replace! I opted to get new 8MM bolts with my order, not necessary, but figured I might as well when I am there. Couldn't be happier with the product as the fit and finish is top notch. Really gives me a sense of added protection and can take that worry off my shoulders.

Highly recommend picking one of these up whether you are stock height or lowered! Definitely some great reassurance when you are carving up the backroads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvwx5utLI64
Attached Images

Last edited by m3freak86; 02-13-2024 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 3
AudiDad61.50
M_Torx328.00
      02-13-2024, 11:49 AM   #62
M_Torx
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

^ most important mod right here and the first one did
      02-13-2024, 12:21 PM   #63
Stronie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80M3 Comp. 6MT

TE fitment absolutely perfect. Eyeing the same set-up, if I can get them. Well done. Love the build and follow ya on Youtube. Cheers
2017 Atlantis Metallic F80 | Silverstone Interior | 6MT | CF Mirror Covers | CF Front Splitters | CF M Diffusor | CF M-Performance Spoiler | RKP IND Side Skirt Extensions | IND Paint matched Reflectors | KW HAS Springs | Instagram: Atlantis_S55
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 01:21 PM   #64
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymarkv View Post
The flat black TEs goes so well with Mineral grey metallic, love what you've done so far!
Thank you! A bit more subdued than what most people go with, but I like things a bit simpler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMBDrew View Post

Thanks! Yes, the STI was a really fun build. Really enjoyed the whole process with that car and where I went with it. Would love to build a hawk eye someday and daily it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk323 View Post
Seems a few of us came from the Subaru world, I also came from an STI.
Haha seems to be that progression! Although, I owned my e46 m3 before I got into any Subaru. Little backwards, but made me appreciate my old WRX and STI even more.
      02-13-2024, 01:23 PM   #65
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Torx View Post
^ most important mod right here and the first one did
Absolutely! Good peace of mind. Something I think any owner should do no matter the car's height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronie View Post
TE fitment absolutely perfect. Eyeing the same set-up, if I can get them. Well done. Love the build and follow ya on Youtube. Cheers
Thanks! I spent a lot of time looking for the right spec and setup. With the large fenders on the m3, it's a must to fill those out!

I appreciate the kind words and support! Lots more to come.
      02-13-2024, 01:35 PM   #66
m3freak86
Captain
Rep

October 13, 2023,

What's being done: Alignment

After the KW install, getting a fresh alignment was a must. I tried my best to get things into spec by eyeballing it, but it's always recommend to get a proper alignment anytime you change the height of the car. For me, I wait 2 weeks or 500 miles. Whichever comes first. Lately, the 2 weeks comes up sooner than the 500 miles since the fun cars don't get driven as much as they used to.

Hit up my favorite ship out in Montgomeryville, PA; RT Tuning. I have been going to them for the past 4 years and have nothing but praise. They helped me build up my STI to what it was. Amazing staff, true gear heads, and lots of knowledge to get the job not only done well, but right. STI, my truck, and now my M3 has gotten the RT touch. A bit of a drive for me, but 100% worth it!

Pat, the suspension tech, got the car on the rack and got to work. Thankfully, the car wasn't too out of spec, so dialing things in to where I wanted it was pretty straight forward. It's pretty amazing how low you can go with these cars and still get them into factory spec. Did a little fine tuning on the passenger front coil and driver rear to corner balance as best as possible and I was on my way.

My detailed alignment specs are in the video below, but I am sitting at -1.5 in the front and -1.9 in the rear. ideally, I would like to reverse that and have a bit more up front, but my main focus was to get into factory spec and keep the fitment as flush as possible.

On the drive home, I finally got to feel how amazing the car felt with all the new changes. KW's, RT660's, TE's, and a fresh alignment. The car felt like an entirely different animal. All the late nights in the garage getting everything installed was worth it. Anytime I am knee deep into an install, I always question myself why I am doing this, but I know the feeling I get once I finish. And this was one of those moments. The satisfaction of feeling and seeing the car exactly the way I wanted was pure bliss.

So pleased with how everything turned out. I've envisioned an f80 sitting exactly like this for so many years and pretty incredible to see it in front of me.

If anyone is in the tri-state area or willing to travel, make sure you hit up RT! Tell them I sent ya. Amazing shop for just about anything you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDy0MS9vtt0
Attached Images

Last edited by m3freak86; 02-13-2024 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 3
M_Torx328.00
Boznien73.50