Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #67
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMonet View Post
Okay guys, I could not find the high res version of this video - but it is a classic.

Ayrton Senna heel toe in the NSX.

Watch and learn...
And as you can see, he is rev matching. And rev matching while braking, which is the reason for heel-toeing.

Cheers.
      07-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #68
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMonet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
What you should be doing is revving the engine before reaching the friction point. By the time you reach it the engine rpm should be the same as for what it would be when the clutch is let fully out at that speed. When done correctly there is no jerk and it minimizes friction and wear on the clutch. And without the jerk the composure of the car will not be upset when driving "spiritedly". But it takes practice and skill to do it perfectly all the time.
Cheers.
Okay guys, I could not find the high res version of this video - but it is a classic.

Ayrton Senna heel toe in the NSX.

Watch and learn...

http://<div class="youtube-playerCon.../iframe></div>" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<div class="y...ame></div></a>
We had a classroom instructor show us this at DE. The best part is he's doing it in loafers. He's the master.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #69
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Don't any of you dare to think you can ever imitate Ayrton. Shame on you for bringing him up. His death still is met with a chill down my spine.

Btw it doesn't look like he's heel toe'ing there it's like half his foot is on one pedal and half on the other !!! What a master!!!
      07-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #70
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Yep, heel on gas pedal toe on brake. IE Heel/toe

Wasn't trying to give you a hard time, but id highly suggest learning to rev match on downshifts, and you don't have to heel/toe to do it, especially not on the street.

Slowlu releasing the clutch on downshifts and not giving the car gas to match rpms is very bad for the car and transmission, and also makes you much slower.

We are just trying to help!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #71
EYEHAVEYOU
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3 ZCP IB/IR

Garage List
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspyrops View Post
Don't any of you dare to think you can ever imitate Ayrton. Shame on you for bringing him up. His death still is met with a chill down my spine.

Btw it doesn't look like he's heel toe'ing there it's like half his foot is on one pedal and half on the other !!! What a master!!!
I know we've gone a little OT, but you're spot on in your second paragraph - heel and toe is often a misnomer, depending on foot size and pedal placement. Most people I know (myself included) simply use the "half and half" approach you're seeing; while depressing the brake pedal with the left half of the foot, I roll the right half onto the gas to blip it. Obviously I can't do it like Senna, but the video demonstrates the concept.

See how you like the shifts with the auto-rev match, and then try it yourself in Sport+ mode. My #1 wish is also to have the option of when rev-match is enabled/disabled.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #72
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Here is what I would like to see in m3. No I drive option. Dislike the screen even for changing radio stations. AC sync button a must. Painted carbon roof. Want the weight savings but prefer painted look. Drop the arcade M logo from instrument cluster. Offer lighter manual seats and fixed mirrors. Find the guy that did the 1M exhaust and let him do it for M3/M4 and put switch to turn active sound off. Put a place to put the key. The keyless thing is a croc. You can get in without the fob but you still have to pull it out to unlock passenger doors. Then you still need it to lock car when you leave. Finally, part of fun of manual is doing own heel and toe so nice if you had option to disable it. Not a biggie since it goes away when in max fun mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #73
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post
Most people I know (myself included) simply use the "half and half" approach you're seeing; while depressing the brake pedal with the left half of the foot, I roll the right half onto the gas to blip it.
I used to do the half and half thing too. But these were all in cars that had the throttle pedal hinged at the top. When I got my E92 M3 I couldn't do this because the throttle is hinged at the bottom. The only way it works for me in the m3 is to put my toe on the brake and heel on the throttle -- at the bottom of the pedal so I have enough leverage to get sufficient throttle opening. It's easier of course if you're driving aggressively; but if you're not driving aggressively you need the extra leverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post
See how you like the shifts with the auto-rev match, and then try it yourself in Sport+ mode. My #1 wish is also to have the option of when rev-match is enabled/disabled.
+1, as everyone here is saying.

Cheers.
      07-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #74
GBPackerfan1963
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5 2007 E60 550i

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Here is what I would like to see in m3. No I drive option. Dislike the screen even for changing radio stations. AC sync button a must. Painted carbon roof. Want the weight savings but prefer painted look. Drop the arcade M logo from instrument cluster. Offer lighter manual seats and fixed mirrors. Find the guy that did the 1M exhaust and let him do it for M3/M4 and put switch to turn active sound off. Put a place to put the key. The keyless thing is a croc. You can get in without the fob but you still have to pull it out to unlock passenger doors. Then you still need it to lock car when you leave. Finally, part of fun of manual is doing own heel and toe so nice if you had option to disable it. Not a biggie since it goes away when in max fun mode.
Can't you program the FOB to unlock all doors or just the drivers door? Do you have Comfort Access?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #75
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
... fixed mirrors.

Cheers.
      07-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #76
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serieD View Post
Out of all the stuff on this thread so far, this is hands down the most important one to be acknowledged.

Absolutely no reason the auto-blip feature isn't customizable. It's technology that has been around for a few years now, BMW should've made this something that the driver can pick-and-choose when he/she wants it.

+1
hopefully its as easy as just pulling a fuse but yeah right.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #77
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

Cheers.
His break when he looks in them.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #78
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It's funny because I've never heel-toed on any of my manual transmission automobiles during down shifting, what's the point?
is this for real? i heel toe 100% of the time - even in the parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #79
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I ain't no Senna but I can heel toe with the best of them! If you go through the whole video, you can see I ain't no Senna towards the end.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #80
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

^Heel and toe is going to be a moot point with this car anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #81
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
I ain't no Senna but I can heel toe with the best of them! If you go through the whole video, you can see I ain't no Senna towards the end.
very cool vid! Thanks for posting, really enjoyed to Pic-in-Pic view. Post more : )
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #82
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
very cool vid! Thanks for posting, really enjoyed to Pic-in-Pic view. Post more : )
that was the first event that i went dual cam action and it was a pita to put the pip together haha....the only other ones are from full sessions from that same day. the next event i went to, the second cam crapped out so i just loaded my attempt at powerslides. no foot cam though.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 09:26 PM   #83
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Two things to say about the F80/F82 that are negative:

1) No A/C Sync button

2) No seat belt height adjustment

Other than that, kudos to you guys. These are easy fixes, I would most definitely consider them when your next model refresh comes around.
Those are my biggest grips after my two days with the car in Germany as well.
      07-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #84
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
No Jeeves, no adjustable bolsters, shitty-looking doors without the old hindged compartments. All things that will be missed.

I have zero hope for any of it, but I hope LCI brings a better palette and DTM tails.
Why does everyone say the bolsters aren't adjustable? They are!
      07-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #85
RickMonet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
Nice video and great foot work!

Love the exhaust note too.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #86
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
OK let me be more precise about downshifting because you folks are harping on me here a little bit. The way I downshift I don't get a jerk because I don't release the clutch fast, I release it fast until I reach the friction point and then I hold it there until it realizes it is going into gear and this minimizes the jerk. That's firstly. Secondly I don't downshift more than one gear at a time, I always downshift one at a time and I think doing it 2 at a time further increases the jerky motion, plus IMHO it's not a clean way to downshift it's "cheating" in my book. Thirdly, I rarely downshift because I'm not in Canada anymore and I don't need to slow down without pummeling the brakes and sliding on ice or snow. This was my favorite way to brake on ice and snow.
This is the way my buddy downshifted his e46 M3. Needed a new clutch at 50,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #87
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I used to do the half and half thing too. But these were all in cars that had the throttle pedal hinged at the top. When I got my E92 M3 I couldn't do this because the throttle is hinged at the bottom. The only way it works for me in the m3 is to put my toe on the brake and heel on the throttle -- at the bottom of the pedal so I have enough leverage to get sufficient throttle opening. It's easier of course if you're driving aggressively; but if you're not driving aggressively you need the extra leverage.

+1, as everyone here is saying.

Cheers.
isn't there more leverage the further away from the fixed point of lever (fulcrum)?

so blipping at the top will make it a lot easier to do. i tried both but found that it takes too much effort (like you said easier in aggressive driving) to press down with the heel.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #88
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Better panel matching. Looks like the damn hood is not shut!
Appreciate 0