BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #23
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Looks Great!!

I have a 2015 YMB M4 with black interior..

My service manager actually wants to buy it from me after it gets out of the shop for some repairs from my accident.

Dealer has a SS ZCP M4 in stock and I told him lets work out a deal

Only thing it is missing is Full Leather.
A little bummed it has the Black Leather in it as well.. If it was full id prob be a little more excited.. bummed the interior is exactly the same as my current ...

But not gonna stop me if I can swing a good deal.

will more know on Friday

I did start the ZCP up... exhaust is Mucho Better and just as you stated in your review the seats are better as well.. they definitely hold you better and the lack of lumbar for me is actually a good thing.. I hate the lumbar controls.. I have tried to dial them in numerous times and can never get the seat to fell quite right.. the ZCP has just enough padding for me and the lumbar would actually just get in the way again.
      05-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #24
M3 2016
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 330ci, 535d, M3 Comp Pak S/O

Thank you for taking the time to put up a solid review! makes my delivery coming up much more exciting.

i wanted to ask what is you past experience with adding spacers and lowering springs. my worry is the effect on the long term running of the car and of course the warranty. all posts show that pushing the wheel gap's makes the car look so much better but is it worth it in the long run?

thank you in advance for any advice and first hand knowledge you can pass on to a first time M car buyer
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #25
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Thanks for the write-up and congratulations. That is a pretty nice impulse buy!

I'm living on threads like this as I wait for June 3rd!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #26
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo_1092 View Post
Thank you so much for this write up!!! Very well done and explained all of the questions I have had. With the new seats, just want to confirm that there is absolutely not lumbar support at all (ie the stock seats with the lumbar completely zeroed out?) Looks beautiful!!!!
They are perfect, to me. Like another poster mentioned, the lumbar adjustments never seem to feel just right to me, I pretty much never touched it. The ZCP seats feel better.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:08 PM   #27
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega4 View Post
Looks Great!!

I have a 2015 YMB M4 with black interior..

My service manager actually wants to buy it from me after it gets out of the shop for some repairs from my accident.

Dealer has a SS ZCP M4 in stock and I told him lets work out a deal

Only thing it is missing is Full Leather.
A little bummed it has the Black Leather in it as well.. If it was full id prob be a little more excited.. bummed the interior is exactly the same as my current ...

But not gonna stop me if I can swing a good deal.

will more know on Friday

I did start the ZCP up... exhaust is Mucho Better and just as you stated in your review the seats are better as well.. they definitely hold you better and the lack of lumbar for me is actually a good thing.. I hate the lumbar controls.. I have tried to dial them in numerous times and can never get the seat to fell quite right.. the ZCP has just enough padding for me and the lumbar would actually just get in the way again.
Good luck! I agree on the lumbar thing, I couldn't get my 2015 to feel perfect. They were good, but I like the ZCP's a lot more. They remind me of the Recaro's in my Evo VIII, but better.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:08 PM   #28
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

I think these wheels look great on SS, I just can't like them on AW.

Awesome car!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #29
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
As some of my fellow forum members already know, I sold my 2015 BSM 6MT M4 and was recently delivered a 2016 SSII M4 ZCP DCT.

Backstory: I was getting ready to go out of town and dropped off my wife's 2015 X3 Xdrive28d for an oil change and maintenance service at my dealership. As I'm waiting to be seen, I noticed a crowd of people checking out a Silverstone M4 in the showroom, which I quickly realized was an M4 ZCP. To make a long story short, the car was the only ZCP in Florida had just come in recently. I sold my 2015 BSM M4 the next day to a different dealer and finalized the deal on the M4 ZCP before I left town. Everything worked out great and I was delivered the M4 ZCP the day I returned in town (yesterday).

2015 M4 non-ZCP: I spent 1.3 years in the 2015 and pushed it pretty hard during that time, so I'm very familiar with the car at all levels. The 2015 M4 was a spectacular sports car, but there were some things that bothered me about the car. Things like interior rattles, speakers that sound like they're blown at medium to high volumes, some fit and finish issues, stock exhaust note and ASD, to name a few. I won't go into all of my "issues" with the 2015 M4, but overall it was an awesome car that stood out from the competition, despite my gripes (a lot of which were mitigated by aftermarket solutions).

2016 M4 ZCP: So, when I first saw my car in the showroom (before I bought it), I realized instantly that this car was special as compared to my 2015 M4. I wasn't too crazy about the 666M wheels until I saw them in person as they have to be seen in the flesh to appreciate. The ZCP just looks really "put together".

From a performance standpoint, these two cars a VERY different. The 2015 was a great performer, but the 2016 ZCP is next level. Factor in the amazing DCT and I feel like I'm driving a completely different car.

Handling: The car is more planted (especially stock) and traction isn't an issue at stock power levels in both straight line and lateral metrics. I can still easily make the car oversteer, but the ZCP is much more predictable, controllable and COMPLIANT. There is a lot less body roll in the ZCP and I can certainly feel the refined dampers in all modes. I do wish the ZCP's new springs were a little lower as the car looks like a 4x4, especially since the suspension hasn't completely settled. The stock ZCP handles better than my 2015 on Swift Spec R springs, which says a lot as those springs are excellent on the non-ZCP setup. I haven't taken this one to the track obviously, but turn-in is crisp and predictable and I can get on the power earlier on exit than I could with my 2015 M4, even on stock boost. I expect these characteristics to really shine on the track as compared to the non-ZCP.

The 20 inch wheels are awesome and will look good once dropped and spaced. They need to be seen before you pass judgment on them. However, they might not be for everybody, I get that.

Power: I can feel a difference in stock power for sure. Being an ex-dyno tuner, I have a VERY specific way of seating the rings that requires a lot of patience, but as I approach the end of my ring break-in (around 150 miles), I'm starting to push the car harder and harder and I can certainly feel the difference, especially on the top end of the rev-range. I will update this post with further info on power once I fully unleash the car. Unfortunately, rings aren't the only thing that needs to break-in as bearing surfaces on the rotating assembly and cam shafts/valve train need to bed-in as does the transmission components and rear end. So I won't fully beat on the car for awhile yet.

Exhaust: I'm not exactly sure what has changed, but the exhaust is different on the ZCP. It could simply be in the resonator design or it could be in the actual muffler, but it DOES sound different and MUCH MUCH MUCH improved over the 2015 M4 non-ZCP. My stock ZCP is almost as loud as the 2015 non-ZCP with VRSF downpipes paired with a completely stock exhaust. I'm serious. It is deeper, hardly any rasp and no rattles. The exhaust note is drastically different with valves open and closed. When in Sport and Sport +, the exhaust comes alive and the ZCP programming keeps the valves open much more, despite the gear you're in which is what I hated about the 2015 with stock valve control (the valves closed in Sport + regardless once you hit 3rd gear or higher). When in Sport + the overrun burbles really make the M4 sound mean as hell and there really is no need for an aftermarket exhaust beyond adding downpipes. I imagine this stock setup will sound perfect with downpipes (VRSF downpipes will go on shortly). Those pops and burbles on the overrun are actually pretty aggressive in Sport + and they turn heads everywhere. The base M4 should have this setup from the start, IMHO.*

The startup sequence is different as well and sounds identical to the GTS "roar" startup. At first startup, the valves are open for about 1 second and the engine is quickly revved to 2k RPM with dramtic crackles on the run-down to idle. Once the sequence is complete, the valves lock closed unless you select Sport/Sport+ throttle mapping. This startup sequence is a small touch, but really adds to the immersion. On cold start, I noticed that idle sits around 1200 rpm until the warmup sequence is complete as opposed to the non-ZCP that holds at a much higher RPM. Because of this, cold start is MUCH quieter after the initial "roar", but more "dramtic".

Interior: Now, a common myth circulating is that the ZCP seats are really no different than the non-ZCP seats (beyond being lighter and having holes), but this is INCORRECT. The ZCP seats are better bolstered and wrap around me totally different than the non-ZCP seats, especially in the shoulder area. It's easily visible to my eye and they really show their differences as soon as you crawl into them. They are not the same. The are comfortable, at least to me and I'm 5'11" 200 lbs. The lack of lumbar adjustment doesn't bother me one iota, in case you're wondering.

The interior of the 2016 has better fit and finish and the 2016 changes, while not drastically different, are nice as compared to the 2015 interior. This car has ZERO rattles or creaks, which is the opposite of my 2015, which had all kinds of rattles, especially in the rear deck. The car feels much more solid in that respect.

*Overall, I HIGHLY recommend ticking that ZCP box if you can swing it. I'd forgo other options to have the ZCP, without a second thought. For sports cars that I buy, I usually spec them close to stripper-level as I prefer them to be as light as possible, so the ZCP is a no-brainier and worth every penny.*

I may have missed a few things, so if you think of something, ask and I will happily reply. I will post better pics of the car once I get around to taking them this week.

See, a much better writer then me.

My ONLY disagreement... Are the seats. I'm also 5'11"... 195lbs.

I did 17,000 miles in my 15 M4, and just completed 2,377 miles in 9 days in the CP Car.

TO ME... seats are completely the same.

I did have 2 track days in the new car car also.

I AM NOT a track guy.. Just saying to me... With PLENTY of seat time.

They are the same feeling. Wife also agreed. No difference.

I think we may have an on going 60/40% people feeling one way over the other.

EDIT... I NEVER used lumbar anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #30
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 2016 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to put up a solid review! makes my delivery coming up much more exciting.

i wanted to ask what is you past experience with adding spacers and lowering springs. my worry is the effect on the long term running of the car and of course the warranty. all posts show that pushing the wheel gap's makes the car look so much better but is it worth it in the long run?

thank you in advance for any advice and first hand knowledge you can pass on to a first time M car buyer
I've lowered all of my previous cars, it's usually the first thing I do. My 2015 BMW M4 was lowered on Swift Spec R springs and they were awesome.

Lowering springs will wear out a set of dampers earlier than normal, especially with a high spring rate. How much faster than normal? That's hard to say really. If you're worried about wearing out your stock dampers, go with a decent coilover that's properly valved for the spring rate you want to use.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:14 PM   #31
cprx7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i;

Congrats on the new ride, I really like that color and the wheels
Thanks for the great review and for not keeping us waiting for a long time. I agree with you on the 666 as they really need to be seen in the flesh to appreciate.
I have always been a and still am a fan of rowing gears but this time I'm going with DCT and hopefully I will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed a Cayenne GTS auto.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #32
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post

I did 17,000 miles in my 15 M4, and just completed 2,377 miles in 9 days in the CP Car.

The stock seats are good, really good actually.

But the ZCP seats are different, I can show you the difference in a side-by-side pic. The ZCP have a different shape in the bolsters and shoulder wrap around. It might not be as evident to some, but it was very noticeable to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #33
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:

But the ZCP seats are different, I can show you the difference in a side-by-side pic. The ZCP have a different shape in the bolsters and shoulder wrap around. It might not be as evident to some, but it was very noticeable to me.
So I'm gigantic. 6'7" 285. Do you feel that these seats will be harder for me to be comfortable in vs the standard?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #34
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post

Maybe with all the damn food we ate over there... Made them feel the same... Sometimes you cannot feel your fat pushing in.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #35
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
So I'm gigantic. 6'7" 285. Do you feel that these seats will be harder for me to be comfortable in vs the standard?
Probably not. The seats come standard with a seat width adjustment. There is a ton of room for adjustment, btw. You just don't get the lumbar adjustment.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2016, 03:42 PM   #36
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Probably not. The seats come standard with a seat width adjustment. There is a ton of room for adjustment, btw. You just don't get the lumbar adjustment.
The only problem I had in the standard was it took me a while to get used to the leg bolsters kinda digging into my thighs. Those are non-adjustable on the 15 non-ZCP. Any change there?

BTW I wouldnt have talked you into the ZCP had I known you were gonna DCT it up :P lol yes I'm still on about that! #SaveTheManuals
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:43 PM   #37
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

I feel like a 2015 M3 6MT and 2015 M3 DCT feel like totally different monsters on the track and daily driving. DCT cars are always louder and their throttle responses are always more immediate.

It's too bad you didn't opt for another 6MT or this review would have been different.

Have fun w/ this one and drive it hard man, congrats!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #38
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M P View Post
Very nice!

If you don't mind, what is your process for breaking in the rings? I'll have my chance to do that in about a week and a half.

It's a long process and is better you don't attempt it unless you know what you're doing. It's not rocket science, but it is a little complicated.

I wrote a post about this a long time ago on this forum, I'll see if I can track it down.

Basically, you want to seat the rings against the cylinder wall and have the rings conform to the wall of the cylinder (cylinder lining wearing into the rings) as opposed to the rings wearing into the cylinder lining. If you put too much heat on them, the cylinder wall will glaze, not enough heat and the rings won't properly seat. The most critical part is the first 50 miles or so.

I have broken-in countless engines on the dyno and street and my procedure has always produced engines that had less blow-by, therefore producing more power and consuming far less oil.

I'll update this post when I find the link. I don't have time to retype the whole procedure.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:04 PM   #39
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
I feel like a 2015 M3 6MT and 2015 M3 DCT feel like totally different monsters on the track and daily driving. DCT cars are always louder and their throttle responses are always more immediate.

It's too bad you didn't opt for another 6MT or this review would have been different.

Have fun w/ this one and drive it hard man, congrats!
I'm taking into account the big differences between the 6MT and the DCT. The DCT is certainly faster, zero doubts. Throttle response is the same, however.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #40
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
The car looks great. Please do post more pictures when you find the time. CP M4 in Silverstone is definitely something I am considering when the times comes to replace mine next year.

Thanks for sharing your impressions

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #41
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
The only problem I had in the standard was it took me a while to get used to the leg bolsters kinda digging into my thighs. Those are non-adjustable on the 15 non-ZCP. Any change there?

BTW I wouldnt have talked you into the ZCP had I known you were gonna DCT it up :P lol yes I'm still on about that! #SaveTheManuals
I'd have to look again, but I don't think the ZCP seats had thigh bolster adjustments.

I really didn't have much of a choice on this car as the car had a DCT. I have secretly wanted a DCT for awhile now (before the M4 was even conceived). My experience in the GT-R and Evo X piqued that interest years ago. The M4's M-DCT performs better than those two, if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #42
Dr. Who
Banned
Rep
Drives: Tardis

Excellent!

Quote:
My 2015 didn't look cheap and to be honest the materials are the same, minus the leather/cloth seats/door cards. The 2015 had a lot of gaps between interior pieces and just looked a little less tight than the 2016. Where I really notice the difference are the rattles and creaks as the 2016 has zero and the 2015 sounded like a 2005 Kia Rio on the interior, especially toward the rear deck.
Great Write up!

As far as the Creaks and Rattles go, I'm sure you took into consideration that one's Brand Spanking New!
Did the 2015 make these noises from the start? If so,that's actually good news (for some). IF not, how
long before the 2K16 begins to haunt your aural nerves?

Oh! On another note, I don't understand why everyone's so obsessed the Lumbar Support. If I had a bad back
and needed Lumbar Support, I wouldn't even consider any sub-model/special edition labeled, "Competition...".

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #43
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
Great Write up!

As far as the Creaks and Rattles go, I'm sure you took into consideration that one's Brand Spanking New!
Did the 2015 make these noises from the start? If so,that's actually good news (for some). IF not, how
long before the 2K16 begins to haunt your aural nerves?

Oh! On another note, I don't understand why everyone's so obsessed the Lumbar Support. If I had a bad back
and needed Lumbar Support, I wouldn't even consider any sub-model/special edition labeled, "Competition...".

Thanks again!
The 2015 had rattles on the first day.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:22 PM   #44
deephouse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Is it possible to order the ZCP package with different wheels?
Appreciate 0