Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #23
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Did you give them 5k or did they let you roll the msd?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 07:49 PM   #24
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
Did you give them 5k or did they let you roll the msd?
will find out tomorrow...they were closed today. Either they roll it (grandfathered in), or I will have to give it up front and they will send me check back

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 09:05 PM   #25
R-M4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 M CP

Love the 437M wheels!!!!
Nice M3!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 01:31 AM   #26
Skid123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Looks like a good deal on the 18M3. At this price M3 is a no brainer!

BTW how come the car has adaptive led but without exec pkg?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 08:44 AM   #27
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid123 View Post

I think you could get early 2018 with just the lights. I would guess the build date is mid 2017.

Current: 2022 M3 CompX, 2024 M2 6-Spd
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #28
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:

Most M3s come with adaptive headlights, even if you don't add Executive Package. Nobody knows why, it is kind of a lottery.

Some of the working theories include the fact that maybe there were parts shortages for the standard headlights or even that it is more expensive to switch the assembly line to install different models.

There are a few threads about this.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #29
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

So what do you guys think? I know in this forum "M3 >> *" is the mentality, rightfully so, but hopefully I get some pragmatic and sensible answers:

A) $5000 down (including fees and 1st month), $535/mo, 36 x 10k miles/mo

OR

B) $5000 down (only $800 out my pocket, since I have $4200 MSD), $650/mo x 36, 10k per yer

**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #30
erictrainer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 6MT MG on SO

For 100 bucks difference its a no brainer. Since you are asking for sensible answers think about how much higher the MSRP (at least 10K more guesstimate) is on the M3 vs the Audi, but at the end of the day you are only paying 3600 more (100 more/month). In other words you are getting more bang for your buck on the M3.

Another thing to keep in mind, which you haven't brought up specifically but I'm sure it's within your thoughts, that 6MT is going to make the car feel very different.

My money is on the M3 all the way!

Last edited by erictrainer; 04-23-2018 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: No ZCP
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #31
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

lol, i thought you'd actually already decided to get the black M3. i'm far from a BMW/M fanboy, but even i am really struggling to come up with a case in favor of the Audi.

the only possible advantage i guess is the ~$100 a month payment. if you absolutely, positively can't swing the extra $100 every month, then get the Audi. but then again you have a far smaller initial cash outlay with the M so if you have cash flow issues, i am gonna guess that the M is still the better choice for not having to find $5k cash right now.

the M is a better car - again, i think even Audi would concede this - and its base price is like $15k higher than the S4. and even then you're only leasing for $100 a month more, as erictrainer said.

you're not getting that deal in So. FL, are you? i've never seen those kinds of numbers being thrown around out here.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #32
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
So what do you guys think? I know in this forum "M3 >> *" is the mentality, rightfully so, but hopefully I get some pragmatic and sensible answers:

A) $5000 down (including fees and 1st month), [COLOR="Red"]$535/mo[/COLOR], 36 x 10k miles/mo

[SIZE="7"]OR[/SIZE]

B) $5000 down (only $800 out my pocket, since I have $4200 MSD), [COLOR="red"]$650/mo x 36[/COLOR], 10k per yer

Don't even think about it anymore hehe.

If the money is tight and you are worried about what an extra 100 might do to your finances, then downgrade all the way to a base 320.

Otherwise there is no contest here. M3 all the way. I don't know the particular numbers here but if you are looking for bang for your buck, bear in mind Audi's have terrible financing programs, so you are paying a higher finance charge in proportion.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #33
Stryder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Rocketship

That's a good looking S4. I say go for it and have a change of scenery- will probably be a good thing for getting a move on from the divorce.

I think your original F80 looks way better than the black one you're currently considering, FWIW.
      04-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #34
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 IR BMW M4

If you can afford it I would say go with the M3. Personally my philosophy is I would rather spend 100k (for example) for something I love than 75k for anything because I know every time I see that car I really wanted I'll just have a 75k buyers remorse feeling
      04-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #35
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f82fanatic View Post

If the money is tight and you are worried about what an extra 100 might do to your finances, then downgrade all the way to a base 320.

Otherwise there is no contest here. M3 all the way. I don't know the particular numbers here but if you are looking for bang for your buck, bear in mind Audi's have terrible financing programs, so you are paying a higher finance charge in proportion.
I got the ACTUAL numbers from the guy, and now that pen was almost on paper, the numbers are actually a little different

1) M3: $6000 down (not $5000), and $669/mo

2) S4: $5000 down, and $534.19/mo... AND, they will take care of my last month of the M3 (~$600) and will cover disposition fee for end of lease ($350), so that's another $1000 off.

I think I'm gonna go S4.... that's $135/mo less, $2000 less up front overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
That's a good looking S4. I say go for it and have a change of scenery- will probably be a good thing for getting a move on from the divorce.

I think your original F80 looks way better than the black one you're currently considering, FWIW.
I think so, I'm with you. I will save up that extra $4k and use up as downpayment for the G80 M3 in 3 years time when is out, right when I finish this Lease.

It will be a change of scenery, and if it sucks, it will make me want the G80 M3 even more then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahbatage View Post
If you can afford it I would say go with the M3. Personally my philosophy is I would rather spend 100k (for example) for something I love than 75k for anything because I know every time I see that car I really wanted I'll just have a 75k buyers remorse feeling
I'm the same way, I hear you...but the numbers are not exact as I just posted.

Point still valid, but $2k less up front, AND, $135/mo less, is not huge but not negligible either.

Appreciate 1
      04-23-2018, 05:16 PM   #36
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I got the ACTUAL numbers from the guy, and now that pen was almost on paper, the numbers are actually a little different

1) M3: $6000 down (not $5000), and $669/mo

2) S4: $5000 down, and $534.19/mo... AND, they will take care of my last month of the M3 (~$600) and will cover disposition fee for end of lease ($350), so that's another $1000 off.

I think I'm gonna go S4.... that's $135/mo less, $2000 less up front overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder View Post

I think so, I'm with you. I will save up that extra $4k and use up as downpayment for the G80 M3 in 3 years time when is out, right when I finish this Lease.

It will be a change of scenery, and if it sucks, it will make me want the G80 M3 even more then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahbatage View Post
I'm the same way, I hear you...but the numbers are not exact as I just posted.

Point still valid, but $2k less up front, AND, $135/mo less, is not huge but not negligible either.
I see...

We'll have you driven the S4? It definitely looks very cool. Just make sure you like how Audis drive. My personal experience has been that they are less sporty, but maybe that has changed.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #37
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Pretty much the same thought as Darth One given what have happened.

I would argue that S4 is not a downgrade - it simply caters to a different audience. AWD with torque vectoring makes it not too far off M in ultimate speed. And for the small amount of sportiness it loses to M, it gains in a plush interior and a much more comfortable ride.

Besides, the BMW select deal looks like a money pit. Yes you have equity at the end of it but seems to me at a very high cost. (46k principal and 55k total expense? Even factor in tax, the financial charge seems to be extraordinary. Did I miss anything?)
You can argue all you want, but its a terrible argument. The S4 would get destroyed on a track, and in all out performance. Sure, around town, blasting away from stop lights, in a straight line you have a point but its a narrow focused argument.

Now if all you do is drive around town and never really drive spiritedly then the case for the M makes less sense. But you can't say with a straight face that the the S4 is not a downgrade from an F80. Even the manufacturer would tell you they aren't competitors.

Lol @ small amount of sportiness difference, good one man!

I do agree that the Audi has a nicer interior and frankly its not close. Audi does an awesome job with their interiors.

----

Anyway in your case maybe getting the cheaper car that is still very respectable the S4 is your best bet. In a vacuum the M3 is the clear choice but life doesn't work like that. BTW I owned a B8 S4 for several years and it was really a good car. I had to put about $6K of mods into it to feel right, but it I really enjoyed it. The B9's S4's follow the same recipe for the most part and the TT V6 is a gem. It's a softer car which you know, but its still sporty and super nice.

Last edited by neilum; 04-23-2018 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #38
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see...

We'll have you driven the S4? It definitely looks very cool. Just make sure you like how Audis drive. My personal experience has been that they are less sporty, but maybe that has changed.
yep, i test drove the car today...it was as expected:

* great interior, honestly better than the M3! those seats and steering wheel, and the virtual cockpit were amazing.
* power was less than impressive, on par with a 340i, BUT, i expected that. I'm sure with a tune I will be back to Stock M3 territory. The driving dynamics are not as good, but again, expected.
* Has everything but HUD, which is the same issue as the M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
You can argue all you want, but its a terrible argument. The S4 would get destroyed on a track, and in all out performance. Sure, around town, blasting away from stop lights, in a straight line you have a point but its a narrow focused argument.

Now if all you do is drive around town and never really drive spiritedly then the case for the M makes less sense. But you can't say with a straight face that the the S4 is not a downgrade from an F80. Even the manufacturer would tell you they aren't competitors.

I do agree that the Audi has a nicer interior and frankly its not close. Audi does an awesome job with their interiors.

----

Anyway in your case maybe getting the cheaper car that is still very respectable the S4 is your best bet. In a vacuum the M3 is the clear choice but life doesn't work like that. BTW I owned a B8 S4 for several years and it was really a good car. I had to put about $6K of mods into it to feel right, but it I really enjoyed it. The B9's S4's follow the same recipe for the most part and the TT V6 is a gem. It's a softer car which you know, but its still sporty and super nice.
yes, unfortunately I wont be doing much tracking and going on twisties any more for the next couple of years. Life changes

so I just need a great comfortable and good looking DD and city car, and the S4 is not a bad option.

better than getting into a C300, or Lexus IS300, or whatever.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 06:26 PM   #39
f82fanatic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I see...

yep, i test drove the car today...it was as expected:

* great interior, honestly better than the M3! those seats and steering wheel, and the virtual cockpit were amazing.
* power was less than impressive, on par with a 340i, BUT, i expected that. I'm sure with a tune I will be back to Stock M3 territory. The driving dynamics are not as good, but again, expected.
* Has everything but HUD, which is the same issue as the M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post

----

yes, unfortunately I wont be doing much tracking and going on twisties any more for the next couple of years. Life changes

so I just need a great comfortable and good looking DD and city car, and the S4 is not a bad option.

better than getting into a C300, or Lexus IS300, or whatever.
Car looks great, you have tested and loved it, and it fits your financial needs.

Purchase approved! Hehe. It looks like you are leaning towards the Audi, and honestly it makes sense for You from what you have discussed here. I would pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 06:49 PM   #40
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Car looks great, you have tested and loved it, and it fits your financial needs.

Purchase approved! Hehe. It looks like you are leaning towards the Audi, and honestly it makes sense for You from what you have discussed here. I would pull the trigger.
yeah, i'm not sure I 'LOVED" it, but it's a slightly cheaper alternative.

the way I see it:
- Less money up front ($1000)
- $135/mo cheaper ...not huge, but not negligible. that's $4k in the life of the lease
- great interior, comfortable, badass electronics

- lacks the M3 power and drive, and also has no HUD (much like the M3 i found)

so fuk it, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go a little frugal and save some money. I will be back the M family in due time

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 07:42 PM   #41
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

I'm obviously in the minority, but I like the S4's looks in this generation.

If I was having budget issues, I wouldn't be looking at either, I'd be in the Camry you joked about.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2018, 07:51 PM   #42
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
I'm obviously in the minority, but I like the S4's looks in this generation.

If I was having budget issues, I wouldn't be looking at either, I'd be in the Camry you joked about.
sorry, that's not happening. You can say what you want about me, but it's hard enough losing almost everything in a nasty divorce, and to compound that with also downgrading from 3 generations of M3's to a camry is just not gonna happen.

it's pretty tough moving from a nice house and nice retirement, to renting for now and having to build up again, but I'll be damned if I at least don't have a ride that at least gives me SOME level of satisfaction and comfort. I'm a car guy thru and thru, and driving a camry or similar would be slowly killing my essence and little happiness i have left.

if i was unemployed or lost my job to a crappy job, that's a different story, but i'm still gainfully employed and the car is the only little light of "positive" I have left, and I'm not about to sacrifice that for $200/mo savings.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #43
Stryder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Rocketship

Quote:
sorry, that's not happening. You can say what you want about me, but it's hard enough losing almost everything in a nasty divorce, and to compound that with also downgrading from 3 generations of M3's to a camry is just not gonna happen.

it's pretty tough moving from a nice house and nice retirement, to renting for now and having to build up again, but I'll be damned if I at least don't have a ride that at least gives me SOME level of satisfaction and comfort. I'm a car guy thru and thru, and driving a camry or similar would be slowly killing my essence and little happiness i have left.

if i was unemployed or lost my job to a crappy job, that's a different story, but i'm still gainfully employed and the car is the only little light of "positive" I have left, and I'm not about to sacrifice that for $200/mo savings.
It's a damn good car too especially for day-to-day if you aren't into tracking it. Enjoy it, I'm sure you'll be back in the M scene in no time.
      04-23-2018, 10:24 PM   #44
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

As I have both a 2018 S4 and a 2016 M3, I can definitely say the S4 is a fantastic car. You'll enjoy it, I promise!

It may also look boring to us "enthusiasts" who are used to driving extroverted M cars, but I get compliments everywhere I drive it... Especially if/when people see the interior.
Appreciate 2
JTO245274.50
Ghosn463.50